Epson 7890 refillable cartridges

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions
guidodg
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Epson 7890 refillable cartridges
Aug 2, 2012

I am about to order an Epson 7890 large format printer for printing fine art photography.

Can anyone give some advice on whether I should stick to original Epson ink cartridges or perhaps try some aftermarket ones...perhaps even refillable ones?

Thanks

guidodg's gear list:guidodg's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,368
Like?
Re: Epson 7890 refillable cartridges
In reply to guidodg, Aug 2, 2012

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.11/category.46914/.f

There are others, like inkjetcarts.us that I believe also have these.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,341
Like?

guidodg wrote:

I am about to order an Epson 7890 large format printer for printing fine art photography.

Can anyone give some advice on whether I should stick to original Epson ink cartridges or perhaps try some aftermarket ones...perhaps even refillable ones?

It would be a bit like buying half a dozen lenses with your first camera, without knowing what you might end up shooting.

With the included 150 ml cartridges, it might be quite some time before you need to replace one, and the shelf life of pigment ink while quite long, is not infinite.
Brian A

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?

guidodg wrote:

This suggests that archival qualities are important to your product.

There are no third party ink suppliers that routinely submit their products for independent archival testing the way Epson does. That is not a concern for printing flyers, brochures, text documents, and other items where longevity is not a primary concern. But when high quality photography is the product, OEM inks are worth the price.

On a secondary level, what advantage is there to a refillable cartridge compared to the 350ml standard cartridges?

The Epson 7890 uses 8 inks and supposedly an average print uses about 1.5ml per square foot... which means that 8 each 350ml cartridges can yield about 1866 square feet of print. A 40 foot roll of canvas is 80 square feet, so that would be 23 rolls, conservatively!

You'll need to be a very busy printer to see any economy in buying ink in quantities larger than 350ml per cartridge!

johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Apr 4, 2013

Be careful -- the cartridges contain a chip that records the ink Manufacturer.  Using anything other than Epson ink will void the warranty.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,368
Like?
In reply to johnznyc, Apr 4, 2013

Be careful -- the cartridges contain a chip that records the ink Manufacturer.  Using anything other than Epson ink will void the warranty.

It does not.!

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,354
Like?
In reply to guidodg, Apr 5, 2013

guidodg wrote:

Thanks

Hi I have recently taken delivery of a 7890 (I also have the 4800). I would not consider using OM's inks. Printing professionally is agame until itself, and adding an unknown variable is not my idea of fun, so I have always stuck to the manufacturers inks. My only problem with the printer so far has been the cutter. It often does not cut right across the full 24" when using roll paper whether telling the printing software (I use Qimage) or cutting manually via the machine. Do keep in touch with me regarding your experiences of the printe as comparing notes could be usefully for us both.

As the warranty lasts for thefirst year I will be phoning Epson re the cutter, just haven't had time a yet.

Jules

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads