Epson 7890 refillable cartridges

Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions
guidodg
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Epson 7890 refillable cartridges
Aug 2, 2012

I am about to order an Epson 7890 large format printer for printing fine art photography.

Can anyone give some advice on whether I should stick to original Epson ink cartridges or perhaps try some aftermarket ones...perhaps even refillable ones?

Thanks

guidodg's gear list:guidodg's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,606
Like?
Re: Epson 7890 refillable cartridges
In reply to guidodg, Aug 2, 2012

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.11/category.46914/.f

There are others, like inkjetcarts.us that I believe also have these.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,485
Like?

guidodg wrote:

I am about to order an Epson 7890 large format printer for printing fine art photography.

Can anyone give some advice on whether I should stick to original Epson ink cartridges or perhaps try some aftermarket ones...perhaps even refillable ones?

It would be a bit like buying half a dozen lenses with your first camera, without knowing what you might end up shooting.

With the included 150 ml cartridges, it might be quite some time before you need to replace one, and the shelf life of pigment ink while quite long, is not infinite.
Brian A

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?

guidodg wrote:

This suggests that archival qualities are important to your product.

There are no third party ink suppliers that routinely submit their products for independent archival testing the way Epson does. That is not a concern for printing flyers, brochures, text documents, and other items where longevity is not a primary concern. But when high quality photography is the product, OEM inks are worth the price.

On a secondary level, what advantage is there to a refillable cartridge compared to the 350ml standard cartridges?

The Epson 7890 uses 8 inks and supposedly an average print uses about 1.5ml per square foot... which means that 8 each 350ml cartridges can yield about 1866 square feet of print. A 40 foot roll of canvas is 80 square feet, so that would be 23 rolls, conservatively!

You'll need to be a very busy printer to see any economy in buying ink in quantities larger than 350ml per cartridge!

johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Apr 4, 2013

Be careful -- the cartridges contain a chip that records the ink Manufacturer.  Using anything other than Epson ink will void the warranty.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,606
Like?
In reply to johnznyc, Apr 4, 2013

Be careful -- the cartridges contain a chip that records the ink Manufacturer.  Using anything other than Epson ink will void the warranty.

It does not.!

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to guidodg, Apr 5, 2013

guidodg wrote:

Thanks

Hi I have recently taken delivery of a 7890 (I also have the 4800). I would not consider using OM's inks. Printing professionally is agame until itself, and adding an unknown variable is not my idea of fun, so I have always stuck to the manufacturers inks. My only problem with the printer so far has been the cutter. It often does not cut right across the full 24" when using roll paper whether telling the printing software (I use Qimage) or cutting manually via the machine. Do keep in touch with me regarding your experiences of the printe as comparing notes could be usefully for us both.

As the warranty lasts for thefirst year I will be phoning Epson re the cutter, just haven't had time a yet.

Jules

PhotomasterStudios
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to apaflo, 1 month ago

I have been Printing with refillable cartridges for years with my 7600 and 4800 printers. Two years ago, it was time to replace those printer and i purchased  the 4900 and the 7890. i bought the 3 year extended warranty for the 4900. but didn't for the 7890. First year i was using the lyson ink in the machines. Worked great. Make sure you have good knowledge of ICC profiles as you have to do some adjusting to make them work good. I got lines on the prints every so often. Not due to clogging but due to air in the lines from seals that are not tight with the refillable cartridges. It was ok if you can stand over the printer to watch for line but if you can't ,you could waist a whole roll of paper. Also you have to do power cleanings to get rid of the air suck in the lines. this is a hugh waist of ink and money.

Last year we found Cone Color ink from Vermont. Ink is a perfect match to the epson ink.  But!!!!!! The ink clogges the print head and Causes the ink pads ( Going to the waist tank) to clog up. The print head on the 4900 was clogged and printer has been replaced 3 times due to the ink. BUY THE WARRANTY! The 7890 print head has been a problem too, but power cleanings tend to fix most of them. but  still had a problem with clogged ink pads. After many months of problems i noticed Cone colour placed a disclaimer on there web site about an "Issue" with there inks and the 4900 printer, and mentioned about buying the extended warrantee.

My 7890 printer was replaced with a new one. I have only used epson ink in it. I have no clogs or clogged ink pads i waist no paper due to lines and very happy to pay the higher price for the ink if i have no problems. I print School photos (6000 kids) on my printers and have used 4 rolls of 24"x100 lister paper a day! for weeks on end. This season has seen 96 rolls used by 2 printers and i have had no waist due to clogging. In Fact the machines are running so good that i can print at 740 resolution and get fantastic results.

I will have to check the Numbers but i think i saved money by buying the 700ml cartridges from epson. I don't need to do power cleanings and i only used 4 waist tanks this season compared to 15 last year. I used less paper due to waist. I'm thinking 15 rolls less. Maybe more.  But the big think is that i don't have to worry about lines or doing power cleanings or redoing orders that didn't print right the first time.

Im never going back to refillable cartridges! Its not worth the savings. in fact I think it might cost you More!

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, 1 month ago

Besides this forum and others like it, I would talk with fine art printers in your area.  What experiences are they having with OEM ink, third party ink, profiling, print longevity, etc.

Some of the 3rd party ink sellers do offer profiling as a bonus.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,939Gear list
Like?
Just my opinion
In reply to Gesture, 1 month ago

Using Epson inks in 6 printers over many years I have never had a clog that wouldn't clear. Had to use power cleaning only once. My choice - Epson inks, period.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,164Gear list
Like?
Re: Just my opinion
In reply to Steve Bingham, 1 month ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

Using Epson inks in 6 printers over many years I have never had a clog that wouldn't clear. Had to use power cleaning only once. My choice - Epson inks, period.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

My Epson 4000 clogs if I leave it unused for even a few days. One or two cleaning cycles usually clear it, but I waste a whole lot of ink on this.

-- hide signature --

The way to make a friend is to act like one.
www.jacquescornell.photography

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads