Photographer shares his Linux Workflow

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
yorugua
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Photographer shares his Linux Workflow
Aug 1, 2012
 yorugua's gear list:yorugua's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W320 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: Photographer shares his Linux Workflow
In reply to yorugua, Aug 1, 2012

Using Linux to edit photos is like using the Titanic to water ski.
--
My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, Aug 1, 2012

seilerbird666 wrote:

Correct; it's the awesomest thing in the world!

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographer shares his Linux Workflow... good article, thanks.
In reply to yorugua, Aug 2, 2012

yorugua wrote:

Hey
Saw this at reddit. Hope you like it:
http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/07/31/linux-is-sexy/
http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/07/31/linux-photo-1/

Thanks I read the Article (highly recommended) and I like it a lot, it can save you a ton of money for Licenses from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and others. Which can easily add up to a couple thousand of bucks.

What most people don't realize is that Linux is the fastest growing operating system thanks to Google and Android which is running at 900.000 activations per day (June 2012). That does not include internet servers which nearly all run on linux world wide (86% of all servers run on Linux).

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259
Like?
In reply to Stephan Def, Aug 2, 2012

Stephan Def wrote:

it can save you a ton of money for Licenses from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and others. Which can easily add up to a couple thousand of bucks.

Last time I checked Win 7 Pro OEM was 150 Eur, I don't think EUR - USD exchange rate is that bad.

OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?

I ran Linux in the very early days of dos. A major company still runs my Linux software for banking.

It was Xenix then hpux and every large vendor including IBM mainframe had unix.

I got an iMac a few weeks back. My Linux scripts run fine on it, re name my files etc.,
No need to rewrite any thing.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
seilerbird666
Like?
In reply to theswede, Aug 2, 2012

theswede wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

Correct; it's the awesomest thing in the world!

And on the desktop it is the biggest failure in the world.
--
My photos:

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Aug 2, 2012

it can save you a ton of money for Licenses from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and others. Which can easily add up to a couple thousand of bucks.

Last time I checked Win 7 Pro OEM was 150 Eur, I don't think EUR - USD exchange rate is that bad.

Windows 7 at $120 (home premium) + Adobe Lightroom at $130 = $250

And if you want to upgrade the software at some point in the future, you spend more money. Costs add up over time.

Linux + all the free software you want = $0. Upgrades = $0.

I think it's very clear that one of the options above saves you a lot of money. I'll let you figure out which one.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Archer66
Like?
In reply to chlamchowder, Aug 2, 2012

chlamchowder wrote:

Windows 7 at $120 (home premium) + Adobe Lightroom at $130 = $250

And if you want to upgrade the software at some point in the future, you spend more money. Costs add up over time.

Linux + all the free software you want = $0. Upgrades = $0.

I think it's very clear that one of the options above saves you a lot of money. I'll let you figure out which one.

You do know that all the software needed is available for Windows for free ?

So only cost is Windows.

Can you update your camera firmware via Linux ?

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Aug 2, 2012

You do know that all the software needed is available for Windows for free ?

So only cost is Windows.

Even if that were true, you would still be paying for Windows.

So, two choices:
a) Spend about $100 for Windows
b) Spend $0 for Linux

It's pretty hard to beat $0.

Yep. Firmware updates (at least for Sony cams) pretty much involve copying a file to the memory card and letting the camera take care of the rest.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
JohnyP
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
Uh, ok... but why bother?
In reply to yorugua, Aug 2, 2012

No really?

Linux just gets in the way. It is like using a shovel for driving nails - wrong tool for the job. It is possible to do, but not very convenient and doesn't provide much of a "flow". More like "stop and go" traffic with all the app and utility switching.

It's like using Windows for high performance computing... it will work, but will get in the way and is not the right setup.

Unfortunately for Linux users - they got completely abandoned by all the proffesional photography software shops. There are a few tools available, but nothing close to the goodies on Win/Mac.

I like his photography style though...

JohnyP
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
not quite true for anyone making a living from photography

The amount of time you save by batch processing and automation in PS/Aperture/Lightroom and other Win/Mac apps is simply incredible. That saved time quickly translates into $$$ which will cover any licensing costs.

Not needing to switch from app to app and load files in each makes sense for anyone who needs computer to the job quickly. One can still use Linux if he wants to, but it is just inconvenient. Yes, you can script things on your own and automate some parts of the workflow... but at the end that just doesn't compare to out of the box capabilities from the commercial products.

Archer66
Like?
In reply to chlamchowder, Aug 2, 2012

chlamchowder wrote:

Yep. Firmware updates (at least for Sony cams) pretty much involve copying a file to the memory card and letting the camera take care of the rest.

Not with new Sony's

Archer66
Like?
Re: not quite true for anyone making a living from photography
In reply to JohnyP, Aug 2, 2012

JohnyP wrote:

The amount of time you save by batch processing and automation in PS/Aperture/Lightroom and other Win/Mac apps is simply incredible. That saved time quickly translates into $$$ which will cover any licensing costs.

But when you are using Linux everything is free

NOT.

theswede
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, Aug 2, 2012

seilerbird666 wrote:

Really? How big losses have they accumulated so far?

Jesper

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?

Stephan Def wrote:

yorugua wrote:

Hey
Saw this at reddit. Hope you like it:
http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/07/31/linux-is-sexy/
http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/07/31/linux-photo-1/

Thanks I read the Article (highly recommended) and I like it a lot, it can save you a ton of money for Licenses from Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and others. Which can easily add up to a couple thousand of bucks.

What most people don't realize is that Linux is the fastest growing operating system thanks to Google and Android which is running at 900.000 activations per day (June 2012). That does not include internet servers which nearly all run on linux world wide (86% of all servers run on Linux).

86% of Internet servers may be Linux based, but statistics are tricky things. In this case, one can easily say that 86% of the stuff on the Internet is crap. Any correlation there???

In all seriousness though, free does not mean "free" , free only means you didn't pay for it. I'm by no means a rich man, but my time has a worth attached to it as does yours. My worth of course means nothing to you just as yours means nothing to me, but it does not discount the fact that time is money, and, like it or not, what you're replacing in money spent up front for paid software is time spent on the back end tweaking freeware. I want to stress that I don't think paid software is any better than freeware and truly believe that the person using the software has more to do with the output than the software itself, but while you are out there fiddling with operating systems and dealing with the comparability issues that go hand-in-hand with free software, I'll be working on my photographs.

Trust me when I say there was a time in my life where I enjoyed and embraced DIY and know there's a level of romanticism that is attached to using freeware, but I've reached a point in my life where I get equal satisfaction out of pressing the button on the back of my iMac and knowing that it's going to boot up just fine like it always does.

Neither is right, and I would argue with anyone who says one or the other is the best way because there is no best way, only your way.

theswede
Like?
Because I can
In reply to JohnyP, Aug 2, 2012

JohnyP wrote:

Linux just gets in the way.

In my experience it's the opposite. Windows gets in the way, while Linux and to a large extent OSX gets out of the way. OSX is starting to get more bothersome in that way though.

It is like using a shovel for driving nails - wrong tool for the job. It is possible to do, but not very convenient and doesn't provide much of a "flow". More like "stop and go" traffic with all the app and utility switching.

Except pretty much everything can be done via an import tool and then just using GIMP complete with RAW converter plugin (or Darktable). Not so much stop and go, more like Lightroom was a couple of years ago. Sure, not as polished, but if people use the software it gets better faster.

Unfortunately for Linux users - they got completely abandoned by all the proffesional photography software shops. There are a few tools available, but nothing close to the goodies on Win/Mac.

Which is why movie production companies use Linux with GNU licensed editing tools, I expect? For professional use Linux is up there with the best. The gap is with consumer use. But the gap is not as large as you make out.

Jesper

theswede
Like?
In reply to Tom2572, Aug 2, 2012

Tom2572 wrote:

In all seriousness though, free does not mean "free" , free only means you didn't pay for it.

Actually, "free" means you get to do what you want with it. And that's very important, because it means you can never be "left behind" if whoever is paying for development now closes up shop.

That's why I avoid spending time with payware. It's always wasted time in the end, because what I've learned will become useless when the product is gone. My time is too valuable to waste on closed software.

while you are out there fiddling with operating systems and dealing with the comparability issues that go hand-in-hand with free software, I'll be working on my photographs.

I find I have much more trouble with Windows than I do with free OS'es. I spend pretty much zero time on maintenance and issues on my Linux workstation (the servers I tinker with, but that's because I try new stuff all the time) while I have to spend lots of time cleaning up the mess in Windows whenever some validation system or other can't call home and report what software I have installed.

I just don't feel like spending the energy on Windows and closed software. I keep an OSX machine around, for now, but Lion was horrible and there are too many bugs still for me to try Mountain Lion, so I suspect that'll be gone soon too.

Neither is right, and I would argue with anyone who says one or the other is the best way because there is no best way, only your way.

Words to live by.

Jesper

seilerbird666
Like?

theswede wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

Really? How big losses have they accumulated so far?

Linux has been on the market for 20+ years. They are only a small fraction of the operating systems being used on the desktop. In another words millions and millions of people would rather pay $200 for Windows than to use a free version of Linux. That is a real failure when they can't even give something away. ROTFLMAO

-- hide signature --

My photos:

seilerbird666
Like?

theswede wrote:

I just don't feel like spending the energy on Windows and closed software. I keep an OSX machine around, for now, but Lion was horrible and there are too many bugs still for me to try Mountain Lion, so I suspect that'll be gone soon too.

And right there is the real flaw for Linux on the desktop. The Linux fanboys love to rave about Linux being "free" (which it is not) but there is not one Linux user in the world that doesn't also dual boot to Windows (so they can actually get some work done) or run a Mac machine. So then how are they saving money? I feel sorry for Linux users because in order for Linux to really be free they are saying their time is worthless. My time is valuable and I don't want to waste it learning a new operating system that was written in the dark ages.

-- hide signature --

My photos:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads