Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
shady1991
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
should I trust primotronix.com?
Aug 1, 2012

I'm buying a57 from amazon right now, (costs618$). but I just found this link
http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=20803

should i purchase from that site? will this be some risk? If anyone has experience with that site please answer

shady1991's gear list:shady1991's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Trust me on this.
In reply to shady1991, Aug 1, 2012

shady1991 wrote:

should i purchase from that site? will this be some risk? If anyone has experience with that site please answer

Please trust that I have felt the allure of saving a few $$ and I understand your temptation, but I strongly suggest you keep your credit card far, far away from that type of company. At the very best, you will only save $55 (and yes, I understand every penny counts) but it could cost you so much more than that in time, trouble and actual money. Try calling PriomTronix on the phone and asking about their return policy and see what kind of high pressure run-around you get.

Everybody else here seems to feel OK with Amazon, but I'd rather spend my money at Adorama or B&H. Those two companies are the gold standard of mail order.

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,494
Re: should I trust primotronix.com?

ResellerRatings has a pretty good rating:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Primotronix_com

However, there are a couple of complaints about items actually being "in stock." Amazon is generally pretty safe.
--
AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

shady1991
Re: Trust me on this.
In reply to Ray Maines, Aug 1, 2012

thanks, I think same as you but

are you saying that I shouldn't trust amazon?. I thought amazon was most trusted store, I've purchased many items and never been disappointed.

Sony SLT-A57
Tandaina
Contributing MemberPosts: 568

Amazon is FINE. He's just saying that he likes supporting photo businesses.

Just make sure that AMAZON is filling the order, not one of their sellers who are not ALL as reliable or easy on returns as Amazon... (Make sure it says "fulfilled by Amazon")
--
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/

Tubal
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list

They look like a legit site, but they aren't an authorized Sony retailer. So your warranty would be hit or miss.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?hideHeaderFooter=false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=sony_retailers#pThroughT

They share a street address with these guys:

http://www.picture-that.com

For $40, I'd probably stick with an authorized retailer.

Tubal's gear list:Tubal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +10 more
shady1991
I didn't risk

I've just purchased from amazon.. can't wait hold the camera.
Thanks everybody!

Sony SLT-A57
loadofcobblers
New MemberPosts: 2
In reply to shady1991, Feb 11, 2013

I just had a terrible experience with high-pressure sales from Primotronix. I had ordered a Sony RX-100 at the lowest online price of $569. They called to say they had just received the product from Sony so the send-out date would be delayed. "What a good choice you have made, but you realize it only comes with a half-hour battery. The one-hour battery is available at a special Valentine's price of $49, but the 5-hour, which most people go for comes with a free carrying case .. blah, blah."

Caveat emptor! You can return the product, but there is a 15% "restocking fee" if you do.

I canceled my order there and then, and I shall be monitoring my credit card closely to make sure it is not charged.

Fingers crossed for me, guys. I will only buy from a known company from now on!!

-- hide signature --

10MP and be there.

danielkahle
New MemberPosts: 3
In reply to shady1991, Feb 21, 2013

Do not order from this business without reading what I have to say.  I ordered a Canon T4i camera kit, a Hoya UV filter and a Canon camera bag recently.  I received a call a day or so later to confirm the order.  I was then coaxed into getting upgrades at a considerable discount.  I was also offered a five year warranty that covers accidental damage and water damage for $99.  If you look on the site the price is much higher, so of course I accepted.  I was told that I would get an upgraded bag for free and that they would remove the one I had on my original order.  No argument there.  Then my phone dropped the call. I reconnected with Alan after twenty minutes or so and was told the order was placed an nothing further was needed on my behalf.  After hanging up I realized that I had not received an invoice showing what upgraded I agreed to.  I also had no idea what the new price was.  I looked up reviews online and found that there were considerable good reviews, but also quite a few bad reviews.  I had never dealt with anyone who had so many bad reviews, so instead of calling to ask for an updated price or an invoice, I called to cancel.  I easily got back in touch with Alan and explained that I had checked the reviews out and was not pleased.  He explained it away as people who did not know that they dealt with gray market items as well as US items and left reviews that were unjustified.  I informed him that I still wished to cancel my order.  Mind you, this conversation was taking place within and hour after receiving the original call to confirm my order from him.  He tells me that the order was rush delivery as part of the package I ordered and that it had already shipped.  I argued the fact that they can't have a UPS driver waiting in their parking lot just for my order and he says they are a large business and operate out of many warehouses and my order was shipped from somewhere else.  It appeared that I could not cancel my order so I ask for a tracking number and a detailed invoice.  I was told I would receive it shortly.  The next day I still had not received the requested information so I call back with my number blocked in an attempt to keep this business from using caller ID to route me back to the same person...Alan.  My call is not answered and after twenty minutes their system automatically hangs up on you.  I tried customer service a number of times and waited the full twenty minutes only to be cut off each time.  I then try the other departments with my number blocked with the same result.  I try the operator as well, whose sole purpose in most businesses is to direct phone calls to the proper departments.  I end up on hold for twenty minutes and the call drops again.  So I call without my number blocked and within five minutes Alan answers the phone.  I demand to speak to a manager.  He asks for my information.  At this point I do not even want to speak to him at all.  I refuse and just tell him to put a manager on the phone.  He continues to refuse so I end up having to give him my information in order to get anywhere.  He transfers me to Roger, who, from what I read on the reviews, appears to take care of business.  Roger is very charming, seems down to earth and is more than willing to tell you whatever you want to hear.  He even provides you with his extension, 501.  He told me he would take a hundred dollars off the price and sell the items to me at cost to them, so they would not be making any money.  He says the customers are his priority and if that is what it takes to have a satisfied customer then so be it.  He apologizes for Alan and says if I receive the item and do not like it would be 100% money back as the site says.  I mention that the site also says there is a restock fee for returned items.  He says that I am talking to a customer service manager and that there would be no restock fee if I was unsatisfied.  I get him to verify this at least one other time.  It sounds like a plan to me.  I also request that I receive a tracking number and a detailed invoice.  He promises I will receive it by 7:00PM.  He promises several times, in fact, and he even says it will likely be earlier since my paperwork was on his desk.  It sounds like a plan to me, so I get off the phone with him.  Later that evening I check my email and find a tracking number with no detailed invoice.  I call Roger at his extension the following morning and he does not answer.  The recording is a generic recording asking you to leave a message.  I leave a message explaining that I still had not received the invoice.  I wanted to make sure of the items I was getting and make sure the prices sounded right.  I was busy the rest of the day, but I never received a call back from him.  At the end of the day I still had not received the invoice.  The weekend arrives and they are closed on Saturdays.  On Sundays I am busy all day with church.  Monday is the day the item is scheduled to arrive, so I wait for the package so that I can inspect its contents.  I sign for the package, take it inside and open it up.  The camera appears to be in there along with a few other things.  The other items that were sent were cheap items.  I ordered name brand for a reason.  I looked the items up online and found them for mere pennies in comparison to what I was charged.  I was charged over $1200 for my purchase.  My original purchase was a little over $700.  The T4i Kit with 18-55mm lens costs around $650 online at reputable stores, sometimes a little more.  The kit was in there.  Then the filter kit was in there.  It was Zeikos brand.  I looked it up online and found it for $9.00.  It was not the Hoya brand I was promised.  The camera bag was not an upgraded Canon bag, it was Xit brand.  Look it up.  I found it online for cheap as well.  The upgraded battery that was sent was only $13.00 on Amazon and the memory card is Lightning Media brand.  I was unable to locate anywhere that sell it, but I found a name brand version for around $32.  I have pictures of everything they sent.  The invoice they sent with the box does not list the items in a detailed fashion.  It is very generic sounding.  This is likely why they did not send it to me beforehand.  I called Primotronix on my way to school and dialed extension 501 which is supposed to be Roger.  It ends up being a guy named Jeff who claims that Roger was not there that day.  I proceed to unleash on this guy and let him know that I was ripped off and that I wanted an RMA to return the items.  He says I will have to pay a restocking fee.  I inform him of what Roger told me and he said that Roger was not there and that the site clearly states that there is a restocking fee.  He gets very demeaning in his tone and attempts to ridicule you.  He then says the restocking fee is 15%.  I tell him the site says 10% and he informs me that it is a MINIMUM of 10%.  I then let him know that when I felt that the company might be fishy that I began recording the conversations as a way to protect myself.  He tells me that it is illegal to do so and will hold no sway in court.  I live in TX where only one person has to be aware that a recording takes place, so I am in the right.  I have nearly every conversation recorded, including the one where Roger tells me that there is no restocking fee and that he was going to take $100 off.  Jeff keeps blabbing his mouth so I just tell him to be quiet and not say another word other than to give me an RMA.  He proceeds to hang up on me.  I tried calling back numerous times only to get a voicemail.  In any case, they did send me an RMA and I intend to return the items.  I am also going to get in touch with my friends from school and work who have gone on to become lawyers and see what my options are.  I have also contacted local media in Stamford to attempt to expose this fraudulent, misleading, untrustworthy business.  I am a thirty year old veteran who is now attending school.  I have a wife and two young children.  I do not deserve, nor does any American deserve to be abused by the system that is implemented in this country.  I will also be contacting the Better Business Bureau and some other media sources.  I hope to have this issue resolved not only for me, but for every other citizen as well.  God bless you all!  P.S.  If you would like to receive pictures of the items I received and compare them for yourself, please contact me at Daniel.kahle@gmail.com.  If I am given the okay from legal counsel to disseminate the recordings of my conversations with Primotronix I will send that as well.  Thank you.

danielkahle
In reply to danielkahle, Feb 21, 2013

The camera bag that was sent.  I originally ordered a Canon camera bag but was talked into dropping it and getting the upgraded bag, which I was led to believe was also a Canon bag. This can be found on Amazon.

This is the "upgraded" memory card they sent.  I couldn't find anywhere that sold these.

These were the lens filters that were sent.  I was told the high dollar one I ordered was included in this kit and buying the kit would be less expensive.  These can be found on Amazon.

This was the upgraded "5 hour battery" that was sent.  This can be found on Amazon.

This was the camera.  I believe this to be the only item of genuine value sent.  I question whether or not it is a refurb or not considering the issues I encountered with this company.  This sells for between six and seven hundred dollars itself, but when you add the cost of the other items, it does not add up.  Even with the warranty I purchased which, by the way, was supposed to be a five year warranty that protected against accidents and water damage.  I was sold the five year warranty for ninety-nine dollars.  Again, the prices still don't add up to what I was charged.

This is the invoice that was included in the box.  I removed the top because it had my personal information on it.  Looking at this invoice I would have had some serious questions because it does not state anywhere what brand products I would be getting.  I also would have had an issue with the fact that it only says I purchased a one year warranty.  Additionally, if you look on the lower left of the paper you can see a date.  "02/14/2013".  When I called to cancel, it was the thirteenth.  I was told that I could not cancel since the order already shipped.  This invoice was generated by Primotronix.  If the package was already in UPS custody, how did this invoice get in the box.  Also to note is the time that is beside the date.  "15:59:43", which is 3:59PM with forty-three seconds into the minute.  I was also charged shipping which I was told was included in the package so I should not have been charged.

donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542

Your original diatribe was about 5000 lines long with no paragraphs and impossible to read.  I got down to line 6 and gave up.  Most of the photos of the stuff you claim to have gotten are upside down.

Based on these 2 points, why should anyone believe anything that you have said?

-- hide signature --

Don

Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
In reply to shady1991, Feb 21, 2013

If the purchase is  "fullfilled by Amazon"  you're fine.  They'll make it right.

If it's one of the "other purchase options" and is not fullfilled by Amazon, then you're counting on the Return Policy of that Company.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list

OUCH!

I made it two to three lines down and gave up.

Paragraphs are your friend.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,891Gear list
Yikes
In reply to danielkahle, Feb 22, 2013

I take it from your bazillion word rant with no punctuation or paragraph breaks that you were somehow wronged by the company.

First, if you want people to actually pay attention you've got to use formatting that makes it easier to read.  Your follow-up post showed several photos that were upside-down, which didn't help.

Second, the original post in the thread was 6 months old with several replies warning the OP not to use a relatively unknown dealer just to save a few bucks.  Did you not read any of this?

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
In reply to shady1991, Feb 22, 2013

shady1991 wrote:

What?  No... its only $498 at amazon for the body only.

You would only be saving $23, if you buy from that site.  Here is a nice kit from Focus Camera via Amazon for $498, with  memory card and a bag

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A57-Digital-Replacement-Accessory/dp/B007Y5FJCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361494706&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+a57+body

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
a1recycler
New MemberPosts: 1
In reply to danielkahle, Feb 22, 2013

Thank you for this.  I am a firm believer that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  I was very tempted to by my new 60D from them but after this review I will stick with a safe provider.

Kid Jedi
New MemberPosts: 7
In reply to donaldsc, Feb 25, 2013

donaldsc wrote:

Your original diatribe was about 5000 lines long with no paragraphs and impossible to read. I got down to line 6 and gave up. Most of the photos of the stuff you claim to have gotten are upside down.

-- hide signature --

Don

Really?  Upside down pictures make a person un-trustworthy?  This guy took the time to give us a detailed account of his experience, and it's his fault that you can't be bothered to read a post without paragraph breaks? [eye roll]

I for one appreciate the information, as I was considering purchasing a 7D body from this source (a few bucks might now be a big deal, but they advertise a price of nearly $400 below everyone else).  I assumed it was too good to be true, and this post is a huge indicator of that that will be the case.

Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
In reply to Kid Jedi, Feb 25, 2013

I chose to use Panamax for a newA99 UK shop prices around the £2100 Panamax £1523 Ordered on Sunday arrived on the following Thursday no problems

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +5 more
RBirch
New MemberPosts: 1
In reply to donaldsc, Mar 8, 2013

donaldsc wrote:

Your original diatribe was about 5000 lines long with no paragraphs and impossible to read. I got down to line 6 and gave up. Most of the photos of the stuff you claim to have gotten are upside down.

-- hide signature --

Don

Because, Don, though it was annoying to read in that format, he was writing MY story. Went through the same crap with them with the same people. Their service is terrible, they send defective products with pieces missing, then they lie about what they're going to do for you.

They will promise you anything and once they hang up, the air the promise was written on is blown away.

Matt Staben
In reply to danielkahle, Mar 10, 2013

Good god!  Thanks for posting this story!  It's the way things are done by numerous shady outfits in the NYC area.  They're con-men peddling chinese crap to the unsuspecting who want to save a few dollars.

Your story is more pitiable, however, for the sheer amount you were ripped-off for!  You're the unlucky mark robbed blind - illegally I might add - but they're safe hiding behind the distance that exists between you and the thieves.

There's nothing you can do and that's just the shame of it - so best just not look back, and consider it a lesson learned - and realize that in just two years' time it'll all be a wash and you'll be richer for it.

Don't be buying from any store you don't feel one hundred percent confident in - and remember the maxim - if it's too good to be true, it is - but moreover, if it is true, someone else is the victim.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads