6 new lenses for Micro 4/3 in Photokina 2012

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
6 new lenses for Micro 4/3 in Photokina 2012
Aug 1, 2012

From 43 Rumors they say,

"Trusted sources told me that Panasonic will show many new lenses in September at Photokina. It’s still not confirmed but the total number could be of four lenses. One is the long awaited 35-100mm X lens. Than we will have an tele prime lens similar to the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. I also heard about a new wide angle zoom. The fourth lens specs are still unknown.

For the record, Olympus will also announce at least two new lenses. Makes a total of six lenses (minimum). But another very important question is when those lenses will be available. Hope these are not mostly prototypes that will than be available in 2013 only! May sources can also share me some info about that question. Thanks!"

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: 6 new lenses for Micro 4/3 in Photokina 2012
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Aug 1, 2012

Unfortunately I doubt Panny's tele-prime will be out soon enough, or else I am just looking for a reason to cancel my Oly 75mm order. One can hope.

Exciting. I can't wait to find out what else we're in store for.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

That is good news, more lenses will make Micro 4/3 even stronger.

Thank you for posting this.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to dnercesian, Aug 1, 2012

dnercesian wrote:

Unfortunately I doubt Panny's tele-prime will be out soon enough, or else I am just looking for a reason to cancel my Oly 75mm order. One can hope.

Exciting. I can't wait to find out what else we're in store for.

Maybe they don't take too long, if they will announce them on Photkina 2012.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Dixa
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?

the 12-35 and that 35-100 both being 2.8 would bring m43 in as a viable wedding sytem. that 100 still wont have the perspective flattening or shallow dof of an actual 200mm lens, but the apertures mean you have the only focal lengths that matter to a wedding and even small event photographer would need fully covered now

we now need 150/2.8 and 200/2.8.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

From 43 Rumors they say,

"Trusted sources told me that Panasonic will show many new lenses in September at Photokina. It’s still not confirmed but the total number could be of four lenses. One is the long awaited 35-100mm X lens. Than we will have an tele prime lens similar to the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. I also heard about a new wide angle zoom. The fourth lens specs are still unknown.

For the record, Olympus will also announce at least two new lenses. Makes a total of six lenses (minimum). But another very important question is when those lenses will be available. Hope these are not mostly prototypes that will than be available in 2013 only! May sources can also share me some info about that question. Thanks!"

-- hide signature --

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,102
Like?
In reply to Dixa, Aug 1, 2012

Dixa wrote:

the 12-35 and that 35-100 both being 2.8 would bring m43 in as a viable wedding sytem. that 100 still wont have the perspective flattening or shallow dof of an actual 200mm lens, but the apertures mean you have the only focal lengths that matter to a wedding and even small event photographer would need fully covered now

we now need 150/2.8 and 200/2.8.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

From 43 Rumors they say,

-- hide signature --

The perspective flattening will be the same an actual 200mm lens if used at the same distance. Perspective is not made by the lens but by the camera to subject distance.
Yes the DOF will be deeper which for many is a good thing.
--
Brian Schneider

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,860Gear list
Like?
And al I want is a 9mm f4 prime...

…Maybe that's too low an aspiration for Oly and Panny to respond.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: And al I want is a 9mm f4 prime...
In reply to Hen3ry, Aug 1, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Maybe not

-- hide signature --

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452Gear list
Like?

9mm f/4.

I want a 7mm f/2.8. Let's at least ask for something slightly faster than the zooms we already have...
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
+1 to Brian's Comment
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Aug 1, 2012

Lets learn our facts before we complain

Flattening is caused by the subject's distance from the sensor not the lens

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,877Gear list
Like?
Re: +1 to Brian's Comment
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Aug 1, 2012

+1
But more 1.4's.
And how about a T/S?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,475Gear list
Like?
I want the rumored 12-60

as long as it is faster than my 12-50, better IQ (contrast and sharpness) and they keep the weather-sealing. (They can lose the motorized zoom for all I care.)
Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,796Gear list
Like?
Re: I want the rumored 12-60
In reply to Steven Wandy, Aug 1, 2012

Steven Wandy wrote:

as long as it is faster than my 12-50, better IQ (contrast and sharpness) and they keep the weather-sealing. (They can lose the motorized zoom for all I care.)
Steve

I heard from local camera store salesman who had talked to his Olympus sales rep that the 60 macro will be in the stores by the end of August. This might just be one of the two lens at Photokina.

I do hope to see a 12-60 and would expect it to be faster and better IQ than the 12-50. It would be the logical kit lens for the camera above the E-M5.

I will love to see a fast 17.5. Maybe a f 1.4.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

My 7-14 is darn nice at 9-f4 so I don't see this need.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,189Gear list
Like?
Re:Oly 25mm F1.8 pancake ????

Any word ?
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/
"why so serious?": The Joker

SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, Aug 1, 2012

Rumor I've read is that the 12-60 would be a variable aperture f2.8 to f4.0. Don't know if that's just wishful thinking that it will be the 4/3 optics ported to a native m43 mount. But the 43 versions is a great great lens. I've also heard rumors of an Olympus 25mm f1.8 prime.

Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Aug 1, 2012

Steven Wandy wrote:

as long as it is faster than my 12-50, better IQ (contrast and sharpness) and they keep the weather-sealing.

+1! I would pre-order in a heartbeat. Make it so Oly!

(They can lose the motorized zoom for all I care.)

I hope they do lose the motorized zoom. The 12-50 zoom is numb and 'grindy'. I hope they make this a true successor to the 43 version!

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,399
Like?
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Aug 1, 2012

Albino_BlacMan wrote:

Yes perspective stays the same. However if you double the focal in the same system you select a different portion of it.

So in this sense you can say that you have changed the perspective, that is, what you see.

What you see with an UWA or with a long tele is obviously different.

Instead if you move more close or more distant to one main object its distance to other objects will look different, although of course it stays the same .

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,102
Like?
In reply to amalric, Aug 2, 2012

amalric wrote:

Albino_BlacMan wrote:

Yes perspective stays the same. However if you double the focal in the same system you select a different portion of it.

So in this sense you can say that you have changed the perspective, that is, what you see.

The area shown is different not the perspective.

What you see with an UWA or with a long tele is obviously different.

If you crop the uwa to match the tele you have exactly the same picture other than sharpness & noise'

Instead if you move more close or more distant to one main object its distance to other objects will look different, although of course it stays the same .

Yes you ONLY change perspective by moving the camera position.

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

-- hide signature --

Brian Schneider

Dixa
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Aug 2, 2012

i used tne wrong term. the difference is a matter of magnification.

im going to assume you all have a basic photog book lying around with a section on telephoto lenses

telephoto lenses will bring your subject closer, decrease depth of field, narrow field of view and visually compress the subject relative to the background, bringing it closer to the subject assuming the subject is not focused at infinity.

as an example imagine a silohoutted lighthouse with the setting sun behind it. now imagine a scenario that you can frame the lighthouse with a full frame camera exactly the same with a 24, 50, 85, 135 and 300mm lens, the lighthouse taking up as much frame real estate at every focal length.

the sun will be smaller in the 24mm relative to the 50. as you go longer the sun gets larger and larger as the background gets compressed compared to the foreground. this is a direct function of focal length and has zero to do with recorded media size.

therefore i would be unable to get a giant, half frame filling sun ball behind the lighthouse as i can with a 300mm lens on aps-c and ff if the lens is only 150mm on m43 relative to the fixed size and fov of the darkened lighthouse in this experiment.

i dont remember what the term for this was, and is what i was talking about. the 100mm will not give the same effect of pulling background objects closer to the subject as a 200mm would regardless of its equivalent field of view and depth of field

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads