Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
Malcolm Sales
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8
Aug 1, 2012

Hi,

I fancy getting the Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 for my GX1 (and later OM-D E5).

It seems to be a Leica fit lens, so is a Leica/m43 adaptor readily available?
Or have I missed something?
--
Malcolm Sales.

Malcolm Sales's gear list:Malcolm Sales's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8
In reply to Malcolm Sales, Aug 1, 2012

Malcolm Sales wrote:

I fancy getting the Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 for my GX1 (and later OM-D E5).
It seems to be a Leica fit lens, so is a Leica/m43 adaptor readily available?

Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B002RJFD7C

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Malcolm Sales
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Aug 1, 2012

Many thanks Bob. Just what I needed to know
--
Malcolm Sales.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,616Gear list
Like?
I've used the Heliar

Malcolm Sales wrote:

Hi,

A friend let me try his Heliar 75mm f/1.8 with M adapter on my E-PL3 for a week. I used it quite a bit. My impressions:

• Sharp from f/2.8 onward

• Has "character" at f/1.8. That means the images are not perfect, but acceptable.

• It is a front-heavy lens on an E-PL3. An OMD with grip will probably negate that.

• I find manual focus with my E-PL3 annoying without a tripod when shooting at the 75mm magnification. I determined that the Heliar is a tripod-only lens for me. Again, the OMD with grip might solve that problem.

• I'm thrilled that Olympus has decided to create its own version. With AF, and sharp results at f/1.8, it will be a much better fit for me.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?

Considering that they're about the same price, I'm wondering why you're looking at the Voigtlander rather than the new Olympus.

Is there a particular reason?

Alternatively, Voigtlander also has a smaller 75mm f/2.5, too.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Malcolm Sales
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Aug 2, 2012

Thanks James & Mike for your comments.

Reading reviews I'd got the impression that the Voigtlander was a good lens and in the UK at least is almost half the price of the Oly model.

I shall now re-consider my options and may instead go for the 75~300 instead as it's a similar price to the Voigtlander.

I at the research stage before selling all my Nikon kit and getting an E-5.
--
Malcolm Sales.

El P Stern
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Malcolm Sales, Aug 2, 2012

I have the 75mm Hellar 1.8 and the 75mm 2.5 Voigtlander lenses. Get the Olympus when it is available. Based on all the reviews it is one heck of a lens. The only "mirrorless camera" I can focus manually on with a degree of accuracey is the Ricoh GXR because of its focus peaking. Olympus and Panasonic do not have that.

As for the 75mm being 150mm on the Olympus EM5 hand holding can get a little hard as far as targeting. I use it on a tripod. Of course remember you will also need the micro 4/3 to Leica M adapter.
--
El
Www.blueridgeworkshops.com

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
In reply to El P Stern, Aug 2, 2012

Not sure about peaking, I had it on a nex5n and found it a bit of a PITA as it obscures the actual detail of the image you are trying to focus on? The oly evf is very fine and sharp, and with the magnification options seems unlikely you'll be unable to MF?

Malcolm Sales
Like?
In reply to Malcolm Sales, Aug 2, 2012

Thanks everybody for your comments.
The Voigtlander is now off my consideration list.
--
Malcolm Sales.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads