Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
Chuck Holst
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Housing works really well
In reply to Robert Anderson, Apr 10, 2013

Fogging is possible, but only if you get water droplets on the lens plate on a sunny day. I know this from using a Fastcap on a Nikonos. Fogging typically disappears after the Fastcap has been left open a few minutes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sparrowe
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Housing works really well/Thanks!
In reply to Chuck Holst, Apr 16, 2013

A word of thanks to all who have posted in this thread - especially in the detective work leading to the discovery of the Meikon housing!

While sail/kayaking (Hobie Tandem Island) Sunday I reached into my pocket for my Olympus TG-1; pulling it up to eye level I saw H2O shooshing around in the screen (damn!). The access door to the ports was hanging open - as careful as I am, it looks like I didn't lock it shut. So, camera replacement time. I weighed getting a TG-2, but the image quality isn't all that great - and it is worse on the less expensive 'waterproof' cameras. I've wanted the RX-100 since it was introduced, but I have to have a fully waterproof option for sailing, kayaking and snorkeling - ideally one that floats. The Dicapac just didn't look like the right solution, but at around $200 the Meikon fits the bill.

Had I not found this thread I likely would have convinced myself to order an inexpensive 'waterproof' camera. The Meikon makes the RX-100 an option (it is on the way). Plus, my spouse will be happier as I no longer will be grabbing her NEX-5 ... so, again, thanks!

BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,014Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sparrowe, Apr 16, 2013

Looks like a very similar (most likely, the same) housing is sold under Polaroid brand, quite a bit cheaper:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51200613

Edit:

Whoops - looks like it's gone.  Here is the direct link that points to the product:

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Waterproof-Underwater-Cybershot-DSC-RX100/dp/B00BXPOMVY

At any rate, try searching for Polaroid housing RX100, you might save a few bucks.  Make sure to research the sellers though.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6
Chuck Holst
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, Apr 17, 2013

It looks like the same underwater case, which seems to be available under a variety of names. If it comes back on Amazon.com, shipping may well be cheaper than ordering it from either China.

L Copps
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to Chuck Holst, Apr 17, 2013

I don't think this Polaroid case was ever a legitimate product.  It dried up very quickly and I have not found it anywhere else.  If you look at the picture on the Amazon.com site, the word "Polaroid" does not appear anywhere on the product.  Everything I have seen marketed under Polaroid has had the name printed on it somewhere.  Even the piece of junk $30 case they sell has "Polaroid" on it.  You can buy it at DiverVision.com for $214 delivered and have it in 4 working days.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,397Gear list
Like?
In reply to L Copps, Apr 17, 2013

I went further again by reaching their sales. I called directly to China and they admitted all housings are made with different names...surprisingly they advised me to buy the "latest" dSLR housing. I found the link here

http://hk-meikon.en.alibaba.com/product/859936916-218496313/plastic_camera_case_waterproof_for_500D_550D_600D.html

In fact, the gap between their housing and other makers are too huge I simply wish someone will make better ones.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +53 more
Chuck Holst
Like?
Re: Any chance the RX100 w/ Franiec grip fits?
In reply to SportsMacro Photog, Apr 17, 2013

Thinking about this further, it occurred to me that it might be possible to modify the interior of the housing to accept the Franiec grip, providing the Franiec grip is not too deep. The RX100 is positioned by plastic standoffs with rubber inserts, so the modifications would involve cutting down and further drilling out the centers of the standoffs, and then reinserting the rubber inserts. As I said, this all depends on the dimensions of the Franiec grip, and of course, if you accidentally drill too deeply, the housing will no longer be waterproof.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Got my fastcap
In reply to L Copps, Apr 17, 2013

I am very pleased with it. It worked great, keeping water off of the lens. I just need to remember to open it before turning on the camera. Otherwise the the camera tries to adjust to the dark view and takes a few seconds to correct itself after opening.

Rick Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to YiannisPP, Apr 26, 2013

Disagree ... while using strobe(s)   will get you better shots I have taken hundreds of pics at depths down to 40m without strobes.

OK you get the dreaded CYAN cast ... but Photoshop can help a lot to resolve.

I started with a large camera, in an Ikelite Housing, added strobes, WA wet lens etc ..... then realised that it was all getting in the way of enjoying my diving.

To much kit.

I dive to enjoy underwater ... and taking pics is secondary.

I then swapped to a compact ... and have continued that way.    I have camera clipped to my BCD ... when I see something nice I video it, or take a pic, rest of dive it hangs there out of the way.

Just sold my Fuji F31fd underwater system ... and going to buy RX100 ....  with Mieke Housing.

Rick Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to davephdv, Apr 26, 2013

davephdv wrote:

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't take one of those manufacture's housings underwater. They tend to flood much more frequently. Also they don't seem to ever have the same ease of use.

I have usede 2 x Fuji   own brand housing, 1 x Canon and 1 x Olympus

Never had a flood, never had a problem ........... I'll admit I only dive to 40m, but Polycarbonate housings seems absolutrly fine at that depth.

I didalso once have an Ikelite housing ... but never got on with controls, too clunky, and housing too big.

everi
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Underwater with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to SHood, May 13, 2013

Hello everyone,
I bought underwater housing Meike MK-RX100 and these are my impressions after the first dives.

ADVANTAGES
Camera is well positioned and with no movement inside the case.
Good closing.
The controls on the upper side are very easy.
Good monitor visibility.

DEFECTS
Rear buttons are a little too close and sometimes, using gloves, you can press the wrong button.
Even the wheel to move the front control ring is a bit too close to housing body.
But these are only minor flaws that can be overcome with practice.
The biggest problem is the lack of an external command of the rear control wheel of the camera (there are only up/down and left/right buttons... ); it is very important when you use the camera in manual mode (M): shutter speed can be changed ONLY with rear control wheel.

However for the price of this case my judgment is very positive.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,397Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to everi, May 13, 2013

everi wrote:

Hello everyone,
I bought underwater housing Meike MK-RX100 and these are my impressions after the first dives.

ADVANTAGES
Camera is well positioned and with no movement inside the case.
Good closing.
The controls on the upper side are very easy.
Good monitor visibility.

DEFECTS
Rear buttons are a little too close and sometimes, using gloves, you can press the wrong button.
Even the wheel to move the front control ring is a bit too close to housing body.
But these are only minor flaws that can be overcome with practice.
The biggest problem is the lack of an external command of the rear control wheel of the camera (there are only up/down and left/right buttons... ); it is very important when you use the camera in manual mode (M): shutter speed can be changed ONLY with rear control wheel.

However for the price of this case my judgment is very positive.

How deep did you dive?

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +53 more
lesnag2
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: Tried it out
In reply to lesnag2, May 23, 2013

For some reason I stopped getting email notifications about activity here. My apologies to people who expected a reply from me. Must have forgot to tick the Subscribe to email updates checkbox on my last post ... (why is it unticked by default?!).

Anyway, I did not forget that I promised to write a Meikon 42 review, I just did not have enough time to finish it yet. I'm almost done but need to add some final notes and give it a decent article look.

I cannot say when it will be ready but it might be another week or so.

lesnag2's gear list:lesnag2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100
everi
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: Underwater with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to Mark K, May 25, 2013

About 20m.

Robert Anderson
Like?
Kayaking with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to everi, May 25, 2013

Couple from yesterday's trip on the Cherry River, WV

L Copps
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Kayaking with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jun 14, 2013

Great pics and no water drops on the lens.

Ken Sky
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to L Copps, Jun 20, 2013

I am sorely tempted to buy the Meike housing but removing the Franeike grip is not an option for me. Has anyone had experience trying to modify the standoffs to accommodate the grip? I have a Dremmel tool but don't know how I would drill out the centre of the standoff to reinsert the rubber tips.

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
Robert Anderson
Like?
In reply to Ken Sky, Jun 20, 2013

I experimented with making my own grip using hand molded epoxy. I have done this before with other cameras. I shaped the grip to near the final shape I wanted and then pressed the camera with the grip attached into the Meike housing. The rubber nubs in the housing formed holes in the grip. My plan was to cut away enough of the grip to clear the rubber nubs while leaving enough for a stylish and comfortable grip. Sadly, what was left was not enough of a grip. I scrapped it and plan to try again later.

Most likely, I will have to modify the inside of the housing and reattach the rubber nubs ina place that does not interfere with the grip. I have been too busy using the camera and housing to take the time to do this.

Ken Sky
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jun 21, 2013

That's unfortunate as I've come to love the grip so much it might as well be welded to the camera. I could of course remove the grip for underwater photography in the housing but fear the adhesive would either damage the finish on removal or be ineffective when re-attaching. I would appreciate your posting pictures if you get around to modifying the housing for your grip.

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
jxo
jxo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Any experience with Strobes with Meike housing and RX100
In reply to Ken Sky, Jun 30, 2013

Does anyone care to post their experience using a strobe with the Meike/Rx100?

Assume one needs to slave the strobe to the internal flash.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads