Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,039
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 14, 2012

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I just reviewed all of the posts on the Canon 11 x 14 paper size issue. The Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, among others, has no 11 x 14 inch paper size setting. I, too, was stumped for a while, until I figured out the workaround. I didn't see this anywhere in all of my review. I think this applies to only the borderless printing.

I sized my print to 11 x 14 in Photoshop, then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size. I then put my 11 x 14 paper in the printer and told it that it was 11 x 17 paper. It printed borderless 11 x 14 just fine, and ejected the paper when it got to the end of the file.

I also put in a question to Canon about why there is no 11 x 14 setting.
--
Gary Eickmeier

I don't have that printer but the one I use (Epson 4800) has User Defined paper setting where you define the size. as long as it's not ridiculously small or bigger than the printer can do it works. Can't you define 11 x 14 on your printer?

No, not in borderless.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

It is necessary to use some type of "Work Around" to simulate Borderless Printing for ANY printer that does not support Borderless for selected sizes.

I have 4 Epson printers with the latest model being the 3880.  I have never printed Borderless with any of the printers since I really don't like Borderless --AND-- the ink over spray (for me) is a NO NO.  The only size that I would occasionally print borderless (if it was supported) on the 3880 would be selected  Photos printed on 17x25 inch Photo papers.  Then, my only reason to print those borderless would be to eliminate trimming the white bordering areas before I proceed to my Mounting processing.  Borderless is obviously an individual or personal type of choice for Photo Printing.

Below are 3880 Borderless Print Sizes_01-30-2011

3.5 x 5 inches
4 x 6 inches
16:9 wide size (4 x 7.1 inches)
5 x 7 inches
8 x 10 inches
A4 (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
US Letter (8.5 x 11 inches)
10 x 12 inches
11 x 14
US B (11 x 17 inches)
A3 (11.7 x 16.5 inches)
Super A3 or A3+(13 x 19 inches)
16 x 20 inches
A2 (16.5 x 23.4 inches)
US C (17 x 22 inches).

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zero Equals Infinity
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Oct 14, 2012

Use Quadtone RIP, (it is an awesome shareware RIP for Epson only printers.)  You want control for printing, it gives you ultimate control.  Tons of users are out there so there are a lot of profiles that you can use if you don't wish to experiment.  I use it for creating digital negatives for alternate printing methods, (e.g. kallitype, platinum - palladium, cyanotype etc.)

If you like it, send a cheque for $50 to the author.  see ... http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html

It is the best of the best and cheap as well ... (with sympathy for Canon users)

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,990
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Oct 14, 2012

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I just reviewed all of the posts on the Canon 11 x 14 paper size issue. The Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, among others, has no 11 x 14 inch paper size setting. I, too, was stumped for a while, until I figured out the workaround. I didn't see this anywhere in all of my review. I think this applies to only the borderless printing.

I sized my print to 11 x 14 in Photoshop, then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size. I then put my 11 x 14 paper in the printer and told it that it was 11 x 17 paper. It printed borderless 11 x 14 just fine, and ejected the paper when it got to the end of the file.

I also put in a question to Canon about why there is no 11 x 14 setting.
--
Gary Eickmeier

I don't have that printer but the one I use (Epson 4800) has User Defined paper setting where you define the size. as long as it's not ridiculously small or bigger than the printer can do it works. Can't you define 11 x 14 on your printer?

No, not in borderless.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

It is necessary to use some type of "Work Around" to simulate Borderless Printing for ANY printer that does not support Borderless for selected sizes.

I have 4 Epson printers with the latest model being the 3880.  I have never printed Borderless with any of the printers since I really don't like Borderless --AND-- the ink over spray (for me) is a NO NO.  The only size that I would occasionally print borderless (if it was supported) on the 3880 would be selected  Photos printed on 17x25 inch Photo papers.  Then, my only reason to print those borderless would be to eliminate trimming the white bordering areas before I proceed to my Mounting processing.  Borderless is obviously an individual or personal type of choice for Photo Printing.

Below are 3880 Borderless Print Sizes_01-30-2011

3.5 x 5 inches
4 x 6 inches
16:9 wide size (4 x 7.1 inches)
5 x 7 inches
8 x 10 inches
A4 (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
US Letter (8.5 x 11 inches)
10 x 12 inches
11 x 14
US B (11 x 17 inches)
A3 (11.7 x 16.5 inches)
Super A3 or A3+(13 x 19 inches)
16 x 20 inches
A2 (16.5 x 23.4 inches)
US C (17 x 22 inches).

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

I agree, I have been printing with my 4800 for about five years and have never, ever printed borderless. Some of our prints are sold borderless but all are trimmed after printing. I just have never seen the point of overspraying into you printer for the sake of saving about 6.0 mm (that's a quarter of an inch if you don't understand metric) of paper which is the sort of gap I leave at the edges or in between prints. I have no idea even how to print a borderless print but have sold literally thousands.

Jules

detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 18, 2012

OK, I have an oversized canvas in the vertical direction. Do I place the picture against the left edge in the center, or in the upper left corner?

Does this same approach work to get borderless prints in other sizes too?

Slow learner here.

Costco again has 11x14 inch photo paper on their web site for what it's worth.

Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?
In reply to detectorman, Oct 18, 2012

detectorman wrote:

OK, I have an oversized canvas in the vertical direction. Do I place the picture against the left edge in the center, or in the upper left corner?

Does this same approach work to get borderless prints in other sizes too?

Slow learner here.

Costco again has 11x14 inch photo paper on their web site for what it's worth.

If you can manage a canvas that is 11 wide and 17 high, put the image at the top edge and the printer will begin printing there and stop when it reaches 14 inches and kick the paper out.

Other sizes don't have this problem.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads