The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
Aug 1, 2012

I just reviewed all of the posts on the Canon 11 x 14 paper size issue. The Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, among others, has no 11 x 14 inch paper size setting. I, too, was stumped for a while, until I figured out the workaround. I didn't see this anywhere in all of my review. I think this applies to only the borderless printing.

I sized my print to 11 x 14 in Photoshop, then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size. I then put my 11 x 14 paper in the printer and told it that it was 11 x 17 paper. It printed borderless 11 x 14 just fine, and ejected the paper when it got to the end of the file.

I also put in a question to Canon about why there is no 11 x 14 setting.
--
Gary Eickmeier

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,463
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 1, 2012

For my Canon, Gary, one simply makes a Custom size as required and saves for future use.
--

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,266
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Zone8, Aug 1, 2012

Zone8 wrote:

For my Canon, Gary, one simply makes a Custom size as required and saves for future use.

But can you then print borderless? I know on my Epson printers, you can only print borderless on specific sizes.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,463
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Hugowolf, Aug 1, 2012

Hugowolf wrote:

But can you then print borderless? I know on my Epson printers, you can only print borderless on specific sizes.

I assume doing the right custom sizing relative to a print size would permit that. I don't honestly know because borderless printing does not come into my printing routines whatsoever. I mount prints behind an aperture, so a border is essential and would never, like ever, be my choice.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
intensity studios
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 1, 2012

this is good to know as I am about to do a load of 11x14 printing to update my portfolio

-- hide signature --
 intensity studios's gear list:intensity studios's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Little
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to intensity studios, Aug 1, 2012

You can not print borderless using custom sizes on the Pro9000MkII.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,597
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to John Little, Aug 2, 2012

I don't have a Canon printer, but what happens then if you create instead a custom size of eg. 11.125" x 14.125" in the printer (or something similar) Non-borderless, but only put an 11x14 sheet in the feeder?

John Little wrote:

You can not print borderless using custom sizes on the Pro9000MkII.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to PicOne, Aug 2, 2012

PicOne wrote:

I don't have a Canon printer, but what happens then if you create instead a custom size of eg. 11.125" x 14.125" in the printer (or something similar) Non-borderless, but only put an 11x14 sheet in the feeder?

I noticed that the printer knows when the paper isn't wide enough to print the specified print width. Anyway, you can just do what I said in the OP and no problem getting an 11 x 14 borderless.

I'm thinking, though, that my method may have one step too many. Maybe try just composing your 11 x 14 image in Photoshop, then tell the printer that it is 11 x 17, and print away. When it comes to the end of the picture, it will be at the end of the paper, and all is well.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leebee
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 3, 2012

I tried that but the printer knows that the paper is the wrong length. It tells me to load from the front instead of the top and then will not feed that way either. I contacted Canon about this last year and got their usual snotty reply. They said in no uncertain terms that the Pro 9000 MKII does not print 11 x 14 borderless and they have absolutely no intention to ever support 11 x 14 printing on this printer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to leebee, Aug 4, 2012

leebee wrote:

I tried that but the printer knows that the paper is the wrong length. It tells me to load from the front instead of the top and then will not feed that way either. I contacted Canon about this last year and got their usual snotty reply. They said in no uncertain terms that the Pro 9000 MKII does not print 11 x 14 borderless and they have absolutely no intention to ever support 11 x 14 printing on this printer.

Well, sorry to hear that, but I have two such prints that I made on it with my workaround. So how in blazes would the printer "know" that the paper is 14 vs 17 inches long?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Little
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Aug 4, 2012

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Well, sorry to hear that, but I have two such prints that I made on it with my workaround. So how in blazes would the printer "know" that the paper is 14 vs 17 inches long?

Yeah, it can check the width, but that's about it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leebee
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 3, 2012

You are right - temporary idiocy on my part. I thought I had set it for 17" and had not. Your method works. Please excuse my stupidity.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bobbygray
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to leebee, Oct 10, 2012

I'm having a problem with my Epson 9800.  Or, I should say,  a problem with Photoshop Elements 9.

After years of use,  I was forced, kicking and screaming, to replace my old Mac,  G5  and buy a new computer.  I now have to upgrade all my software.  and have to pay full price for the latest Photoshop.  Thats $700.

Being cheep,  I have been trying out Elements 9 for my editing.  Printing is now my problem.  Several features that I have always used in the Epson drivers have disappeared. It appears Adobe has eliminated Epson features to prevent professionals from using Adobe's consumer products.  The ability to select sheet paper on custom paper sizes, seems to be missing.  What program are you printing out of?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,266
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Bobbygray, Oct 10, 2012

Bobbygray wrote:

I'm having a problem with my Epson 9800.  Or, I should say,  a problem with Photoshop Elements 9.

After years of use,  I was forced, kicking and screaming, to replace my old Mac,  G5  and buy a new computer.  I now have to upgrade all my software.  and have to pay full price for the latest Photoshop.  Thats $700.

Being cheep,  I have been trying out Elements 9 for my editing.  Printing is now my problem.  Several features that I have always used in the Epson drivers have disappeared. It appears Adobe has eliminated Epson features to prevent professionals from using Adobe's consumer products.  The ability to select sheet paper on custom paper sizes, seems to be missing.  What program are you printing out of?

I really can't see it being an Adobe problem, custom sizes and such are in the realm of the driver not the editing software.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 11, 2012

What do you mean by ...

"then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size"?

Is this a photoshop step? Does the 9000 printer treat a canvas different from a normal image?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to detectorman, Oct 11, 2012

detectorman wrote:

What do you mean by ...

"then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size"?

Is this a photoshop step? Does the 9000 printer treat a canvas different from a normal image?

What we are doing is copy and pasting the 11 x 14 photo onto the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size, then selecting 11 x 17 papaer size when printing. You put an 11 x 14 paper into the printer and go to town.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
detectorman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 11, 2012

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

detectorman wrote:

What do you mean by ...

"then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size"?

Is this a photoshop step? Does the 9000 printer treat a canvas different from a normal image?

What we are doing is copy and pasting the 11 x 14 photo onto the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size, then selecting 11 x 17 papaer size when printing. You put an 11 x 14 paper into the printer and go to town.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

I understand that you cropped the photo to 11x14. Copy and paste I understand. I still don't understand where the 11x17 canvas came from?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to detectorman, Oct 12, 2012

detectorman wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

detectorman wrote:

What do you mean by ...

"then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size"?

Is this a photoshop step? Does the 9000 printer treat a canvas different from a normal image?

What we are doing is copy and pasting the 11 x 14 photo onto the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size, then selecting 11 x 17 papaer size when printing. You put an 11 x 14 paper into the printer and go to town.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

I understand that you cropped the photo to 11x14. Copy and paste I understand. I still don't understand where the 11x17 canvas came from?

Image/ Canvas Size / 11h x 17w/ Enter

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,856
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Oct 14, 2012

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I just reviewed all of the posts on the Canon 11 x 14 paper size issue. The Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, among others, has no 11 x 14 inch paper size setting. I, too, was stumped for a while, until I figured out the workaround. I didn't see this anywhere in all of my review. I think this applies to only the borderless printing.

I sized my print to 11 x 14 in Photoshop, then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size. I then put my 11 x 14 paper in the printer and told it that it was 11 x 17 paper. It printed borderless 11 x 14 just fine, and ejected the paper when it got to the end of the file.

I also put in a question to Canon about why there is no 11 x 14 setting.
--
Gary Eickmeier

I don't have that printer but the one I use (Epson 4800) has User Defined paper setting where you define the size. as long as it's not ridiculously small or bigger than the printer can do it works. Can't you define 11 x 14 on your printer?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,447
Like?
Re: The Amazing, Continuing 11 x 14 Paper Size Issue
In reply to JulesJ, Oct 14, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I just reviewed all of the posts on the Canon 11 x 14 paper size issue. The Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II, among others, has no 11 x 14 inch paper size setting. I, too, was stumped for a while, until I figured out the workaround. I didn't see this anywhere in all of my review. I think this applies to only the borderless printing.

I sized my print to 11 x 14 in Photoshop, then put it on the left edge of an 11 x 17 canvas size. I then put my 11 x 14 paper in the printer and told it that it was 11 x 17 paper. It printed borderless 11 x 14 just fine, and ejected the paper when it got to the end of the file.

I also put in a question to Canon about why there is no 11 x 14 setting.
--
Gary Eickmeier

I don't have that printer but the one I use (Epson 4800) has User Defined paper setting where you define the size. as long as it's not ridiculously small or bigger than the printer can do it works. Can't you define 11 x 14 on your printer?

No, not in borderless.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads