G1X huge disappointment

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions
r32
r32
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
G1X huge disappointment
Jul 31, 2012

Bought a G1X a few months ago and what a disappointment it is. I think perhaps at least a third of my pictures are out of focus. Not a problem I have with my old Leica C Lux 2 or my EOS 5D Mkii.

It seems to struggle to focus on many things. I can see an ebay moment fast approaching.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mcslsk
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X huge disappointment
In reply to r32, Jul 31, 2012

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8958440820/albums

Then why do 95% of my shots come out sharp? Do you run into this problem in all situations or just in low light? Did you try all the settings that are recommended here? Are you shooting a lot of fast action?

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pineledger
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
In reply to mcslsk, Jul 31, 2012

Are you exceeding the camera's macro capabilities? There are workarounds for that.

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,803Gear list
Like?
Operator error NT
-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
steven2874
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

And your post is a huge disappointment. We were hoping for specifics and sample photos instead of "my pictures are blurry(wah)".

justcuz
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

I would say about 98% or more of my shots are in focus...I rarely get a bad shot, even shooting some sports about 95% of my shots are in focus. I think the focus on this camera is wicked accurate.

glenncombs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052
Like?

I am wondering if this is because you are (unintentionally) overlooking the need to change to macro mode on some closeup shots, and/or not changing back to normal mode as well, when necessary. The camera warns with the yellow box in the center of the frame at the half-press of the shutter, before capture. But, perhaps you are ignoring that and going ahead with the shot.

Other causes could also being taking place, but the forum would need some of your examples to offer advise. Most of us are having good photos, most of the time, if you don't violate the macro/normal warning, when it appears. That guarantees an out of focus image.

Glenn
--
Alexander...our wild child

Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,190Gear list
Like?
tnemtnioppasid eguh X1G :eRRe: G1X huge disappointment

At least the subject title makes for a nice looking mirror image, and you got the attention you were looking for.

-Carl

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com
http://www.alphamountworld.com
http://www.slrgear.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com
http://dpreview.com

mcslsk
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
In reply to glenncombs, Jul 31, 2012

Switching back and forth between "normal" and "close focus" mode is a bit annoying and I hope that a firmware update will extend the automatic switching to all modes. If I am in a situation where I would need to switch often, I just use the "Auto" mode not withstanding its other limitations.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,062
Like?

Another "so disappointed" thread.

r32 wrote:

Bought a G1X a few months ago and what a disappointment it is. I think perhaps at least a third of my pictures are out of focus. Not a problem I have with my old Leica C Lux 2 or my EOS 5D Mkii.

It seems to struggle to focus on many things. I can see an ebay moment fast approaching.

howardroark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,657Gear list
Like?
Sounds like a personal problem

If you were looking for help determining if it is the camera at fault or your technique you chose the wrong way to go about it. If you just wanted to complain then allow me to chime with the rest of the crowd: we're disappointed that you don't know how to use the camera.

If you change your mind and would like to determine if the camera needs to be returned let us know. If you are getting a bunch of OOF shots then selling a defective unit on Ebay is dishonest and wrong.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?

Didn't your mother teach NEVER, I repeat NEVER talk negatively against Canon?

You have been warning, the Canon forum will be sure to set you straight LOL

Heavy forbid you have your own opinion.

r32 wrote:

howardroark
Like?
If you've got a complaint, this is not the Canon complaint department.
In reply to snapshot09, Jul 31, 2012

For someone who hates Canon so much you spend an awful lot of time in the Canon forum.

If the OP has a problem that appears to be caused by defective equipment or defective technique then maybe we can help. However, this is not the Canon complaint department. We can't fix his camera if it is broken.

Canon PowerShot G1 X
howardroark
Like?
+1 Operator error
In reply to GaryJP, Jul 31, 2012

Without any more information what else can we conclude?

Canon PowerShot G1 X
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?

Snapshot, I try to stay positive while posting here and generally succeed, but your behavior here on the Canon forum is becoming more tedious daily, as is your glaringly insincere overuse of the smiley faces. Why don't you give us all a break and either get real or get lost.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,803Gear list
Like?
So disappointed in the "so disappointed thread".
In reply to toomanycanons, Jul 31, 2012

3 out of ten.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Stephenbw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,357Gear list
Like?

snapshot09 wrote:

Heavy forbid you have your own opinion.

Well your own (informed) opinion would be a refreshing change to just cutting, pasting, and linking to others' negative opinions.
---
Stephen

Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,428Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X - minimum focusing distance ?

r32 wrote:

Have you checked the manual to see minimum focusing distances using "Normal" vs. "Macro" ? Could that be the problem with your OOF pictures or the camera having a difficult time focusing ?

caorlyn
--
Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett

'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
In reply to Ranlee, Jul 31, 2012

I am sorry you feel that way, just don't see why we cannot all get along? And if we have different views and opinions, even better. However, no need for people to go over on others with negative terminology. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Ranlee wrote:

Snapshot, I try to stay positive while posting here and generally succeed, but your behavior here on the Canon forum is becoming more tedious daily, as is your glaringly insincere overuse of the smiley faces. Why don't you give us all a break and either get real or get lost.

-- hide signature --

Randy

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,424Gear list
Like?

huge ? no, just small disappointment. All P&S cams have the problem that u can't really tell ahead of time if the AF is where u thot it would be like in an slr.

And, btw, amateurs also mess up w slrs.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads