Virgin! Help Please :)

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions
Peterpoose
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Virgin! Help Please :)
Jul 30, 2012

Hi folks,

I have only ever used a small digital compact before.

After my last trip to the Ukraine and through Europe I decided my photos need some Umph!

I travel a lot as I am a tattoo collector and I also love graffiti or street art as its known these days. Anyhows I want to take photos of street art and tattoos from all over the world with my new camera, plus ordinary trip photos.

I also love lightning and storms. I tried taking some lightning pictures this trip as we drove through a tornado but ended up with 100 shots of grey sky lol

Right on to my question about purchasing a new camera.

I was drawn to the new Nikon 3200, don't ask me why but from reading the net and reviews etc.

I am not sure if I should maybe go up in body range from the 3200 to say 7000 or wait and get something mid range in the near future to not have to upgrade so much?

Firstly is this a decent camera for myself being a total newbie or is there something out soon on the horizon I should wait for?

Secondly from what I read about the sensor on the 3200, that to benefit fully from this you really need a better lens?

These are the lenses I was looking at.

Nikon D3200 Kit 18-105VR - for everday use.

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon fit lens - for my street art and travelling places.

Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Lens for Nikon - for my close up shots of tattoos etc.

A good bag suggestion for the kit i listed.

or

A decent make?

Oh and for the memory cards, I have looked at the 64GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 Flash Memory Card 15MB/s Write 20MB/s Read 64 GB?

Any suggestions for a lens cleaning kit lol

lol keep reading more stuff I need. How about a speedlight flash?

UV filters?

Sto Fen?

My budget is around £2000.00 but obviously if I do not need to go that high if not needed for my amateurish hands

Sorry guys for all the stupid questions but i have sourced all the above from seller on Amazon.

Is there anywhere that you guys know that very reputable in the UK that would be better to purchase all this from?

Thanks for any help

Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photobeans
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
go simple to start, then add
In reply to Peterpoose, Jul 30, 2012

Don't overdo it in the beginning or you will end up having a hard time learning how the camera really works.. Just get the camera + 1 all purpose zoom lens. Learn the camera first, get good at it. Don't put it on auto and learn by making mistakes in the P,A,S,M modes. It'll be painful at first and your pictures may suck but eventually you may get good at it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peterpoose
Like?
Re: go simple to start, then add
In reply to photobeans, Jul 30, 2012

Is there an excellent all in one lens that can do from close up to wide zoom to everyday use

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

There are many.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
gerry328
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?

Try the new AFS DX 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR-II or the older and cheaper AFS DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR-II. They are very handy especially in the street since there will be almost no need to change lenses and exposing your camera innards to dust and rain. With 4 stops VR, they can be used indoors without flash in many cases.

gerry328's gear list:gerry328's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C310 Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to gerry328, Jul 31, 2012

gerry328 wrote:

Try the new AFS DX 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR-II or the older and cheaper AFS DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR-II. They are very handy especially in the street since there will be almost no need to change lenses and exposing your camera innards to dust and rain. With 4 stops VR, they can be used indoors without flash in many cases.

Lol, you don't really get 4 stops with most if any lenses, but yes, VR helps a bunch.

To the OP:

I'd say start cheap. Buy used, maybe a body and an 18-55 VR or 18-105 VR. You have a big learning curve in front of you, and until you figure out what you like to shoot, it's dumb to buy a bunch of expensive gear.

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,676
Like?
Grays
In reply to Peterpoose, Jul 31, 2012

Peter, a suggestion has been made that you should buy used gear, which I second. If you are looking for a decent UK supplier for secondhand equipment I can recommend Grays of Westminster:

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php?cat1=4&pg=1

They are the very model of courteousness and service plus they give a year's warranty on all secondhand kit.

If you buy all of the stuff you list in one go you will almost certainly be hopelessly overwhelmed, especially with no prior SLR experience. I would avoid the superzooms (18-200; 18-300). Begin with the 18-105. Add more as your skill grows and as the demand arises.

David

Peterpoose wrote:

Is there anywhere that you guys know that very reputable in the UK that would be better to purchase all this from?

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,428
Like?
Re: Grays
In reply to David Lal, Jul 31, 2012

Could wait just a little while and see what is offered in the next month or so, if not I wouldn't bother going with an entry level camera, if the D7000 is upgraded it's price will likely be dropped...learn all you can about the camera...read the manual when you get it...the lenses you've chosen are good ones, but not necessary at this point. I'd say the 18-105 is a good starting point. I agree with David, stay away from the superzooms. Forget about the 64mb card, much more than you'll need...even 32mb isn't really necessary, if a card fails you've lost a lot of you're pictures.
--
Herby

Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627Gear list
Like?
+1 nt

David Lal wrote:

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php?cat1=4&pg=1

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Peterpoose
Like?
In reply to gerry328, Jul 31, 2012

gerry328 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the names.

Can this lens take the close up tattoo shots I am after?

Peterpoose
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Jul 31, 2012

nfpotter wrote:

gerry328 wrote:

Lol, you don't really get 4 stops with most if any lenses, but yes, VR helps a bunch.

To the OP:

I'd say start cheap. Buy used, maybe a body and an 18-55 VR or 18-105 VR. You have a big learning curve in front of you, and until you figure out what you like to shoot, it's dumb to buy a bunch of expensive gear.

I know what I like to shoot, I think

Want close up tattoo shots, Street art and storms

Peterpoose
Like?
In reply to photobeans, Jul 31, 2012

yes maybe your right!

I should maybe just go with the body and a 18-105 kit to start with

genece
Forum ProPosts: 15,339Gear list
Like?

And perhaps add a 50mm F1.8 (about 135 dollars ) for your tattoo photos, its about as sharp as any and has a 1 1/2 foot working distance

Peterpoose wrote:

yes maybe your right!

I should maybe just go with the body and a 18-105 kit to start with

-- hide signature --

Gene from Western Pa

http://imageevent.com/grc6
http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
FZ 30
D50 ....D80.....D7000 - 18 to 200VR- 50mm 1.8 - 80 to 400 OS

Just trying to learn and it's slow going!

genece's gear list:genece's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Nikon D50 Nikon D7000
ibd
ibd
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to genece, Jul 31, 2012

3200 + 18-105mm sounds great to me. However this lens will not focus very closely (macro).

edit: It's also about 1.5 feet, like the 50mm f1.8 that was suggested. For example, the 18-55mm can focus quite a bit closer, to 0.9 ft.

Peterpoose
Like?
In reply to ibd, Jul 31, 2012

Thanks folks.

I have yet again changed my mind lol

Will be going for the,

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera - Black (18-105 VR Kit)

Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

I think in the long run the D7000 will last longer and hold its money more, plus if I get quite good I will appreciate the extra stuff it has or am I being foolish lol?

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

Peterpoose wrote:

Thanks folks.

Will be going for the,

I think in the long run the D7000 will last longer and hold its money more, plus if I get quite good I will appreciate the extra stuff it has or am I being foolish lol?

Not at all foolish. If you've got the money, that's a VERY good starting set-up.

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,676
Like?
+1 Good choice

n/t

nfpotter wrote:

Peterpoose wrote:

Thanks folks.

Will be going for the,

Not at all foolish. If you've got the money, that's a VERY good starting set-up.

Peterpoose
Like?

Thanks a lot for everyones help!

I guess I am ready lol

Peterpoose
Like?
Re: +1 Good choice

At the moment I have sourced it on Amazon, a German company.

gerry328
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peterpoose, Aug 1, 2012

Can't see why not. The minimum focusing distances are 0.5m for the 18-200 and 0.45m for the 18-300. When I take close-up shots with my AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (min. focusing distance of 1.5m), I set it to 300mm, back off from my subject sufficiently, use a min. 1/500 sec shutter speed since the lens has no VR and the aperture at maximum f/5.6 for background blur. Since my D7000 has 16MP, I can usually crop and easily get what looks like a close-up shot. For this particular lens, I avoid using a UV filter and rely on the hood for protection.

gerry328's gear list:gerry328's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C310 Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads