1DX should I buy it, or stick with my 5DMK3

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions
Guy 2
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
1DX should I buy it, or stick with my 5DMK3
Jul 30, 2012

This may appear to be a silly question, but, as the 1dx is now becoming available, should I buy one or stick with my 5dmk3..? I shoot all manner of stuff, and I like good image quality. I am locked into canon at the moment due to the amount of lenses I have.

Is the image quality going to improve, I was hoping there may be a few folk out there who have made this move already..?

I was in the same dillema when using my old IDSMK2 (for sale if you know anyone looking for one) I baught a 5dmk2 and mostly stopped using the the 1dsmk2 as I liked the smaller body of the 5dmk2, I like the smaller body of the 5dmk3 too,,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike engelmeyer
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: 1DX should I buy it, or stick with my 5DMK3
In reply to Guy 2, Jul 30, 2012

Best Canon I've ever used. True story- phenomenal.
--
Mike Engelmeyer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nurron
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

I have both. The 5Dlll is great tool, so I don't think you need the 1Dx unless you have specific photography needs. I use 1DX for really low light. but it's even more versatile than just for low light. I don't mind using it anywhere, especially with the new Canon 40 1.8, which really reduces the weight and profile. I tend to use the 1Dx with my 50 1.2L. I really like the 5dMarkk III, which has better image quality and portability. The 1DX is a really first rate tool, with great image quality right out of camera. Heavy, but you should already know that anyway. If you have a good Canon lenses, you'll be very happy--as long as you think you can afford it. You might miss your 5Dlll in certain situations but you might be able to do without it. Rent the 1Dx, and see for yourself. Don't think you'll be disappointed one bit.

John
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293
Like?

I kept both the 5D Mark III and the 1DX. I will also keep my D800, but intend to dump my D4 that has the green LCD and out of camera disease. Really irritating. Glad I kept my D3s which hasn't got the incurable algae sickness. What was Nikon thinking. They say it is as designed after returning it once.

Keyser Sze
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?

I've got both and kept both, I try and use the 1Dx as much as possible, both are great.

Image quality is good on both, but I find that i can do slightly more to the images from the 1Dx, the build and the focusing is brilliant too.

You can't go wrong with either.

Guy 2 wrote:

This may appear to be a silly question, but, as the 1dx is now becoming available, should I buy one or stick with my 5dmk3..? I shoot all manner of stuff, and I like good image quality. I am locked into canon at the moment due to the amount of lenses I have.

Is the image quality going to improve, I was hoping there may be a few folk out there who have made this move already..?

I was in the same dillema when using my old IDSMK2 (for sale if you know anyone looking for one) I baught a 5dmk2 and mostly stopped using the the 1dsmk2 as I liked the smaller body of the 5dmk2, I like the smaller body of the 5dmk3 too,,

-- hide signature --

Who's Keyser Soze?

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,437Gear list
Like?
Simple.

Buy the 1Dx and send me the 5D III.

OK, kidding aside, if you can afford the 1Dx and are willing to shoulder the weight, it's a no-brainer. Get it.

And keep the 5D III, as well. For those times when you want to travel a little lighter.
--
-------------------------------------------------
No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Blake Cook
Senior MemberPosts: 2,209Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Jul 31, 2012

+1 but, I would add that, where the 1Dx really excels over the 5D3 is when you really miss exposure, raw recovery with the 1Dx is much better. 1Dx jpg's out of camera are very good. jpg's from the 5D3 are often vinyl clad and exposure recovery nets big time banding at low ISO.
--
Blake in Vancouver
Panasonic Stuff, Canon Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?

You haven't given much to go on. You like image quality. I think most people here do. The problem is there's may different aspects to image quality... Resolution, dynamic range, noise. Also on different cameras these factors can vary in different conditions. Some cameras will have better quality at high ISO but might have some marginal issues at lower ISO. Some may be phenomenal at low ISO but noisy at high ISO.

You didn't say anything about needing very fast fps continuous shooting. You didn't say anything about wanting slightly more intelligent autofocus tracking and better metering. You didn't say anything about high Maybe in your image quality requirements you want better performance at high ISO, so then maybe then the 1DX would give you some improvement. But if you care about resolution and being able to zoom in, particularly at lower ISO... the 5D Mk III is probably where you want to be.

But that's just my take on it. It might be fun to rent one and try it out. Sometimes there are other factors than quantitative image quality measurements that make a camera better for you. Some companies may be willing to work a deal where you can rent it, and if you decide to buy one they'll put the cost of the rental towards the purchase of a new body.

-- hide signature --

~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
OldCanonUser
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
John
In reply to John, Jul 31, 2012

Couldn't help noticing your post resembles a camera store and a little of me. I couldn't resist the D800 even though I own a 5D3 and a 1Dx. Curious what 36mp could do.

Nikon should be ashamed of being in denial over an obvious AF issue in the D800 and the QC problems in the D4. I wonder whether it is a byproduct of having to ramp up product in the face of the tsunami. Canon sure took its time getting the 1Dx out and it may have been worth it (sans the memory door).

Bob

John wrote:

I kept both the 5D Mark III and the 1DX. I will also keep my D800, but intend to dump my D4 that has the green LCD and out of camera disease. Really irritating. Glad I kept my D3s which hasn't got the incurable algae sickness. What was Nikon thinking. They say it is as designed after returning it once.

Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,039Gear list
Like?
1dx better

For an event shooter the 5D jpegs have heavy noise reduction and RAW buffer is just too small. I'm getting poor keeper rates with the 135L in panning action shots, it just doesn't seem to stay locked in focus in ai servo burst mode with that lens.
--
Kevin Coppalotti
http://maxhr.zenfolio.com/

Guy 2
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to kb2zuz, Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for all your comments, I left it open to get a wide range of views, thing is I take a full range of images, Wildlife, particularly birds and birds in flight, theatre work, (often low light but sometime bright, follow spot) studio work, portraits, some sport (rugby) some landscape, architecture etc, the odd wedding, Prom' etc..I already appreciate the new auto focus system for flying birds with a good hit rate.

I use 2 5dmks3 side by side in the theatre as a matched pair (easier to control the settings if they are both the dame body. I have a 7d for wildlife but do not like the noise once you get to 400 iso, I have been using the mk3 for wildlife and will now get rid of the 7d. I still have a 5dmk2 (mint) sitting in a box so that can go too. Wanted to end up with a smaller kit, so it seemed a good choice to go for the 1DX and keep the mk3’s. I like their smaller bodies.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.. Guy

pso
pso
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017
Like?
Re: John
In reply to OldCanonUser, Jul 31, 2012

One thing is for sure...whoever the maker is and whatever the camera is...I will def never be an early buyer again.

OldCanonUser wrote:

Couldn't help noticing your post resembles a camera store and a little of me. I couldn't resist the D800 even though I own a 5D3 and a 1Dx. Curious what 36mp could do.

Nikon should be ashamed of being in denial over an obvious AF issue in the D800 and the QC problems in the D4. I wonder whether it is a byproduct of having to ramp up product in the face of the tsunami. Canon sure took its time getting the 1Dx out and it may have been worth it (sans the memory door).

Bob

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

OldCanonUser
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Re: John
In reply to pso, Aug 1, 2012

There was a time when a company developed a reputation of quality and craftsmanship and maintained that high level through many products. When that company would announce a new product and gave specs you were reasonably assured that the new product would function as expected.

Times have changed and so has QC. Small glitches are expected and the companies respond, if only so slowly. I suppose I have been lucky in my purchases of Cam items and am not unwilling to be a first adopter. Hopwever, if Nikon is too squirrely with the D800 mess it will hurt them in the future. Certainly it will change my behavior.

Bob

pso wrote:

One thing is for sure...whoever the maker is and whatever the camera is...I will def never be an early buyer again.

OldCanonUser wrote:

Bob

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

ZAnton
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Formula 1 car. Should I buy it or stick with my Toyota?
In reply to Guy 2, Aug 1, 2012

I though, that people who buy camera for $7000 do know why they do it, and don't need an advice from random forum members.

Answer is - not. If you don't know why you need 1Dx, then you don't need it.

Guy 2 wrote:

ZAnton's gear list:ZAnton's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Aug 1, 2012

Don't currently own either one but only played with them in some of those Canon road show in the local camera store and played with friends' new toys, if that's my purchase, it would be a very easy decision -- 1Dx.

In fact I recently upgrade my camera to the D800E instead of 5D3, currently shooting 1DS2, 1D2, 5D2, D3, and just received my long waited D800E, and the next upgrade I will do is to replace all 3 of my ancient Canon body with the 1Dx, just too spoiled by everything those 1D/D3 body has to offer, the AF system, the handling, the built quality, the speed, the metering.......never a big fan of small camera, and in fact the body size and handling is my only complain about the D800E, so for me between the 5D3 and 1Dx is a really choice, but you already mentioned you like small camera, then why don't you just go with your own preference. who care if everyone else like the 1DX or whatever, it's your money and your own camera and you are the one will be using it not me.

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy 2, Aug 3, 2012

Stick with the excellent 5d MK III if you can and if possible buy any lenses missing from your arsenal...

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads