RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions
Nikguy
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac
Jul 30, 2012

Has anyone compared the Filbac G2 to the Richard Franiec grip on the RX100. I love the camera and the overall feel is good. I did notice my finger touches the wheel which has small teeth which I feel. Not a big issues but I would like a grip that would help move my finger away and add to holding.

In the pictures the Richard F. grip looks better for that purpose. Maybe he can give me his assessment.

Nikguy's gear list:Nikguy's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Re: RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac
In reply to Nikguy, Jul 30, 2012

I have the flipbac g2 on my RX100. I am thinking about ripping it off as my fingers keep turning the mode wheel around the lens and changing my settings. I actually have the grip hanging off the camera a bit above the curve on the left side. Richards grip looks like a much better fit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikguy
Like?
In reply to Jarola, Jul 30, 2012

Thanks! I thought that maybe the case. My finger hits it now I don't want to move it closer. I have found out how to hold it without hitting the ring but would rather have it move into a position as I grab it that puts it a little away from the ring

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
In reply to Nikguy, Jul 30, 2012

I am considering buying the sony case for the RX which will improve the grip, but I also just discovered the faux leather stick on grip.

Meganrogers
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
In reply to Jarola, Jul 30, 2012

None of the Flipbaks have enough clearance between the hump and the lens. They look nice but you won't be able to fit your fingertips between the lens and grip unless you do some trimming to reposition. The franic grip is a custom fit but the surface is smooth an less "grippy" than rubber. Other options are "egrip" which works well without adding a hump on the front or "Sugru" which will allow you to custom mold the shape you want. If you use Sugru, mask around the area you want with tape which you can remove after the silicone is hard. The Sugru hardens smooth and somewhat slippery but if you have the impression of a couple finger or concave shape then it will work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTECTIVE-EGRIP-STICKER-FOR-CELL-PHONE-REMOTE-GPS-CAMERA-MP3-PLAYER-PDA-BLACK-/350496564395?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item519b3924ab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SUGRU-3-pk-sampler-HOT-PRODUCT-Make-BUMPERS-Fix-CABLES-/251117214914?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a77c09cc2

Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to Meganrogers, Jul 31, 2012

I have used Sugru for other things. It's very useful, but it seems really hard to get it smooth enough to look anything other than jerry-rigged. That might be fine for a hammer handle, but I would hate to have a lumpy piece of black putty on my beautiful RX-100!

Meganrogers wrote:

The Sugru hardens smooth and somewhat slippery but if you have the impression of a > couple finger or concave shape then it will work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SUGRU-3-pk-sampler-HOT-PRODUCT-Make-BUMPERS-Fix-CABLES-/251117214914?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a77c09cc2

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
ericwestpheling
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to Meganrogers, Jul 31, 2012

I have the flipbac g1 and it fits nicely, you do end up with your fingers against the wheel, but ive never inadvertently moved it, and I rarely use the wheel anyway.

Nikguy
Like?
In reply to ericwestpheling, Jul 31, 2012

Thanks to all for the tips I like the neetness of Richards grip and want my rx100 to look and feel like what is added keeps it looking good. I think I will try the Richard F grip. Again thanks for your input I will look into all of the suggestions

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikguy, Jul 31, 2012

I'll bet Richard's grip is better, after all his are custom designed, but I got the Flipbac. I like the Flipbac G1 for the RX100 and put it right on the edge of the curve so there is more room next to the lens. Works great for me. An added bonus is that the length of the Flipbac is exactly the same as from the bottom of the RX100 to the line that goes across the camera, so it looks like it was made to fit. The Flipbac is only $10 here in the states, which is about half the price of the other.

Nikguy wrote:

Thanks to all for the tips I like the neetness of Richards grip and want my rx100 to look and feel like what is added keeps it looking good. I think I will try the Richard F grip. Again thanks for your input I will look into all of the suggestions

-- hide signature --

Dave

Evadremlu
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

My strip of Velcro still works extremely well for a grip:

See:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=42119380

In reality its almost invisible on the camera only this flash shot makes it visible.

Evadremlu's gear list:Evadremlu's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
Nikguy
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Jul 31, 2012

Do you have a picture of g1 showing it on your rx100?

Nikguy
Like?
In reply to Evadremlu, Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the picture and your idea. Velcro is my best friend but not in this case

I don't like the look but you did come up with a solution that works... And that deserves a congrats

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: RX 100 Grip, Richards Vs Flipbac - Egrips Also
maestro55
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jarola, Aug 4, 2012

I added the flip bac G3. It fits perfectly below the 'belt' and above the battery door. I placed the edge just where the flat front face of the camera curves to the side. This leaves a tight space between grip and lens control ring, but it's just enough to 'hook' my middle finger yet not accidentally turn the ring after hundreds of shots. The rubber texture is not identical but feels very similar to the thumb rest on the back. The added bulk does not seem to have any negatives on my pocket ability. Not as visully elefagant as Franiec's sculptured beauty, but for $15 and a minute to apply its a darn easy way to dramatically improve the grip on this superb camera.

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Aug 4, 2012

And here they are on my camera:

John McCormack wrote:

Someone mentioned Egrips in another thread. They look good. Here's a link:

-- hide signature --

Liz

Isfandiyar
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikguy, Aug 12, 2012

I have the Franiec grip and after I installed it I took a video. I must say it felt so natural I forgot that it was there - in my view that's a great achievement as it felt completely natural in hand. No finger touching the lens ring. No regrets.

Isfandiyar's gear list:Isfandiyar's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Peter v.d Werf
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., Aug 12, 2012

Liz Z. wrote:

And here they are on my camera:

Personally that looks like a small piece of tape, and I find it an ugly addition to this camera. If you don't want to attach a separate grip, I'd look at tis one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&thread=42241400
That looks beautiful and enhances a bit of grip.

I received Richard Franiec's grip for my RX100 a few days ago and it's a perfect fit, just like the ones for the S90 and S95 were.

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to Peter v.d Werf, Aug 12, 2012

It is kind of tacky, I agree. I may well get Richard's grip, but in the mean time this is functional, and actually far less noticeable in real life than in the image. The other add-on only covers the front of the camera, so to me it looks a bit like a fa├žade that is trying to make the camera look like a Leica.

Peter v.d Werf wrote:

I find it an ugly addition to this camera.

I received Richard Franiec's grip for my RX100 a few days ago and it's a perfect fit, just like the ones for the S90 and S95 were.

-- hide signature --

Liz

david seto
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Nikguy, Aug 12, 2012

I'm intending to buy a RX100 and hope someone produces a grip similar to those available for Nikon J1 and Leica compact digital cameras. Can anyone confirm these do or do not fit the RX ?
Cheers David.

Walt Bilofsky
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
Custom Leatherette
In reply to Peter v.d Werf, Aug 12, 2012

Peter v.d Werf wrote:

If you don't want to attach a separate grip, I'd look at tis one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&thread=42241400
That looks beautiful and enhances a bit of grip.

That's the one I got. $17 and took four days to arrive from Japan.

I just used the bottom panels but there are strips for the top also. Holding the camera with middle finger under the lens gives all the support I need, but the extra grip makes it feel secure.

I haven't noticed a problem with accidentally turning the lens ring. I've got it set for exposure compensation, and it takes more than a little movement to invoke the function.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads