looking for suspicious FF SLT camera in the Olympics.

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,257
Like?
Re: Why?
In reply to cyainparadise, Aug 1, 2012

cyainparadise wrote:

There is nothing at the Olympics that Sony can use for commercial purposes.

Why are you stuck on "commercial" ?? No one here said anything about Sony trying to use or sell pics taken with "A99".

It's a very good place to test the camera in real world situations against other cameras.

99.9999% of the people there wouldnt notice if Sony had some shooters there with "A99", they could even have a fake "A77" logo on it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
For those who think that...
In reply to Rooru S, Aug 1, 2012

Sony could somehow use the Olympics to their advantage, even though they are not an Official Sponsor of the 2012 Olympic Games, you might wan to read this-

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--beats-by-dre-gives-headphones-to-british-athletes--angering-ioc.html

Not only is the IOC upset with Dr. Dre, they are not allowing the athletes use social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to promote their sponsor who are not Olympic sponsors.

cyainparadise
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Aug 1, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Why are you stuck on "commercial" ?? No one here said anything about Sony trying to use or sell pics taken with "A99".

It's a very good place to test the camera in real world situations against other cameras.

99.9999% of the people there wouldnt notice if Sony had some shooters there with "A99", they could even have a fake "A77" logo on it.

You mean to tell me that there is no other place that Sony can test their cameras against other cameras.

Here's some other places and/or subjects- 1) an auto race or motocross event 2) Shooting the Blu Angles in Seattle this week 3) people jogging 4) a pickup basketball game 5) football practice (either high school or college) 6) surfers 7) bungee jumpers 8) bicycle riders 9) swimmers at the neighborhood pool 10) a children's gymnastic class

Most of these places/subjects can be shot at little or no cost. Why spend the big bucks for testing . The money they save, they can buy samples of the competitors cameras.

There is nothing magical about the Olympics. You, and others, seem to think that Sony has to be at the Olympics to validate the quality of their cameras. That somehow by having their camera seen at the Olympics they have reached the zenith of the camera world. Panasonic is an official sponsor and their cameras are not seen as equal to Canon or Nikon.

You and some others are felling inferior because the other guys use Canon and Nikon, and by not seeing Sony all over the place, you feel emasculated.

Archer66
Like?

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Why spend the big bucks for testing . The money they save, they can buy samples of the competitors cameras.

Are you serious ????

cyainparadise
Like?
Selective editing to distort the story

Archer66, why don't you post the full post that you're replying to, to give the context in which I wrote- "Why spend the big bucks for testing . The money they save, they can buy samples of the competitors cameras."

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=42162919

You should work for some politician as you are very much a spin-master. And, why don't you reply to the points I made, rather than trying to twist my words? Is it because you're unable to do so?

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Why spend the big bucks for testing . The money they save, they can buy samples of the competitors cameras.

Are you serious ????

Archer66
Like?
Re: Selective editing to distort the story

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66, why don't you post the full post that you're replying to, to give the context in which I wrote- "Why spend the big bucks for testing . The money they save, they can buy samples of the competitors cameras."

You should work for some politician as you are very much a spin-master. And, why don't you reply to the points I made, rather than trying to twist my words? Is it because you're unable to do so?

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Are you serious ????

And your points are ?

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,768Gear list
Like?
Re: looking for suspicious FF SLT camera in the Olympics.

This one looks suspicious!

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
cyainparadise
Like?
Re: Selective editing to distort the story

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Archer66 wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Are you serious ????

And your points are ?

Why don't you read the post that I referred to, to find out?

rothwells
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Aug 1, 2012

jonikon wrote:

-- hide signature --

• Jon

look at the selector on the left. It's a nikon.

rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
TheVoid
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?

What a fascinating thread...

My two cents: Forget about "testing" the camera at the olympics, but on the other hand, lets pretend I'm a marketing guy working for Sony trying to dream up creative ways to get the pro photog community buzzing more seriously about a new FF sony body. I look around and discover that internet viral marketing is both free and wonderfully effective at generating buzz in target markets. So I think to myself..."Where can I get pro photographers talking about this new gear way ahead of any official marketing launch/announcement" and naturally I land on the Olympics as a perfect venue where I can simply show up with this camera, let a few people see it in person or from a distance over broadcast coverage, then disappear and let the rumors get going... then people who stare at the gear in the background, instead of the athletes in the foreground (and I am guilty of this), will spend a few days speculating in chat forums, breathing new life and interest into a product as yet unannounced!

I'm speculating like the rest of you (and have not spotted the alleged gear in the coverage I've been watching), but this scenario makes sense to me more so than using the Olympics as some sort of real-world try-out. I also think that secrecy of design is one thing, but Sony would be crazy not to encourage more informal rumors/speculation by staging a few sightings in prominent environments, of which the Olympics is at the top of the list right now.

Cheers,
--
Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to rothwells, Aug 1, 2012

rothwells wrote:

jonikon wrote:

-- hide signature --

• Jon

look at the selector on the left. It's a nikon.

Yes, suspiciously like a Nikon FF DSLR with the rumored 800mm f5.6 lens attached!
--

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
cyainparadise
Like?
A much better way...
In reply to TheVoid, Aug 1, 2012

is to make a cameras with a full system (and accessories), plus the professional support that the pros would want to use, or need to have. Right now, they are about 80% of the way with a desirable camera, and about 55% of the way with the system and accessories, and about 15% of the way with the support.

If Sony can't bring all of them up to at least 90%, then to have Sony at the Olympics is just for posing purposes. And, the Canon and Nikon user would be right in sneering at Sony.

rothwells
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: A much better way...

Only in internet forums do users of one type if equipment "sneer" at users of different equipment.

In the real world, we call those type of people children and we both treat them and disregard them as such.

rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Nightswimmer
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to Rooru S, Aug 2, 2012

Is this it? If it is, then it looks like in a rather surprising move Sony have switched to using ARM processors.

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/live-blog-london-2012/live-coverage-london-olympics-day-4-20120731-23cl9.html

(Sorry, couldn't resist :p)

alphacam
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nightswimmer, Aug 2, 2012

Great ARM processor!!!

-- hide signature --

Phil + Northern California | a 8 5 0 + Z + G | http://www.zeissimages.com/alphazeiss

alphacam's gear list:alphacam's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Adobe Photoshop CS6
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,275
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Aug 2, 2012

Hope nothing important happens on the left side.

Archer66
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Aug 2, 2012

jonikon wrote:

Yes, suspiciously like a Nikon FF DSLR with the rumored 800mm f5.6 lens attached!

http://www.leonneal.com/blog/2012/07/31/nikon-800mm-f5-6-preview/

I wonder if he asked cyanparadise's permission to test it during Olympics.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads