Bad CA on Panasonic 12-35 - Advise please

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854
Like?
Bad CA on Panasonic 12-35 - Advise please
Jul 28, 2012

Only just got the OMD-EM5 and Panasonic 12-35 today and took a few snaps but when I compared them to the Sony RX100 I noticed more CA than I expected.

Any advise appreciated, to be honest I didn't expect this with a £1000 lens or am I being to critical?

Sony RX 100

Oly OMD EM5 + Panasonic 12-35

Thanks

Ian

Jerodequin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235Gear list
Like?
Re: Bad CA on Panasonic 12-35 - Advise please
In reply to ianbrown, Jul 28, 2012

The RX100 will be performing automatic CA removal, unfortunately Olympus do not perform CA removal with any lens, on a Panasonic body the CA would be removed by the camera, you would need to post process the images to remove the CA you have.

That said, it does seem to have quite a bit on the sample you've shown, if you can try another copy of the lens you could eliminate any chance of having a less than optimal copy.

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,968Gear list
Like?

RX100 corrects in body, OLy never does. Panny bodies do remove this. I believe in LR4.x and may be other programs too it is corrected.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +9 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jorginho, Jul 28, 2012

Wait. What? Did you make that up? I cant find that info anywhere, post a link for the RX100.

Jorginho wrote:

RX100 corrects in body, OLy never does. Panny bodies do remove this. I believe in LR4.x and may be other programs too it is corrected.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
willymcd
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

ianbrown wrote:

Only just got the OMD-EM5 and Panasonic 12-35 today and took a few snaps but when I compared them to the Sony RX100 I noticed more CA than I expected.

Any advise appreciated, to be honest I didn't expect this with a £1000 lens or am I being to critical?

I say return it, Panasonic was lazy and made an uber expensive lens that relies on in camera corrections, and it obviously doesn't work well with the OM-D. There was a comparison on here not long ago, not the best or definitive comparison but it shows the old oly 12-60 is still best. and that the sharpness and CA leaves something to be desired on the pana. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41878668 .

JoeVC
Contributing MemberPosts: 659
Like?
In reply to willymcd, Jul 28, 2012

willymcd wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

I say return it, Panasonic was lazy and made an uber expensive lens that relies on in camera corrections, and it obviously doesn't work well with the OM-D. There was a comparison on here not long ago, not the best or definitive comparison but it shows the old oly 12-60 is still best. and that the sharpness and CA leaves something to be desired on the pana. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41878668 .

Philosophical differences aside, this is a known issue between most Lumix lenses and Olympus bodies since 2008 2009. That's nearly four years ago, for those actually keeping track (the Lumix G1 came out in September 2008, the EP-1 in early 2009). Thousands of people have chosen this lens/body combination with satisfaction, and have accepted the fact that they have to do manual CA correction to the files in post.

I believe most modern PP softwares permit custom profiles to be saved that can easily automate the CA correction required, so this shouldn't be a show-stopper.

The alternative is to purchase a much more expensive lens that is corrected optically rather than electronically.

Joe

Jorginho
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Jul 28, 2012

"Chromatic Aberration. Thanks to in-camera aberration correction, there's very little to virtually no chromatic aberration to be seen in the corners with the RX100's lens at either wide-angle or telephoto settings. Note that the RX100 suppresses CA, as uncorrected RAW files show a good bit more CA than seen above.""

Imaging resource review.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +9 more
reggieandtfe
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
In reply to Jorginho, Jul 28, 2012

LR4.2 has one click CA removal. Works like a charm. I've actually encountered less CA than I expected with my 12-35mm so far going by all the negative reports. It has much less than the 14mm pancake with my OM-D, for example.

Jorginho
Like?
In reply to reggieandtfe, Jul 28, 2012

Some over here want their view to be universal. If they want all things optically, don't buy lenses that are not perfect or at least that are "inexcusable". I am perfectly happy with what my GH2 does and if LR 4.x does it with Oly's, that is okey too. To me.

Jerodequin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to reggieandtfe, Jul 28, 2012

Is there a way to view the raw files from Panasonic without the CA correction applied? I downloaded raw therapee out of interest,but can't seem to find an option to do this?

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,878Gear list
Like?

This is exactly why I will not use any Non Panasonic lens on my GX-1. Keep everything matched for 100% compatibility Or switch to Panasonic. Maybe Olympus will catch up and that will be great.

Remember the lens should always drive the camera body purchase. I look at a given system as a whole and all accessories at the time of purchase. I could have bought Olympus after selling my Nikon D90 gear to make a total switch, but for me I did not like what Olympus offered and Panasonic seemed to have more.

This is my subjective opinion and what works for me. I am not saying Olympus is bad or anything just for me it is not my choice looking at the bigger picture for what I perceive today.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Anthony Curcione
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Jul 29, 2012

With my first pictures with this lens on the E-M5 I saw the CA. And this was WITH LR and WITH CA correction ON. I had to tweak the CA manually in several instances. There's no reason for this on ANY standardized system and is a fault of the lens construction, not the body. To hell with the software to fix it or in-body correction.

That said, this is the only MFT zoom lens with a constant fast aperture andi it is sharp. So we have to do a little correction in post, not a problem. Still, I have to agree that this lens at this price could be better and without relying on software to correct.

Anthony Curcione's gear list:Anthony Curcione's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
eyedo
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
In reply to ianbrown, Jul 29, 2012

One click in Lightroom 4 will remove it without any problems.

I have this with the priciest Nikon lenses as well,so as long as it cleans up quickly with no effort,I would not worry about it.

bpalme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to eyedo, Jul 29, 2012

Rx100 seems to be quite a winner.

But I think you are being too critical. That photo looks like a 100% crop or more?

Not that 2.8 is that fast but the faster the glass the more you get it. Some are worse but expensive Leica glass has it as well.
--
M9|28|35|50
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/28346880@N05/interesting

bpalme's gear list:bpalme's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
ianbrown
Like?
In reply to bpalme, Jul 29, 2012

Thanks everyone for your help.

The shot is a 100% crop but you can still notice it at print size, looks like best opion is to buy LR4?

To be honest I took other shots of high contrast but none or very little CA

I took 5 shots of the same image but at different apetures all have the same amount of CA !

I took other High contrast images but no CA!

Does this happen with all expensive lenses?

Would changing it for another give me any better results on is this just how it is?

Thanks

Ian

zzapamiga
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
What aperture is the 12-35 photo?

What aperture is the 12-35 photo shot at?

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: Lightroom 4

is the answer.

ianbrown wrote:

Sony RX 100

Oly OMD EM5 + Panasonic 12-35

Thanks

Ian

ianbrown
Like?
Re: What aperture is the 12-35 photo?
In reply to zzapamiga, Jul 29, 2012

f5.6 @ 24mm but also dod it at f8 and f11 and it's still there!

Thanks

zzapamiga wrote:

What aperture is the 12-35 photo shot at?

Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,755
Like?

Ian, you should check the 12-35 for decentering (focus on one side different than the other). I had a badly decentered 45/1.8 and it somewhat worse (or at least different) CA than the properly centered replacement lens.

ianbrown
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, Jul 29, 2012

Interestingly I did some more shots today and noticed the CA started to go away after a focal length of about 22mm by 26mm its all gone.

But at 12-18mm ( 24-36) its quiet bad

Will all copies be like this?

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads