X-S1 Killing time...

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
X-S1 Killing time...
Jul 27, 2012

Dropped some clients off at Wentworth yesterday so had the whole day to play in the sun.

Paul.

Michael Melb AU
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

Great images! If you call this time killing, what would be the the proper use result?
--
Everyone can do it - some do it well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
expressivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to Michael Melb AU, Jul 27, 2012

Very nice shooting Paul!

Patrick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to Michael Melb AU, Jul 27, 2012

Michael Melb AU wrote:

Great images! If you call this time killing, what would be the the proper use result?

Thanks, killing time is its proper use, I only started taking pictures to fill the void when waiting for clients every day. I get an awful lot of free time and I can't go to the pub for a drink, although I do get tempted.

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to expressivecanvas, Jul 27, 2012

expressivecanvas wrote:

Very nice shooting Paul!

Thanks Pat, It's a nice cam to cover your every need when out and about.

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tubbyrincewind
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

Very impressed Paul. I only hope mine gives similar results when it comes back from Fuji (been with them for two weeks now - sensor/lens has been replaced but awaiting to go the lab to have the autofocus calibration checked at my request).

Nige

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,327Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

This one and next to it has horrible background. Why did you pull it?

Then rest are fantastic images. Maybe over-sharpened but the colors and details are great.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 27, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

Then rest are fantastic images. Maybe over-sharpened but the colors and details are great.

They are all very over sharpened. He has to compensate for the very soft lens.

 rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to Tubbyrincewind, Jul 27, 2012

Tubbyrincewind wrote:

Very impressed Paul. I only hope mine gives similar results when it comes back from Fuji (been with them for two weeks now - sensor/lens has been replaced but awaiting to go the lab to have the autofocus calibration checked at my request).

Thanks Nige, look forward to seeing some pics when you get it back. I've never had any autofocus problems, although it doesn't focus very close at full zoom.

I've just tried it with my Sigma Achromatic lens (1.6 dioptre) and it now focuses down to 21" at full zoom, without it it's 90" without engaging macro mode.

Paul.

624mm as close as I can get.

624mm with Sigma attached. Should be able to get some bug shots now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 27, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

This one and next to it has horrible background. Why did you pull it?

Are you talking about the artefacts or the fact that its a little busy?

The artefacts are produced by uploading them here, on my screen it looks like this.

Then rest are fantastic images. Maybe over-sharpened but the colors and details are great.

Very little sharpening done to them, Amount 40% radius 0.5.

Here is the sooc shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,907Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 27, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

This one and next to it has horrible background. Why did you pull it?

Confirming once more that your standards are waaaaayyyyyy out of whack

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,907Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

PAUL TILL wrote:

Very little sharpening done to them, Amount 40% radius 0.5.

The roses, daisies and water lilies are easily the best shots of the bunch. They don't suffer from too much sharpening and they show a level of smoothness that is reminiscent of the best SCCD sensors.

But there are several in the series that are heavily over sharpened, which is a strong temptation with this sensor and lens. I have said numerous times that I really dislike this new 2/3" sensor as it hard to get a nice JPEG out of either camera (yes, they have nice color but they are either soft or showing halos ... the middle ground is extremely hard to achieve.)

And Fuji seem to refuse to give up any secrets to Adobe, so we are stuck with images that are extremely difficult to process in RAW. I have been able to get some reasonable results, but it takes minutes per image to find the right combination of the sliders.

All in all I am really disappointed in what Fuji has done with the X series.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

For a snapshot moment I thought you finally "killed" the Fuji.(lol).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,327Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

This one and next to it has horrible background. Why did you pull it?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4725/30005633.jpg

Are you talking about the artefacts or the fact that its a little busy?

The artefacts are produced by uploading them here, on my screen it looks like this.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8702/capturebci.jpg

Then rest are fantastic images. Maybe over-sharpened but the colors and details are great.

Very little sharpening done to them, Amount 40% radius 0.5.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6844/capture1wn.jpg

Here is the sooc shot.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/171/dscf0091j.jpg

Yep those artifacts! Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? Adjust the brightness remember?

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_pokkrong
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

Really nice set of pictures.

Pokkrong

 s_pokkrong's gear list:s_pokkrong's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot G12 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jul 27, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

Very little sharpening done to them, Amount 40% radius 0.5.

The roses, daisies and water lilies are easily the best shots of the bunch. They don't suffer from too much sharpening and they show a level of smoothness that is reminiscent of the best SCCD sensors.

But there are several in the series that are heavily over sharpened, which is a strong temptation with this sensor and lens. I have said numerous times that I really dislike this new 2/3" sensor as it hard to get a nice JPEG out of either camera (yes, they have nice color but they are either soft or showing halos ... the middle ground is extremely hard to achieve.)

And Fuji seem to refuse to give up any secrets to Adobe, so we are stuck with images that are extremely difficult to process in RAW. I have been able to get some reasonable results, but it takes minutes per image to find the right combination of the sliders.

All in all I am really disappointed in what Fuji has done with the X series.

I'm sticking with it, hopefully there will be a few firmware updates to help the IQ.

Here are a variety of images without any sharpening applied, simply downsized. Any better?

Paul.

The conditions were very challenging yesterday, 30C and bright sunshine, I thought the cam did really well especially on shots like this one where I'm in the shade and the sun was shinning through the trees.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to jcmarfilph, Jul 27, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

Yep those artifacts! Are you sure your monitor is calibrated? Adjust the brightness remember?

Well the artefacts are not my doing it's the sites hosting the files. Yes my monitor is calibrated, what's wrong with the brightness?

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to s_pokkrong, Jul 27, 2012

s_pokkrong wrote:

Really nice set of pictures.

Thanks man.

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

Here is another image showing how well this sensor handles the DR, I'm standing in the sun shooting into it and she is in the bright sunshine and the barge in in the shade. Remember these are JPEG's too not processed from RAW files.

Paul.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,907Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Killing time...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 27, 2012

The three close ups (#2, #4, #5) are fabulous. The perfect level of sharpening from my perspective.

The rest have a "crispy" look to the fine details ... foliage etc. This might actually be your downsizing software ... They are less noticeable, by the way, than the same kinds of shots in the first batch where a small amount of sharpening just aggravated the issue.

I would suggest changing your downsizing software and see if that helps.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads