The answer to birds in flight with the Oly EM5

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions
Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?
The answer to birds in flight with the Oly EM5
Jul 26, 2012

choose very big birds

had a a ball watching a pair of pelicans at the boat ramp waiting for fishing boats to return to the ramp, they perched on the lamp post waiting until they saw the boats approach then would fly down and try to cadge a feed

over half an hour I got about a hundred or so pics , I posted 16 on flickr today.

Not quite as difficult as swallows in flight but fun nevertheless

another trick is to find birds that hover , technically still in flight but a lot easier also

not winning any awards but having lots of fun with the Oly

regards and sorry I have not got the definitive answer

Ron

http://www.redbubble.com/people/AlenkaCo2
also
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron-alenka/

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlenkaCo

Ron Co

Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,774Gear list
Like?
Re: The answer to birds in flight with the Oly EM5
In reply to Ron Co, Jul 26, 2012

Well done! They look great! What lens did you use?
--
Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,452
Like?

Nicely done, Ron. Maybe a bit oversharpened? Lens?

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Ron Co
Like?
reply Maria and gollywop
In reply to Marla, Jul 26, 2012

Hi Maria and gollywop

Marla wrote:

Well done! They look great! What lens did you use?
--
Maria

I used the Oly 75-300 I currently only have two Oly lenses that and the 12-50 but with adapters a few more could be used.

if I was a masochist (Novoflex 400 and 640 , Sony mirror 500mm and the Samyang 8 mm fisheye all Sony alpha mount) The quality I got from the long lenses has convinced me it is not worth the effort

Some tests I did make me think I should be shooting RAW also but turning out as many pics as I do it is a big task while using a two year old laptop so I stick to jpeg for now, when i get back on the desktop with a bit of power I may try RAW

I cannot resist using the teleconverter option also which I know degrades a bit but I still think is better than cropping when in jpeg

thanks for looking
Ron
--
also

Ron Co

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,904
Like?

Not very big birds, but it worked. E-M5/75-300.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

Jeff.

Ron Co
Like?
and Jeff
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Jul 26, 2012

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Not very big birds, but it worked. E-M5/75-300.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

and a nice nickel it is Jeff, were they hovering in some or in motion ?Obviously the one with the fish is in motion, I find against the clear sky is the trickiest for auto focus it will throw out and by the time i locate the blur that was the bird it is too late quite often .

For example the one with the fish is pointing down (kind of ) and I could lock on that faster than those pointing up, do you experience this problem or have you got a workaround?

always looking for tips

regards
Ron

Jeff.

Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,297Gear list
Like?

good work there Ron, what AF settings were you using?

I haven't yet got my 75-300 working as well as this with BIF but have been experimenting with my canon 70-300 LIS on the EM5 via a Kipon adapter. Its a bit of a lump but shows promise (although I need to refresh my manual zoom and focus technique )

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
reflected_light
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
Re: and Jeff

Some folks "over-sharpened" is a result of their never seeing a "picture" that comes close to reality. In truth, reality is far sharper than any picture we're able to take.

If over-sharpened means trying to make blurry into sharp, then one should throw the picture in the trashcan. But if you can yank the detail out of the shot because the camera, lens, technique and light allowed it. Then it is really best to be thankful that that combination allowed you to see what is really there...and take control of the light to best advantage.

Great shots....hard to do...

Here's one of many that I am able to create whenever I want, if the light is right, by just pointing and shooting and expanding the balance of light. They just sit there and pose...

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to reflected_light, Jul 26, 2012

reflected_light wrote:

Some folks "over-sharpened" is a result of their never seeing a "picture" that comes close to reality. In truth, reality is far sharper than any picture we're able to take.

Really?

But if you can yank the detail out of the shot because the camera, lens, technique and light allowed it. Then it is really best to be thankful that that combination allowed you to see what is really there...and take control of the light to best advantage.

Yeah, see what is really there, not an over-sharpened version of it.

Sigh.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
Mel C
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?

Great job Ron. I am not getting as good a results as you are. Well done.

ric

Mel C's gear list:Mel C's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S
Ron Co
Like?
reply Brian Wadie
In reply to Brian Wadie, Jul 26, 2012

Brian Wadie wrote:

good work there Ron, what AF settings were you using?

Hi Brian

I think I have tried every combination known to man or camera , on this occasion i think i was using S-AF with manual override , at one time i found isolating the focus action to a function button was effective but it takes some practice and patience to get the habit of using it that way

My current method is to try to focus on a large subject approx the same distance as the target then find it (bird) in the viewfinder while keeping the finger OFF the shutter release until it is centred otherwise it hunts off into total blur and makes life/tracking very difficult

I haven't yet got my 75-300 working as well as this with BIF but have been experimenting with my canon 70-300 LIS on the EM5 via a Kipon adapter. Its a bit of a lump but shows promise (although I need to refresh my manual zoom and focus technique )

I was messing around with manual focus and my Sony 500mm mirror lens this afternoon , now that is a challenge with moving subjects LOL

I find birds isolated in the sky hardest to lock onto, if they are near the ground or sea I seem to have more success

good luck
Ron
--
also

Ron Co

Ron Co
Like?
reply reflected light

Not buying into the sharpening debate

Just wanted to say I liked your pelicans but it is hard to believe they are the same variety as our Australian birds , the colouring is so vastly different for such similar birds , love to know why each evolved the way it did , most things have a reason/purpose in nature

What is the gull like bird with the black head you have on your web site (birdies) ?

like your work
Ron

Ron Co
Like?
thanks mel C
In reply to Mel C, Jul 26, 2012

thanks Mel

time , patience and lot of practice and I can still mess it up on a regular basis

stick with it
regards

Ron

Mel C wrote:

Great job Ron. I am not getting as good a results as you are. Well done.

ric

reflected_light
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, Jul 26, 2012

The Jacal wrote:

reflected_light wrote:

Really?

But if you can yank the detail out of the shot because the camera, lens, technique and light allowed it. Then it is really best to be thankful that that combination allowed you to see what is really there...and take control of the light to best advantage.

Yeah, see what is really there, not an over-sharpened version of it.

Sigh.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

hmmm....

Are you sure you always see what is really there? Are you sure? Always?

Ever go somewhere, somewhere you've been many times, and then this one time, for whatever reason, something else is revealed to you? Someone who is there with you makes comment about something, anything, that can only be seen and experienced if you are in that place. You look beyond what has been your perception of this place, through someone else's eyes...through your now redirected eyes...and you see it too. A diifferent view, a different perspective has been given to you and you see more. Was it there all along? Most likely, we just missed it. Didn't look close enough. Didn't have the added advantage of another view. And maybe we now look a little closer at everything we see.

Our focus has been improved, our sight is now more tuned in to what is all around us. We see our world through sharper eyes. We look beyond the surface and take in the whole...we try to not miss any of the small, less obvious parts of such.

How can any view of the our world be too sharp, be it live or a replication?

No one should limit someone else's desire to look at this world, and all within it. Tell them they have "over-sharpened" their representation of what they have seen and how they have recorded it to share with the rest of us. We just might miss something that is there, that would have been seen, but becomes muddled and hidden from view by this less than could be image.

"Over sharpened", to me, is when one attempts to take an already blurred image, their record of that moment, and digs too deep into the data gathered in an attempt to find more, but in doing so hides and/or destroys whatever this memory actually does contain. They just try to make do. To find what is not really there.

They should re-visit, look closer with more focused eyes. Do everything they can to not limit the data they gather this time. Be very careful they use the right light, the light that is given at this next moment to see with sharper eyes, sharper vision. See the whole and all it's parts.

Let nothing escape them. Not miss any that can be seen, if we just look close enough. Record this 1/... of time. This tiny moment. This blink of of an eye. And then, with this refined view, sharpen it with now more information to work with...and present it for all to see. We'll all see more now, if we also look close enough. We now have been given a view that we might not have had before, seen through someone else's eye.

The light that reflected back to the eye and camera at that moment has given us unique vision. A memory of one is now a memory for all to see. Shared with all of us, if we choose to accept it. To take a moment in our life to add this memory from another's.

And that could never be quite sharp enough for me...the closer I look, the more I see. And as I dig deeper, in an attempt to gather all, to see all and miss nothing, brings new discovery of something unseen before.

This search for what is really there, no matter how big or how small, becomes the real reward for my efforts. To look closer is to learn. To stop looking and just accepting what think is there will always be just shy of reality.

You can't look too close. Your vision can't be quite sharp enough to see it all.

Over-sharpened does not exist...unless one is trying to find something in their image that they failed or could not record at it's creation. Seek and you shall find... It's there, you just have to look close enough.

r-l-p

http://www.reflected-light.com
http://www.pbase.com/reflectedlight
http://www.facebook/reflectedlightphotography

reflected_light
Like?
Re: reply reflected light

Ron Co wrote:

Not buying into the sharpening debate

Just wanted to say I liked your pelicans but it is hard to believe they are the same variety as our Australian birds , the colouring is so vastly different for such similar birds , love to know why each evolved the way it did , most things have a reason/purpose in nature

What is the gull like bird with the black head you have on your web site (birdies) ?

like your work
Ron

Thank you, Ron. That is what is most valuable to me. Why I get so much joy from photography. To share what I have seen with others. What has been laid out before me is only for me to see, my unique vision. He gives that to us all. And mankind has used a myriad of methods to share their vision(s) of their world, our world, his world, with the rest of us.

I hope my images elicit enjoyment. But if not, then they are still of value to me, because even if viewed with disdain or as unreal, I hope they offer a view of this incredible world we live in that we might not see.

I don't think any one of us will ever be able to see all the different varieties of any one creature we share our world with. As much as we might try to find the end of that search, the more we find that we have not seen before. Not been made aware of. And it's the journey to find some closure that gives the most joy to me.

The more I search, the more I find. I have been overwhelmed by this of late. It was there all along, I have just not been looking close enough or not seeing with focused enough vision before.

Just like us humans, the variety of each species and sub-species is infinite in their differences, if you look close enough, beyond what might be seen with a cursory glance. There is only one of anything. No two things are exactly the same. You just have to look very closely sometimes to see the variety.

The bird you asked about is a variety of seagull, one of many varieties here along the Gulf Coast of America.

I have to stop shooting for awhile to better organize my pbase site, pp hundreds of shots already taken and dump the crap. The Reflected-Light site is now my main focus, as any image created can be better shared with others, with the help of Smugmug. They can choose what inspires them (or not if it doesn't) and add such to their lives. That's why I do what I do. That's what he wants me to do.

Thank you so much, sir, for expressing kind words regarding my images. It's really His creations that you see. I'm just the guy who has the camera in his hands to make record of them.

I hope I can do justice to any view He presents before me. I know He presents these opportunities to all of us. We just have to strive to not miss any moment he continually sets before us. I know that no matter how hard I try to miss nothing, I will always come short of seeing it all. But He sharpens my vision with each moment in time that comes next. I just hope I never stop searching for what lies beyond what I see. But I know that if I really listen, I'll find that He will never stop showing me the true wonder of it all.

My best to all...but, I must apologize for my images not ever being quite good enough...now matter how hard I might try.

reflected_light
Like?
Re: reply reflected light

Sorry if my philosophical and/or religious outlook and approach offends...

It's who and what I am, and why and how I approach whatever I do.

It's me. The least important piece in the ultimate puzzle.

Brian Wadie
Like?
Re: reply Brian Wadie

thanks for sharing that Ron, funnily enough I had another go this evening and ended up at more or less the same place but using MF on the 75-300 not SAF + MF as I too found it jumped all over the place in the latter mode.

I was pushing my luck really as I was trying to shoot House Martins darting about the sky, only managed about a 10% hit rate!

I need to resolve this fairly quickly as I have had a good offer on my 5Dmk2 + some other canon bits and need to decide by Monday. I think I'm going to have a busy week-end

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
JaFO
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

You could attach them to a wire so they don't fly that far ...

Even newbies like me can shoot big birds with the kit lens (and luck instead of skill ;)).

-- hide signature --

-- Hardware will break / Software is broken --

JaFO's gear list:JaFO's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Brian Wadie
Like?
First go with MF using 75-300

thanksfor the ideas Ron, here are this evening's first try using a modification of your technique ie: pre-focus at approximate distance then as the bird enters the EFV manual focus down whilst tracking the movement (IS 1 used in this case)

Distant birds mean the images are full size crops with no resizing for posting. (Not good photos in any way but just a record of first trial of a new technique for BIF shooting)

Clearly more practise is needed but I think it will work for me

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,024Gear list
Like?
Here some of me with the Gh2

Nice shots. So why the noise in the third one (or fourth one?). Said, because it is a very nice shot!

I use spot focussing and get goodresults. Not too much misses. But things go wrong if you set it to autobracketing...Some good shots a bit ruined by -2 eV (or more)

When it comes to keepers, the rate is 50-70% I guess but it is my experience that spoils it. I have the 100-300 since last saturdag (5 days). I am VERY happy with it.

And no doubt: Nikon 1 and DSLRs are better here, but wildlife etc is good enough to me. And I will get better I think.

Underexposed by me (autobracketing instead of burstmode):

Underexposed by me (autobracketing instead of burstmode):

With the 45-200 mm:

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads