GP-E2 and 7d

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions
stevendm
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
GP-E2 and 7d
Jul 25, 2012

I understand that the upcoming firmware v2 will allow the 7d to use the GP-E2 gps unit. That is great news. I also understand that the data connection between the gps and the camera will be via a usb cable, not the hotshoe. The usb connection is underneath the rubber cover on the side of the camera. How do you make this connection look finished without the rubber door flapping in the wind? Is there a replacement rubber door that has a hole for the usb connection?

TIA

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,981Gear list
Like?
Several features are disabled when used with the 7D
In reply to stevendm, Jul 26, 2012

stevendm wrote:

I understand that the upcoming firmware v2 will allow the 7d to use the GP-E2 gps unit. That is great news. I also understand that the data connection between the gps and the camera will be via a usb cable, not the hotshoe. The usb connection is underneath the rubber cover on the side of the camera. How do you make this connection look finished without the rubber door flapping in the wind? Is there a replacement rubber door that has a hole for the usb connection?

TIA

I was interested in the GP-E2 myself until finding out how many features were disabled when using the 7D. Add the USB cable dangling from the USB port on the camera and for me it's just not worth it. If they could get it to work via the camera's hotshoe I'd be on it like ugly on an ape.

 MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hakan_wikstrom
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Re: Several features are disabled when used with the 7D
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Jul 26, 2012

I too was interested in getting it for trekking around in the countryside. However, a simple app on any smartphone will let you track your movements and then you can sync up the track to geotag your files when you have imported your photos to your PC.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Recommended apps?
In reply to hakan_wikstrom, Jul 26, 2012

What app do you recommend to geotag? I'm about to upgrade to my first smartphone at Virgin - an LG Optimus Elite. Willing to admit I'm a little slow at all these apps you can do w/one. Am also curious about wildlife apps(birding).
Any suggestions greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevendm
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Re: Recommended apps?
In reply to katman68, Jul 26, 2012

I use geosetter. It is free and works quite well.

Lightroom 4 also has this capability built in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hakan_wikstrom
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Here is a good start
In reply to katman68, Jul 27, 2012

Read this page: http://canondigitalcam.com/news/how-to-geotag-your-photos-with-an-android-device.html

There are tons of articles online on this topic. Search for "android canon geotagging" (without the quotes) for android apps, iPhone related information is abundant too.

I use Lightroom 4, which makes geotagging very easy. You can find a good instructional video on the geotagging workflow here: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-photographers/how-to-use-gpx-logs-to-geotag-your-photos-with-lightroom-4/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Re: Here is a good start
In reply to hakan_wikstrom, Jul 27, 2012

Thanks so much for the suggestions, and the very helpful link!

I have some further questions(stupid as they may be)...

What if you're in an area without cell or internet service for sometimes days at a time(like Madagascar again!)? (I'm assuming a smartphone needs neither to do GPS)

In such cases is the correct way to get the phone's GPS data in my photo's exif on the laptop by using a SD card in phone then w/card reader move the GPS data over?(I'm pretty sure the LG Optimus Elite I'm planning to get has a SD slot)

And are these GPS files small or is space an issue requiring frequent offload, or is it possible to go many days not doing so. I imagine unless you have a portable power source, in some cases conserving the phone's battery is an issue in remote areas(in other words turn it off when there's no shooting).

I did notice there are several GPS software options on Google Play(some free) - is there general consensus which ones work better & pro photographers prefer?

Thanks again,
Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hakan_wikstrom
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Re: Here is a good start
In reply to katman68, Jul 27, 2012

I assume the track files (.gpx files, most likely) will be stored on the SD card in the case of Android devices. These you should be able to copy from the phone, but I do not believe you need a card reader to do so - the usual USB power/data cable used for charging and accessing the phone from a computer should do. Perhaps even Bluetooth transfers would work? I don't know, I haven't had to try since the mailing functions used in most GPS tracking apps works so well.

Using the GPS on mobile phones, both Android and Apple, drains the battery at an alarming rate. If you are going to go to a remote location I would seriously look into getting a cheap GPS "puck" that only tracks your moves in order to avoid rendering your phone unusable in the wilderness. Strap it to your backpack and forget about it during the day, until the night when you can recharge it and retrieve the data.

A quick Google search turned up this site, which has an abundance of GPS tracking devices. Even if Canada might not be on your doorstep, it may be a good starting point for seeing what options there are. http://www.canadagps.com/loggerMain.html

As for the different app options for mobile phones, Google it. I don't even remember the name of the free app I used for my Android phone.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Re: Here is a good start
In reply to hakan_wikstrom, Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for these great suggestions....

Bluetooth I didn't even think of -duh- surely can be utilized w/my Macbook Pro to transfer gps data from a smartphone.

At present time it seems high battery use is a theme w/GPS devices. One of the ways I think may help this in remote areas is a solar field charger of some sort.

But, alot of the time am thinking merely turning a device(smartphone etc) on briefly for a waypoint like when entering a reserve/specific mountain etc could be sufficient(my final question being can all images from that location be marked w/that waypoint?)

From my searches, the AMOD 3080 seems one of the best options for a standalone GPS tagger. Highly rated it readily works both PC/Mac, has lower battery use and runs on 3 "AAA" batteries(which means worst case a solar charger etc could be used). So you don't have to be as reluctant to leave it on. Another nice feature is it's not prone to becoming obsolete - no drivers etc req'd & is simply recognized as a USB drive to transfer files from.

The BluMax 4044 is another possible option, though in my limited research the AMOD seems the better choice.

I imagine after playing with the GPS functions/apps on my phone a bit I can better make a decision whether a separate GPS logger is more efficient. Thanks again...

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eadward
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: Here is a good start
In reply to katman68, Jul 28, 2012

I use a fairly cheap Garmin GPS (an eTrex HCX legend) which I got for about $125 and then sync up using geosetter. I also use lightroom 4 and that has some gps features. I was excited about the additiion of gps features to 7D but this new Canon solution seems dubious. For me I'd be all over a 7D II w/ built in GPS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,789
Like?
Re: Several features are disabled when used with the 7D
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Jul 28, 2012

MisterPootieCat wrote:

stevendm wrote:

I understand that the upcoming firmware v2 will allow the 7d to use the GP-E2 gps unit. That is great news. I also understand that the data connection between the gps and the camera will be via a usb cable, not the hotshoe. The usb connection is underneath the rubber cover on the side of the camera. How do you make this connection look finished without the rubber door flapping in the wind? Is there a replacement rubber door that has a hole for the usb connection?

TIA

I was interested in the GP-E2 myself until finding out how many features were disabled when using the 7D. Add the USB cable dangling from the USB port on the camera and for me it's just not worth it. If they could get it to work via the camera's hotshoe I'd be on it like ugly on an ape.

What features are disabled? Flash of course. Anything else?
--
Brian Schneider
http://www.pbase.com/klatuu/shooting&page=3

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Several features are disabled when used with the 7D
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Jul 28, 2012

Brian D. Schneider wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

stevendm wrote:

I understand that the upcoming firmware v2 will allow the 7d to use the GP-E2 gps unit. That is great news. I also understand that the data connection between the gps and the camera will be via a usb cable, not the hotshoe. The usb connection is underneath the rubber cover on the side of the camera. How do you make this connection look finished without the rubber door flapping in the wind? Is there a replacement rubber door that has a hole for the usb connection?

TIA

I was interested in the GP-E2 myself until finding out how many features were disabled when using the 7D. Add the USB cable dangling from the USB port on the camera and for me it's just not worth it. If they could get it to work via the camera's hotshoe I'd be on it like ugly on an ape.

What features are disabled? Flash of course. Anything else?
--
Brian Schneider
http://www.pbase.com/klatuu/shooting&page=3

From the Canon site: "When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply: a) geotagging function will not work for movies while recording; b) geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility; c) electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available; d) transmission via the hot shoe is not possible."

Also: "The GP-E2 offers the same level of dust- and weather- resistance as the EOS 5D Mark III when connected to the camera's hot shoe. Dust- and weather-resistance decreases when it is connected to the camera via the USB cable."

From: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/gps_receivers/gps_receiver_gp_e2#Overview
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads