F800EXR? Not an upgrade, more of a sidestep . . .

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
F800EXR? Not an upgrade, more of a sidestep . . .
Jul 25, 2012

And according to Fuji's press release (posted as a DPR News item), it swaps the F770's GPS for the F800's wi-fi and a 'Fujifilm Photo Reciever' (sic) app. for "WiFi Wireless Image Transfer for Android and iOS mobile devices", keeping the same 25-500mm lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/25/Fujifilm-announces-F800EXR

ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
Re: F800EXR? Not an upgrade, more of a sidestep . . .
In reply to Billx08, Jul 25, 2012

It's like the same as the F550.
Repackage and market.

F Series is dead, as Fujifilm moves all the goodies to the X Series to milk your money.

Billx08 wrote:

And according to Fuji's press release (posted as a DPR News item), it swaps the F770's GPS for the F800's wi-fi and a 'Fujifilm Photo Reciever' (sic) app. for "WiFi Wireless Image Transfer for Android and iOS mobile devices", keeping the same 25-500mm lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/25/Fujifilm-announces-F800EXR

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to ConanFuji, Jul 25, 2012

ConanFuji wrote:

It's like the same as the F550.
Repackage and market.

F Series is dead, as Fujifilm moves all the goodies to the X Series to milk your money.

I'd take the F series over the X series any day of the week ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,313Gear list
Like?

Billx08 wrote:

I had noticed that it was the F770 with added wifi ... but I had not noticed that GPS was also missing. That makes the two cameras peers ... choose one or the other, but you cannot have both features. Makes sense in a way, as there cannot be much room inside the case for more devices.

So the 800 is to the 750/770 as the 600 was to the 550. Sidegrade at best ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

This is as uninteresting an update from Fujifilm as I can imagine. Loading in more fluff into their cameras. Hard to believe that the F series used to be for enthusiasts. The only good thing about this camera is that it should drive down the price of the F770EXR, which seems to be halfway decent for those who need zoom.

Maybe more announcements this week from Fujifilm?

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Billx08
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jul 25, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Billx08 wrote:

I had noticed that it was the F770 with added wifi ... but I had not noticed that GPS was also missing. That makes the two cameras peers ... choose one or the other, but you cannot have both features. Makes sense in a way, as there cannot be much room inside the case for more devices.

So the 800 is to the 750/770 as the 600 was to the 550. Sidegrade at best ...

It may be more popular than the F770 because GPS doesn't seem to be a hot feature for Fuji. I don't have an iPhone or an Android phone, but I think that their popularity will make the F800 more attractive unless Fuji's programmers blow it with the Wireless Image Transfer app. Fuji couldn't possibly be do anything as stupid as Nikon did with its support for the My Picturetown destination and nothing else. Or could they?

Billx08
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jul 25, 2012

rattymouse wrote:

This is as uninteresting an update from Fujifilm as I can imagine. Loading in more fluff into their cameras. Hard to believe that the F series used to be for enthusiasts. The only good thing about this camera is that it should drive down the price of the F770EXR, which seems to be halfway decent for those who need zoom.

Look for Hello Kitty (ハローキティ, Harō Kiti?) scene modes and chances to win a Fujifilm Instax camera (purchases not required).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Kitty

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Billx08 wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Look for Hello Kitty (ハローキティ, Harō Kiti?) scene modes and chances to win a Fujifilm Instax camera (purchases not required).

Funny you should mention that. I want to buy an Fujifilm Instax 210. I went out shopping for one of these and ALL i can find in the stores is the Hello Kitty model! The cost is higher for that AND it looks absolutely stupid. I asked the guy at the Fujifilm store and he said now only the Hello Kitty model is for sale.

Talk about limiting your customers.

Another brilliant move by Fujifilm.

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?

This gives them a chance to fix the dodgy metering, which would make it a better camera.
--

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Jul 25, 2012

Wellington100 wrote:

This gives them a chance to fix the dodgy metering, which would make it a better camera.

LOL! You are such an optimist! With every new model Fujifilm manages to muff something up. So if they fix the metering, something else will go wrong.

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Billx08
Like?

rattymouse wrote:
. . .

Funny you should mention that. I want to buy an Fujifilm Instax 210. I went out shopping for one of these and ALL i can find in the stores is the Hello Kitty model! The cost is higher for that AND it looks absolutely stupid. I asked the guy at the Fujifilm store and he said now only the Hello Kitty model is for sale.

Talk about limiting your customers.

Another brilliant move by Fujifilm.

B&H on the other hand only has a black Instax 210, but plenty of non-Fuji Hello Kitties, including a Hello Kitty Mouse!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860740-REG/Hello_Kitty_81809_USB_Mouse.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657176-REG/Fujifilm_15950793_Instax_210_Instant_Film.html

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207
Like?

Billx08 wrote:

Wi-Fi is far more useful than GPS.

It's funny I was thinking just yesterday I wonder how I can get my images from my X-S1 onto my N7000 as it has 64GB of storage doing nothing. I've decided on a Micro USB - USB adapter so I can plug in my card reader. Wi-Fi or Blue-tooth would be so much easier.

As for the F800, if it performs remotely like the F770 then it's another disaster for FujiFilm.

Paul

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jul 25, 2012

PAUL TILL wrote:

As for the F800, if it performs remotely like the F770 then it's another disaster for FujiFilm.

Paul

Maybe the F800 will have new, improved droopage.

J_Carter
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

GPS could be very useful for some people - if it actually worked decently.

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207
Like?
In reply to J_Carter, Jul 25, 2012

J_Carter wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

Maybe if you have Alzheimer's, I can't understand how anyone can't remember where they took a picture from.

Paul.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

J_Carter wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

Maybe if you have Alzheimer's, I can't understand how anyone can't remember where they took a picture from.

Paul.

Not everyone is like you and lives their entire life within a 2 mile radius. Other people, more adventurous, travel quite a lot.

I have a very good memory but for the life of me sometimes I look at images and wonder which village in rural China or Thailand, or Malaysia I snapped a certain image.

No wonder you can't understand. Probably the most common phrase in your vocabulary.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Seems a bit pointless doesn't it..

If that's all the changed wi fi for GPS then wow big whoopee!

I'm not keen on Fuji's throw lots of models out there with minor differences.

How about that F200 update we've all been waiting for bit less zoom, bigger sensor and hey I might actually buy it.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Seems a bit pointless doesn't it..
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jul 25, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

How about that F200 update we've all been waiting for bit less zoom, bigger sensor and hey I might actually buy it.

It's called the X10.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?

rattymouse wrote:

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

It's called the X10.

Yes and it's called "if you get a decent one"

I'm not into lottery cameras so I'm passing on the X10 and will await the X20 to iron the kinks out.

There is still and F200 gap think a more affordable X10

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jul 25, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

It's called the X10.

Yes and it's called "if you get a decent one"

Fuji's recall ends in a bit over a month so after then they'll all be good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads