what is the "focus hold" button on the A77?

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
what is the "focus hold" button on the A77?
Jul 25, 2012

In the menus for the A77, on page 3 of the "gear" tab, there is an option for the behavior of the "focus hold" button. The user manual is (typically) useless on this topic. The focus hold button is not identified on the pages at the front of the manual that explain every other button and I can't find anything else about it.

I searched the forum and found only one thread, which talks about a focus hold button the 70-200 f/2.8 G lens. But I'm talking about the "focus hold" option found in the A77 menu for every camera. I've got it and I don't own the 70-200.

Anybody know?

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,696Gear list
Like?
Re: what is the "focus hold" button on the A77?
In reply to William Porter, Jul 25, 2012

When you set your focus and then press the button set to focus hold the focus will lock. Same as when you hold the shutter half down prior to taking a pic.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fanboy6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,431
Like?

From Freidman's book on the A77, I believe this setting allows you to define how the button being depressed on lenses will act. The default is to "turn off the focusing motor within the lens". Some people seem to think this is a necessity, in attempting to keep the lens from hunting in low light, but I find that good technique is the real issue. As Freidmann writes, "Recommended setting: [I never use those buttons]". Ditto.

William Porter
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Jul 25, 2012

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

When you set your focus and then press the button set to focus hold, the focus will lock. Same as when you hold the shutter half down prior to taking a pic.

Jimmy,

WHERE is the button that you can set to "focus hold"? In other words, where is the focus hold button? That's my question.

A button with this name is mentioned on p 66 of the A77 user manual and the manual simply repeats what you can see in the menu of the camera itself, that this button has two options: focus hold and something mysteriously called "aperture preview."

But WHERE is this button?

Will

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
fanboy6
Like?

William Porter wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

When you set your focus and then press the button set to focus hold, the focus will lock. Same as when you hold the shutter half down prior to taking a pic.

Jimmy,

WHERE is the button that you can set to "focus hold"? In other words, where is the focus hold button? That's my question.

A button with this name is mentioned on p 66 of the A77 user manual and the manual simply repeats what you can see in the menu of the camera itself, that this button has two options: focus hold and something mysteriously called "aperture preview."

Will

Will,

I could be wrong, but I think it does not exist in physical form. I think this menu setting defines how the button works on lenses that come with one.

Take care,

Doug

woonwoon1
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?

If A100 is Any indication. That would be the DOF preview button in the front.

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?

William Porter wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Jimmy,

Will

Front of the camera, under the lens, opposite side from the focus more selector. Toward the bottom, between the lens mount and the grip. If you're holding the camera with your right hand and the lens with your left, it should fall right underneath your left middle finger (assuming a shortish lens).

You have to hold it continuously for it to work.

At least I think that's the one the manual thinks if a focus hold button. Mine does DOF preview, but I'm sure that's a menu option I selected, and I think it's default was focus hold.

fanboy6
Like?
In reply to cplunk, Jul 25, 2012

cplunk wrote:

William Porter wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Jimmy,

Will

Front of the camera, under the lens, opposite side from the focus more selector. Toward the bottom, between the lens mount and the grip. If you're holding the camera with your right hand and the lens with your left, it should fall right underneath your left middle finger (assuming a shortish lens).

You have to hold it continuously for it to work.

At least I think that's the one the manual thinks if a focus hold button. Mine does DOF preview, but I'm sure that's a menu option I selected, and I think it's default was focus hold.

Nope, that would be the "Preview" button:

A preview button on the front of the A77 on the lens throat can act either as a conventional depth-of-field preview, by stopping down the lens to the taking aperture, or as a 'shot preview' which captures a preview image at your current exposure settings (allowing you to preview the effect of shutter speed).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/4

Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?

In the a57 menu there is also a function of "focus hold" In the hand book of Sony, it mentioned as "Sets the function of the focus hold button of the lens.

(Focus Hold/D.O.F.Preview)"/ After searching for some time, I think the focus hold button shld be on the Lens. And none of my lens have this button.

Just do a google search I found this :

http://www.sony-mea.com/microsite/dslr/09/standardLens/technology/technology_01.html#fh_button

Cheers

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Jul 25, 2012

Photoviewer wrote:

In the a57 menu there is also a function of "focus hold" In the hand book of Sony, it mentioned as "Sets the function of the focus hold button of the lens.

(Focus Hold/D.O.F.Preview)"/ After searching for some time, I think the focus hold button shld be on the Lens. And none of my lens have this button.

Just do a google search I found this :

http://www.sony-mea.com/microsite/dslr/09/standardLens/technology/technology_01.html#fh_button

Cheers

Yes, this is my understanding too. The "focus hold"-bottom is found on some lenses.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?

I am 99% sure that the "Focus Hold Button" is on many (but not all, and mostly heavier) Sony lenses. The function assigned to these buttons (some lenses have more than one, so that a button falls naturally under the left thumb in different orientations of the camera) is one of two functions in the camera set-up menu. The two functions are:

• Stop focussing, and

• DoF preview (set the aperture blades to the aperture that will be used when the shutter is pressed)

I have set all my cameras to "DoF preview". Unlike Gary Friedman, I use this function regularly to preview DoF. I have never used the "stop focussing" function.

If the lens attached to the camera does not have a Focus Hold Button, the setting has no effect and either of the two possible functions must be effected by other means.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,400Gear list
Like?
Focus hold

Various high end Sony lenses (70-200G, 70-300G, 70-400G, CZ 24-70, etc.) have one or more focus hold buttons on the lens.

The purpose is to allow you to temporarily suspend AF operation in continuous shooting mode. Say, for example, you are shooting a baseball game in C mode and you have a baserunner at 1st base. Anticipating a pickoff move you focus on 1st base, hold down the focus hold button, and when the pickoff attempt comes you fire off a series of shots. If you didn't have focus hold set, and your field of view was wide enough to have both the baserunner and first baseman in it, your shots would have been focused on the grass behind the players. [Assuming, of course, center spot or zone AF.] Unlike Gary Friedman I use these buttons frequently.

If you don't have the buttons on your lens you can accomplish the same thing by holding down the AF/MF button. This is awkward to say the least, but you can set the button to toggle - press the button once to disable AF, press it again to enable AF.

[You can also disable autofocusing with the shutter button, set the camera to MF mode, and then press the AF/MF button to focus. This is handy for tripod use when you want to keep the focus locked.]

William Porter wrote:

In the menus for the A77, on page 3 of the "gear" tab, there is an option for the behavior of the "focus hold" button. The user manual is (typically) useless on this topic. The focus hold button is not identified on the pages at the front of the manual that explain every other button and I can't find anything else about it.

I searched the forum and found only one thread, which talks about a focus hold button the 70-200 f/2.8 G lens. But I'm talking about the "focus hold" option found in the A77 menu for every camera. I've got it and I don't own the 70-200.

Anybody know?

Will

-- hide signature --

Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,343Gear list
Like?

When holding the camera to take a shot, the focus hold button would be near the bottom and to the right of the lens mount on the camera body. You should be able to access it by extending one of your right hand fingers while holding the grip.

On my A55, this button is programmable to be used for Focus Hold (allows you to re-frame your shot without changing focus) or DOF Preview (allows you to check the DOF before taking the shot... since your viewfinder always shows the view as if the lens were wide open, so when using a lens with f/2.8 but having selected f/8 for your shot, you would be seeing DOF as it would be if the shot were being taken at f/2.8 but pressing the DOF preview will show you the DOF as will be recorded since you've selected f/8 instead). The ability to program that button between DOF Preview and Focus Hold may also apply to A77.

Additionally, you may come across some lenses that have focus hold buttons on them. My Minolta 200G has it and so do lenses like Sony 70-200G, 70-400G...

William Porter wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Jimmy,

Will

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,509Gear list
Like?
It's the button on some lenses, not the DOF preview button.

This has been discussed before on this forum. The wording in the manual is unclear, which, I believe, they fixed in later manuals.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
William Porter
Like?
In reply to fanboy6, Jul 25, 2012

fanboy6 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think it does not exist in physical form. I think this menu setting defines how the button works on lenses that come with one.

Doug,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

How hard would it have been to SAY THIS in the user manual? Seriously, if anybody with Sony can reach the people in charge, I'll rewrite the A99 manual in return for a camera. You can get to my website to contact me and I'll send you my writing resume.

Will

William Porter
Like?

cplunk wrote:

Front of the camera, under the lens, opposite side from the focus more selector.

Nope.

That's called the Preview button. See the user manual, p 66 (where Preview button and Focus Hold button are distinguished) and p 19 (where the button you're talking about is identified as the Preview button).

Will

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

William Porter wrote:

fanboy6 wrote:

Doug,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

How hard would it have been to SAY THIS in the user manual? Seriously, if anybody with Sony can reach the people in charge, I'll rewrite the A99 manual in return for a camera. You can get to my website to contact me and I'll send you my writing resume.

Will

The button is to the lower left side of the lens mount on the body (when you're looking directly at the camera... or on the same side as the grip). It is a small button that can be set for DOF Preview (I guess A77 manual calls it Aperture Preview) or for Focus Hold.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

William Porter wrote:

cplunk wrote:

Front of the camera, under the lens, opposite side from the focus more selector.

Nope.

That's called the Preview button. See the user manual, p 66 (where Preview button and Focus Hold button are distinguished) and p 19 (where the button you're talking about is identified as the Preview button).

Will

And that button can be set to be used as Focus Hold button (if you prefer). That is the option you get via the menu.

William Porter
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Jul 25, 2012

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

When holding the camera to take a shot, the focus hold button would be near the bottom and to the right of the lens mount on the camera body. You should be able to access it by extending one of your right hand fingers while holding the grip.

No. That is called the Preview button. See p 19 and p 66 of the A77 user manual and notice that the preview button and focus hold button are clearly distinct, and the one you're referring to is the preview button.

Looks like the focus hold button is on some lenses and not on the camera body at all.

Will

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

William Porter wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

No. That is called the Preview button. See p 19 and p 66 of the A77 user manual and notice that the preview button and focus hold button are clearly distinct, and the one you're referring to is the preview button.

Looks like the focus hold button is on some lenses and not on the camera body at all.

Will

That button can be used as DOF (or Aperture) Preview, or Focus Hold, depending on your menu selection.

Some lenses do have that button too, but the manual is strictly talking about the one on the camera body.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads