Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Cipher Senior Member • Posts: 2,600
Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.
1

I guess he just likes to generate controversy for traffic to his site? Has he never heard of the Olympus E-M5, Panny GH2, Sony NEX?

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-m/m.htm

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Oh no, an endorsement by Ken Rockwell. He is occasionally right about things, occasionally wrong, and occasionally the dumbest photographer on the planet.

 howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,575
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

An endorsement by KR may not be a good thing.

howardroark wrote:

Oh no, an endorsement by Ken Rockwell. He is occasionally right about things, occasionally wrong, and occasionally the dumbest photographer on the planet.

 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
philchan Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Honestly I think Ken pointed out exactly what the EOS-M is, can be and its
vast potential...

Give the man a chance, shall we?

phil

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell

Mike C Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

It is strange. But, we may need to cut him some slack. The GH1 and my current GX1 are fantastic and highly rated/reviewed cameras.

Hope to replace my finally auctioned LX5 with the new Canon. But, I want to see what is announced at Photokina.

-- hide signature --

Mike C
Denver, CO

 Mike C's gear list:Mike C's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,817
Ken Rockwell is a joke

First serious mirror less camera! LMAO!

The guy is good at generating clicks for his website though - props for that.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

 Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755
Re: Ken Rockwell is a joke

Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell

Ranlee Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Ken Rockwell is a joke

Ken Rockwell, Ken WockRell, Ken Cockwrell, Ren Kockwell ... Ok, so I'm tongue tied!
--
Randy

 Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755
Re: Ken Rockwell is a joke

Picture yourself as a KR Hater. Stand in front of a mirror, say the words "Ken Rockwell". Watch the veins in your forehead start to bulge. Say it again. See the sweat pouring down off your brow. Say it again, watch your veins start to burst. Say it again "KEN ROCKWELL" and watch your head explode. Fun being a KR Hater isn't it?

Ranlee wrote:

Ken Rockwell, Ken WockRell, Ken Cockwrell, Ren Kockwell ... Ok, so I'm tongue tied!
--
Randy

gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627
What was Ken Rockwel smaking?

I did not know what a serious mirrorless camera is, but thanks to mr Rockwell I know! I t is a camera with an APS sensor, and DSLR quality and professional grade.

And the Canon EOS-M is the first of them all accoording to the man who is the nearest to god of we all!

So I compare it to the Nex F3 and the Nex 5n (both cameras are roughly the same) let's see:

Announced:
Sony Nex 5n: 24 august 2011
Sony Nex F3: 17 may 2012
Canon EOS-m: 23 juli 2012

APS sensor?
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: YES
Canon EOS-m: YES

Resolution sensor:
Sony Nex 5n: 16 mega pixels
Sony Nex F3: 16 mega pixels
Canon EOS-m: 18 mega pixels

DSLR quality pictures?
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: YES
Canon EOS-m: YES

Lens choice:
Sony Nex 5n: 10 AF native lenses
Sony Nex F3: 10 AF native lenses
Canon EOS-m: 2 native lenses

Adapte autofocussing lenses:
Sony Nex 5n: All native lenses plus all A-mount lenses (fast real PDAF)
Sony Nex F3: All native lenses plus all A-mount lenses (fast real PDAF)
Canon EOS-m: both native lenses and All Canon EF lenses (Slower hybrid AF)

Metal frame:
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: NO
Canon EOS-m: YES

As all cameras can shoot RAW, can adapt legacy lenses etc, we can tell this:

All cameras can go for the label professional grade, but we forgot one important thing Price!
Lets compare price now:

We want roughly the same camera so we want a pancake prime, a kit zoom and a flash with our body here are the prices:
Nex 5n: $ 699(body with kit zoom) + $279 (16 mm pancake) total $ 978,--
Nex F3: $ 598 (body with kit zoom) + $279 (16 mm pancake) total $ 897.--

EOS-M: $ 799 (body with 22mm pancake) + $300 (kit zoom)+ $150 (small flash) total of $1249,--

Yes that is a professional grade price for a camera! Even when its battery life is a joke, uses touch screen for everything and is aimed at P&S upgraderrs...

dennis mol New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Ken Rockwell is a joke

He might draw clicks with this kind of across the bow shot but he blows his credibility giving nothing in support just garbage. 'Where's the beef Ken?'
In the world of mirrorless others are trying, Canon is just passing.

Rehabdoc Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Re: Ken Rockwell is a joke

dennis mol wrote:

He might draw clicks with this kind of across the bow shot but he blows his credibility giving nothing in support just garbage. 'Where's the beef Ken?'
In the world of mirrorless others are trying, Canon is just passing.

Seriously, Ken is just trolling for traffic.

This is his entire "compare to section" to address Sony and Samsung and MFT:

By "serious," I mean professional grade. Sony, Samsung, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and other third-tier brands offer lots of mirrorless cameras, but then aren't pro grade; they are just consumer electronics products and usually only with smaller 4/3 sensors (or smaller) and/or lens mounts often with few advanced lenses available. (First tier is LEICA, classic Hasselblad, Contax and others. Second tier is Nikon and Canon.)

Then he proceeds to address the Nikon 1 system as the primary competitor to the EOS-M.

Seriously...

I am sure the EF-M system will eventually be impressive, when they put out better bodies, but EOS-M camera body itself is nothing to write home about.

-

And I'm not clear on branding for the new mirrorless line. The first camera is EOS-M, but they haven't branded the overall line with a name at all. They going to brand this EOS M1, M2, M3 for the beginner line, and EOS M10, M20, etc. for the higher end models with the EVF etc.?

nicoboston Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

I like:
"Startup time is rated as 1.6 seconds (1,600 milliseconds)."

WTF? Why converting s to ms? Just in case we cannot multiply by 1,000?

Anyaway, "reviews" are just BS at this stage. And DPR generates much more traffic than Rockwell with no more information... All these "previews" are jokes aiming at generating traffic.

Shorthand Senior Member • Posts: 2,972
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Ken likes to stir up controversy ... its good for his traffic.

However, its quite hard to argue that the NEX-5N and NEX-7 aren't pro-grade mirrorless cameras ... Sony has a pretty complete SLR lens lineup as well.

 Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D +9 more
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,511
Re: What was Ken Rockwel smaking?

Good comparison, but there's more...

The NEX cameras also have great features like tilt screens, built-in/included flash, and all the really cool Sony processing (i.e. panorama).

More features for less money.

And for those who really want a premium body, there's the NEX 7.

gfrensen wrote:

I did not know what a serious mirrorless camera is, but thanks to mr Rockwell I know! I t is a camera with an APS sensor, and DSLR quality and professional grade.

And the Canon EOS-M is the first of them all accoording to the man who is the nearest to god of we all!

So I compare it to the Nex F3 and the Nex 5n (both cameras are roughly the same) let's see:

Announced:
Sony Nex 5n: 24 august 2011
Sony Nex F3: 17 may 2012
Canon EOS-m: 23 juli 2012

APS sensor?
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: YES
Canon EOS-m: YES

Resolution sensor:
Sony Nex 5n: 16 mega pixels
Sony Nex F3: 16 mega pixels
Canon EOS-m: 18 mega pixels

DSLR quality pictures?
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: YES
Canon EOS-m: YES

Lens choice:
Sony Nex 5n: 10 AF native lenses
Sony Nex F3: 10 AF native lenses
Canon EOS-m: 2 native lenses

Adapte autofocussing lenses:
Sony Nex 5n: All native lenses plus all A-mount lenses (fast real PDAF)
Sony Nex F3: All native lenses plus all A-mount lenses (fast real PDAF)
Canon EOS-m: both native lenses and All Canon EF lenses (Slower hybrid AF)

Metal frame:
Sony Nex 5n: YES
Sony Nex F3: NO
Canon EOS-m: YES

As all cameras can shoot RAW, can adapt legacy lenses etc, we can tell this:

All cameras can go for the label professional grade, but we forgot one important thing Price!
Lets compare price now:

We want roughly the same camera so we want a pancake prime, a kit zoom and a flash with our body here are the prices:
Nex 5n: $ 699(body with kit zoom) + $279 (16 mm pancake) total $ 978,--
Nex F3: $ 598 (body with kit zoom) + $279 (16 mm pancake) total $ 897.--

EOS-M: $ 799 (body with 22mm pancake) + $300 (kit zoom)+ $150 (small flash) total of $1249,--

Yes that is a professional grade price for a camera! Even when its battery life is a joke, uses touch screen for everything and is aimed at P&S upgraderrs...

 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
sj2 Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

I don't know about you kids, but back in my day, Ken used to review cameras without ever holding them in his hands or being near one. That's how good he was

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755
Re: Ken Rockwell...EOS M world's first serious mirrorless.

Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell Ken Rockwell

Photoworks Contributing Member • Posts: 591
Ken Rockwell ... True Believer #1

Yes, Rockwell is still a muppet. He has never used any NEX but claims they are not professional because "they are just consumer electronics products and usually only with smaller 4/3 sensors (or smaller) and/or lens mounts often with few advanced lenses available."

Last time I checked, all NEX's have an APS size sensor. Just like the "pro-grade EOS-M".

Companies like Canon love the Rockwells of the world. Why innovate when you can just suck in the true believers.

sj2 wrote:

I don't know about you kids, but back in my day, Ken used to review cameras without ever holding them in his hands or being near one. That's how good he was

 Photoworks's gear list:Photoworks's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Sony Alpha 7R II
sj2 Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: What was Ken Rockwel smaking?

You must be new to interwebs and/or digital photography. Ken Rockwell is a known troll. He has been trolling about camera gear for almost a decade now. Going back to early Canon dSLR days, I remember he posted review of a Canon dSLR while admitting he didn't touch the camera. Back then he used to be Pro-Nikon and anti-Canon. Maybe a few $$ has fixed that

Surprisingly and unfortunately, his site ranks pretty high when google for digital photography equipment. The OP posted this bit of news from Ken Rockwell mostly for amusement.

And remember, when you see Ken Rockwell's site on your google search results, run the other way

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads