Reasons to switch to Oly M-5?

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions
jujubean10
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Reasons to switch to Oly M-5?
Jul 24, 2012

I currently have an Olympus E-P1. I need to justify my next purchase.

I'd love to come up with a list of great reasons to order the Olympus M-5. Help?
--
JuJu

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,274Gear list
Like?
# 1 -- It's really fun to shoot! (n/t)
In reply to jujubean10, Jul 24, 2012
 daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Reasons to switch to Oly M-5?

To me these would be the reasons:

• Built-in viewfinder

• Good manual controls with the two top dials and the optional grip

• Much better low-light performance

• Very fast auto-focus

You would lose:

• The slightly more pocket-able, compact form factor

• A bundle of cash

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,678Gear list
Like?

jujubean10 wrote:

I'd love to come up with a list of great reasons to order the Olympus M-5. Help?

If you can't, even making stuff up, maybe there is no justification.

But you can start with one reason why you are considering it. "I just want it" works for me, if it works for you. If you think it will make up for 1/2 hearted technique - it won't (not saying this is your problem, just a general statement).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

jujubean10 wrote:

There are plenty of good reasons if you do still have an E-P1 :

1) the most important : the EVF ( you were only able to plug in a fixed 17mm OVF on the E-P1).

2) the flip up display screen, which is of much better IQ than the fixed one on the E-P1.

3) the much better, faster AF and the burst mode at also a great step forward : the E-P1 was lagging compared to the Panasonic cameras.

All these three characteristics could also be had on the third generation Pens. Now for what is unique to the E-M5 :

4) a much better sensor and better IQ than in all Pens generations and Panasonic most advanced cameras : somewhat more resolution, but above all, more dynamic range and less noise t high ISOs.

5) an improved IBIS with respect t the former Pens generation and Panasonic bodies.

Well those five would be my main points. There are some others things you may enjoy as well :

6) wheather sealed camera.
7) touch display.
8) revamped menu, more logically ordered.
9) new ways of adjusting exposure of highlights and shadows in camera.
9) flash not integrated, but part of the package.
10) possibility to mount a two parts hand/battery grip.

11) some more artfilters with the possibility to modify them (to attenuate or strengthen the effects).

12) way better kit lens (assuming you want to get the kitlens) the first version of the 14-42mm was really bad. The 12-50mm is weather sealed, wider and longer and seems to offer very good macro possibilities.

Well that is all what comes to my mind. The controls of the E-P1 where already quite good, with two wheels (if you didn't deactivate the four ways wheel). It will be different, probably nt better or worse.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595
Like?

If you need someone to come up with reasons, save your money for now and continue to enjoy what you have.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
No offense but it's a completely different class...

...compared to PENs - as a matter of fact pretty much compared to anything MFT out there.

As of today this is the most advanced MFT camera by far, with hands-down the best sensor available in any MFT body.

I have a safe bet that it caused a sizable panic at Panasonic and they are tweaking their GH3 protos like crazy but beyond beating it in video - not a big challenge, let's admit it - they will have a hard time offering features that will make the IBIS tradeoff worth it (there's no way to develop an OIS replacement this fast) for the non-video user (and that's when assuming their sensor DR will match the Sony one in the OM-D.)

jujubean10 wrote:

--
JuJu

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,159Gear list
Like?

jujubean10 wrote:

--
JuJu

The OMD is better in every way except one, size, and even then it's not a huge difference. If it was a boxing match it would be a 10 second KO which includes time spent getting off the stool. That's not to say the EPL-1 isn't a good camera, it is, it's just not in the same league as the OMD, which I believe is exceptional for a lot of reasons.
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Jul 24, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

jujubean10 wrote:

--
JuJu

The OMD is better in every way except one, size, and even then it's not a huge difference. If it was a boxing match it would be a 10 second KO which includes time spent getting off the stool.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,980Gear list
Like?
The reasons are all over the internet...but it's sad that justification is necessary.

Time to rethink your situation if you must justify a new camera purchase. As another said: It's "fun." If that doesn't work, what about "I need a new toy", or the ever-popular: "I can buy it because I can buy it." Justification is a prison.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Yeah, I agree with the supposition below (Pany's "panic.").
In reply to szlevi, Jul 24, 2012

szlevi wrote:

I have a safe bet that it caused a sizable panic at Panasonic and they are tweaking their GH3 protos like crazy but beyond beating it in video - not a big challenge, let's admit it - they will have a hard time offering features that will make the IBIS tradeoff worth it (there's no way to develop an OIS replacement this fast) for the non-video user (and that's when assuming their sensor DR will match the Sony one in the OM-

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
Re: The reasons are all over the internet...but it's sad that justification is necess
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jul 24, 2012

Corkcampbell wrote:

Time to rethink your situation if you must justify a new camera purchase. As another said: It's "fun." If that doesn't work, what about "I need a new toy", or the ever-popular: "I can buy it because I can buy it." Justification is a prison.

Yet, a crafty rationalization can set one free.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Dominick Scotto
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Dominick Scotto, Jul 24, 2012

Dominick Scotto wrote:

Check out this site: http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-E-M5-vs-Olympus_PEN_E-P1

Scratch the in-camera panorama feature this site suggests (there's a pano assist, but blending of exposures is not done in-camera iirc.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Annoluce
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

The reason is that while asking, inside you already decided. Go for it.
Life is short
It is an exhilarating camera to use.

If you enter the pro/cons comparison with your E-P1, you will not land to a real rationale.
"Just do it" (and buy a couple of Nike shoes also).

jujubean10 wrote:

--
JuJu

Annoluce's gear list:Annoluce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +6 more
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

Back lit sensor.
--
Without the darkness the light would be nothing !

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,560
Like?
I went EP1 to EM5. Lots of good reasons...

Never upgraded to later EP's or EPL's because to me the benefits just didn't offset the cost.

The EM5 did cross that cost/benefit line for me. Improvements:

IS, it's not just better, it's way better. The EP1's IS was a bit of a disappointment. EM5's IS exceeds expectations. It really is as effective as the hype suggested.

The EVF. It's good, real good, and that comes from an E3 owner who was spoiled on its big, bright OVF. It's easy to forget the EM5 has an EVF. And, unlike the later EP's and EPL's, it isn't perched delicately on the flash hotshoe, where a careless bump might result in tragedy. It's built in, rock solid.

RAW output - a lot more headroom, especially lifting shadows and highlights. EP1 wasn't bad, but EM5 is very strong here.

Higher ISO's. 6400 on the EP1 was a novelty. On the EM5, it's a viable option. And the EM5 is very consistent from 200 to 3200, not much if any color shift. You can use auto ISO and not worry about the higher ISO's. You can use ISO6400 without cringing thinking about what the shot will look like.

AF. It's faster on the EM5, even when comparing the same lens. Also a lot better in lower light. The EM5 gets lock in situations that would baffle the EP1.

Handling. The photos don't really bring this out, but the EM5 is about EP1 size. A bit taller with the EVF hump, but only a bit, and believe it or not, the EM5 is actually a bit slimmer, even with the fold out LCD (another nice addition). It's every bit as portable as the EP1, with two big thumbwheels instead of one and that fiddly thing around the 4 way switch. The thumb hook makes for a more solid grip.

And the battery grip. I love this. It gives the EM5 a dual personality. Tiny when you want it, add just the vertical part for better handling but still very small, add the full grip for use with larger lenses like HG ZD's. Wow, I can now work the 50-200's zoom ring and not have the body pivot out of my right hand.

In short, the EM5 improves all the things you really like about the EP1, and eliminates most of the things you don't like. Olympus really got it right this time.

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,872
Like?

jujubean10 wrote:

Need to justify it to yourself or to the accountant?

Significantly lower noise and larger dynamic range
Much faster AF
Built-in EVF
Much better screen with touch and tilt
Higher continuous framerate
Better image stabilization that shows before the shot and during video
Better video quality and options

Compatibility with hotshoe-mounted accessories like the macro light and external mic
Weather sealing and better build

I'm sure I'm missing something but that's plenty. E-P1 to E-M5 is a huge, huge step up.

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,911Gear list
Like?
If the E-pl1 gets you the shots you want......

why change anything?

Investing in lenses, and the vf-2 (same VF as in the EM-5) will always get you more bang for your buck rather than investing in bodies.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Yes, this was one of my disappointments with my OM-D. (nt)
In reply to Bob Tullis, Jul 24, 2012

no text

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads