Some X-pro 1 street pics

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions
fritzli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473Gear list
Like?
Some X-pro 1 street pics
Jul 24, 2012

my local brick an mortar shop lets you test the x-pro 1 w/ 35 f1.4 for 2 days for free. so i tried some street shots in the capital, Berne, Switzerland.
shot in RAW, PP in LR 4.1

n°1

n°2

n°3

n°4

n°5

c&c welcome
TIA
jonny

fritzli's gear list:fritzli's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Paul Szilard
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: Some X-pro 1 street pics
In reply to fritzli, Jul 24, 2012

Oh boy! Is this camera sharp or what?

Nice pics...
--
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
malabito
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
In reply to fritzli, Jul 24, 2012

Just one word, wonderful!!!. Will get rid of the pict of the guy with the baby, not in focus but the background, so its distracting. Rest excellent!!!

fritzli wrote:

my local brick an mortar shop lets you test the x-pro 1 w/ 35 f1.4 for 2 days for free. so i tried some street shots in the capital, Berne, Switzerland.

n°1

n°2

n°3

n°4

n°5

c&c welcome
TIA
jonny

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6

http://www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +5 more
fritzli
Like?
In reply to malabito, Jul 25, 2012

thank you malabito. yes, you're right, the people in the background are sharper than the man with the baby. i see it now too.

malabito wrote:

Just one word, wonderful!!!. Will get rid of the pict of the guy with the baby, not in focus but the background, so its distracting. Rest excellent!!!

fritzli wrote:

n°1

n°2

n°3

n°4

n°5

c&c welcome
TIA
jonny

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6

http://www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
fritzli
Like?
In reply to Paul Szilard, Jul 25, 2012

thanks Paul, well, i tried to sort out the ones that were not sharp.

Paul Szilard wrote:

Oh boy! Is this camera sharp or what?

Nice pics...
--
paul szilard
http://photos.remektek.com.au

fritzli
Like?
X-pro 1 vs x100
In reply to fritzli, Jul 25, 2012

i have the x100 for some months now. it is lighter an easier for shooting w/ one hand only (which is often the case for me in street photography).
but i like the 52mm eqiv. of the x-pro1 w/ the 35mm.

hopfully fuji will bring an adapter for the x100. 50mm eqiv. on the x100 would be ideal for me.
any thoughts?

spiegellos
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?

Not bad but not that kind of street shooting what I like. When I look at the pictures there is no story and I don´t know where to look at first. Working with DOF in street shooting needs a lot of practice and that can be done with the fuji. Otherwise it is not easy to focus because all the people will look at you an then the decisive moment is over. In towns like NY or London it might be not a problem the shoot while looking through the window finder but in smaller town it is a lot heavier an needs lots of experience and practise. Keep up - but my tip is to start with a camera like Ricoh GRD and wait for the right situation. With the little ricoh you are in disguise and DOF is not a problem.

spiegellos's gear list:spiegellos's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 +1 more
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,095Gear list
Like?

Come on guys!

It's not all that hard to delete the unnecessary parts of a quoted post so we are not forced to scroll through endless repeats of the same images...to find one sentence replies.

Meaningless. And thoughtless.

But the images themselves were good the first time.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, what's up with people quoting a post with lots of images in it and leaving them in? It takes up a huge amount of unecessary space and is horrible to scroll through to find relevant posts

Great photos by the way!

borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M Typ 240 Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?

Sorry, I don't like the photos. The photos quality is good, but I don't find the subjects interesting. They're not really engaged in anything except walking.

But taking photos of people is difficult. It's difficult to criticise because I don't think I could always do better. Sometimes I would, and sometimes I wouldn't.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,413Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Jul 25, 2012

nawknai wrote:

Sorry, I don't like the photos. The photos quality is good, but I don't find the subjects interesting. They're not really engaged in anything except walking.

I feel the same, but hesitated to say anything because the key is to just get out there and DO it a lot, so I don't want to discourage you. I do a lot of street shooting and I'm far from a master at it, but with time, you start looking for a story, an interaction, a moment, something HAPPENING in the shot. Occasionally a shot of someone just walking down the street is OK, but there needs to be something REALLY interesting about them.

But taking photos of people is difficult. It's difficult to criticise because I don't think I could always do better. Sometimes I would, and sometimes I wouldn't.

This is why I held off saying anything until now. Its not really that difficult but its VERY difficult when you're new to it. First because we're all a little self-conscious about it initially, and second because there's always a LOT going on, a lot of moving pieces that you're trying to bring together, and you really have to develop a system and a technique with your gear and know it to the point that you barely have to think about it when you're shooting. I tend to use zone focus so I can let the moment dictate when I trip the shutter, rather than letting when I achieve focus dictate when I take the shot.

Stay with it - these are FINE for someone relatively new to the genre. Technically they're completely fine - very good. They just need to tell a bit more of a story. The main thing is if you enjoy the process, keep going out and doing it and in time you'll get more comfortable shooting and so you'll get more discriminating about WHAT you're shooting. Now it probably feels like an accomplishment to just GET the shot of people in public. But in time that will become second nature and then you can start focussing on what's going on in the shot.

These aren't there yet, in my opinion. But they're an absolutely critical early step and they're fine in that context. Keep shooting, keep posting, and we'll start seeing some big changes over the next few months!

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jul 25, 2012

Oh, I'm not implying that I'm awesome. I just commented with no

Sometimes I'm brave, and sometimes I end up intending on taking people photos, and end up with photos of the city.

It's funny, because my very first set of shots with my X100 --- roughly 180 keepers --- were some of my absolute best, while everything since has been average. Perhaps I'm just being picky, or I really was braver that first weekend, when I set out to take photos of people at all costs!!

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Ray Sachs
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Jul 25, 2012

nawknai wrote:

Oh, I'm not implying that I'm awesome. I just commented with no

I wasn't implying that you thought you were! Just trying to sort of apologize in advance to the OP for the critical nature of my comments.

Sometimes I'm brave, and sometimes I end up intending on taking people photos, and end up with photos of the city.

When I go out to shoot on the street, I'm pretty single minded and do a lot of that and a little of the other stuff if I see something interesting. But I have to get into a particular zone of hyper-awareness of what's going on around me to be any good at all street shooting. And I always come away with far more duds than keepers, but if I'm really into it and working it, I almost always come away with a handful of keepers...

It's funny, because my very first set of shots with my X100 --- roughly 180 keepers --- were some of my absolute best, while everything since has been average. Perhaps I'm just being picky, or I really was braver that first weekend, when I set out to take photos of people at all costs!!

There's always a bit of "new camera smell" associated with a new shooting experience. I always do pretty well with a new camera just because I'm psyched to be using it. But ultimately, I do my best work with gear I'm VERY familiar with and can use without really having to think about it. A street shooter I have a lot of respect for says the best thing a camera can do out on the street is get out of the way. I feel about the same way. I don't have an X100 anymore, but I have an X-Pro, an OMD, and a Ricoh GRD3. I'm very comfortable shooting on the street with any of them, but I seem to get my most consistently good results with the OMD and the Olympus 12mm lens, which is ideally designed for zone focussing. But everyone has to find the tools that work best for them.

-Ray

cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,480Gear list
Like?
Excellent critique...

That's some very nice, good and constructive critique there Ray - makes a refreshing change from the way people usually reply to photos on forums!

I think the OP is on the right track with this style of street photography, ie getting in there (as opposed to the type of street photography I HATE which is using a long lens and picking people off from a distance!) but like you say, sometimes you need to simply watch and wait for a "scene" to evolve.
Keep it up!
--
http://www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent critique...
In reply to cheddargav, Jul 25, 2012

I like the third one: firstly, because of the mirror effects of the various escalators. Secondly because it does tell me a story: that guy is desperately looking for the bus (or tram - hey it's switzerland!) to catch. I think he just missed it and he is about to start cursing.

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
fritzli
Like?

Ray Sachs wrote:

Stay with it - these are FINE for someone relatively new to the genre. Technically they're completely fine - very good. They just need to tell a bit more of a story. The main thing is if you enjoy the process, keep going out and doing it and in time you'll get more comfortable shooting and so you'll get more discriminating about WHAT you're shooting. Now it probably feels like an accomplishment to just GET the shot of people in public. But in time that will become second nature and then you can start focussing on what's going on in the shot.

hi Rey, thank you for your honest critique. i think it is aimed to me te OP?

bear in mind that i tried the x-pro just for a weekend. i'm nowhere familiar w/ the camera. however, the sentence i emphasized above expresses exactly how i'm felling actually trying street photography. thanks again for your helpful input.
regards
jonny

Ray Sachs
Like?

fritzli wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

hi Rey, thank you for your honest critique. i think it is aimed to me te OP?

Yeah, it was. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

bear in mind that i tried the x-pro just for a weekend. i'm nowhere familiar w/ the camera. however, the sentence i emphasized above expresses exactly how i'm felling actually trying street photography. thanks again for your helpful input.

I fully understand and I can totally relate - I think everyone who gets into street shooting probably goes through that same stage or something very close to it. And I was hesitant to say anything because you're on EXACTLY the right track and I don't want to in ANY way discourage you from keeping at it. At first everything seems to be moving so fast and there's so much to think about between the camera (particularly if its new to you) and just seeing what's happening around you. I remember coming back and being pleased as could be with any shot that was even remotely competent at getting a person or two in the screen with ANY sort of context. Over time, as you do a lot of it, the equipment becomes second nature and everything starts to slow down and you become much more aware of scanning a scene and locking onto something that looks like it might be developing, or a moment that's already happening that looks like it might last another second or two, stuff like that. And as you get better at spotting the opportunities, you get better at getting the shots. I've been doing it a LOT for a couple of years now and I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I love the process - its just a great improvisational dance out there that I find incredibly enjoyable. And every now and then I get a few shots I like...

So, please stay with it and keep sharing your progress.

-Ray

ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

Excellent shots. How did you process in Lightroom?
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc.

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
fritzli
Like?
In reply to ELLIOT P STERN, Jul 25, 2012

thank you. in LR i normally follow the steps described here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7481161037/lightroom-4-review under the pragraph "develop module" (p.1+2);
so nothing special. no sharpening was applied in these photos.

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

Excellent shots. How did you process in Lightroom?
--
El

Gear. 2 Omd, all the lenses, Ep3, Ep2, Ep1 infrared, Fuji X100, Fuji x pro 1, all the Fuji lenses, Voigtlander 15,21,28,50,75,90,180. Nikon 55 macro, 200 macro and Zeiss 100mm macro, Induro Tripods and heads, etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads