A-57 or A-65?

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions
jmac35
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
A-57 or A-65?
Jul 23, 2012

I have read numerous threads discussing the differences between the two, with owners of each model weighing in.

The reason for the new thread is that my situation is slightly different. I own the NEX 5N and I'm looking to complement it with a more traditional-handling camera.

I'm leaning toward the A-57 but am beginning to think that it may be a bit redundant to have two cameras with the same sensor (NEX 5N).

Will the 24MP A-65 be a better choice?

A little info:

• I shoot mainly JPEGs for now, but am open to changing that

• I'm a golf writer and shoot lots on golf courses

• And I shoot day-to-day shots of my young daughter

I also own the LA-EA2 adapter and a few A-mount lenses but might ditch the adapter after this purchase.

Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,705
Like?
Re: A-57 or A-65?
In reply to jmac35, Jul 23, 2012

I've had my a57 for about two weeks only. I love everything about the camera, especially the Clear Image button. The ease of getting extra high quality zoom is a great feature for my purposes. My 55-200mm Sony kit lens has become very versatile.

I shoot JPEG only and never have to touch a picture from this camera. Well, almost never, once in awhile the flash shots indoors are not true to life due to reflections from flat furniture surfaces in the scene. The subjects, dogs mostly, are great.

The one thing I was curious about was the difference in the EVFs between the a57 and a65. I looked at these in a camera store and saw no difference, though I'm aware some people prefer the a65 OLED view.

I have several nice cameras and I find myself always wanting to pick up the a57.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
In reply to jmac35, Jul 23, 2012

Well, I guess I have to throw in my opinion on the A65 to balance it out. First off, you can't really go wrong with either camera. I know how unhelpful this will seem as I got the same response when I asked your same question, but In the end, it's going to come down to YOUR preference. YOUR going to be the one taking the pictures so make sure the camera you choose is everything to your liking first.

Now, I LOVE my A65. Yes it has 24MP which makes it nice for using it as sort of a digital zoom when you take a picture, zoomin and crop it, and still have a VERY usable photo. But the reason I choose the A65 over the A57 was the OLED EVF. To me, the A57 viewfinder had too much noise in itself for me to be comfortable with. Whereas the OLED EVF of the A65 is SO sharp that I can hardly tell the difference to an OVF. That alone was worth the 24MP Price difference. That and having built in GPS is pretty darn cool too.

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
thubleau7
Contributing MemberPosts: 516
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jul 24, 2012

If your shooting jpegs than go for the A57 its a much faster camera with longer bursts and as many reviewers have said the A65/A77 do not do justice to jpegs with the larger sensor.

eglasper
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to jmac35, Jul 24, 2012

Second vote for the A65...because you will always wonder if you should have bought it instead. As a previous owner of both (finally settled on the A77) they are both great. The EVF on the A65/A77 is only slightly better...it's more contrasty. Image quality is pretty much equal despite what many here would have you believe. Toss a coin and if you're disappointed with the result - buy the other instead.

Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
In reply to eglasper, Jul 24, 2012

Tossed my coin this morning and voted with my wallet for the A57. Simply prefer the 16 MP sensor for my type of shooting and post-processing, but can certainly understand why others prefer the A65.

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,413Gear list
Like?
In reply to jmac35, Jul 24, 2012

jmac35 wrote:

I have read numerous threads discussing the differences between the two, with owners of each model weighing in.

The reason for the new thread is that my situation is slightly different. I own the NEX 5N and I'm looking to complement it with a more traditional-handling camera.

I'm leaning toward the A-57 but am beginning to think that it may be a bit redundant to have two cameras with the same sensor (NEX 5N).

Will the 24MP A-65 be a better choice?

The A65 has a significantly better EVF and the extra resolution is really nice for cropping at iso800 and below. Just my 2 cents but I would go with the A65.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Jul 25, 2012

Both are very good. Best choice now is the a57 due to price drop. Very good evf and IQ. a65 evf seem is slightly better but I tried few time demo both camera in concluding a77 last Sat, the difference is not obvious to me. But some people see it is huge differences. So better to try both yourself. What I think is, if you need 24mp should skip a65 go to a77 which is a better camera to give the higher mp justice.

yorugua
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to jmac35, Jul 25, 2012

I went for the A65 for having memories of my two sons.

I mostly take pictures of them playing, so I usually have the A65 coupled with a 18-250mm sony superzoom: you never know what they are going to be doing, so you need to be flexible, and switching lenses say in a beach is a no-no. As they do their thing mostly outdoors and with good weather, then you get good light for shooting.

I choose the A65 with its 24MP for "future proofing" my pictures as much as I could with better resolution. I usually shoot jpeg + raw, and process with After Shot pro or similar if I need more out of the jpeg (the jpegs on the A65 could do better, that's my opinion).

Can't actually compare with the A57... but the A65 looks good. If you are going to do jpeg+raw, be sure to get a fast SD card.

yorugua's gear list:yorugua's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W320 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to yorugua, Jul 25, 2012

I also just bought Sony 18250 for my a57 and like it very much. The lens is much easier to get better IQ than the kit lens 1855. Before I buy the 18250, I was shooting with 50f18 and I realised the a57 is really benefited by this lens compared to 1855. Last Sunday I was intended to shoot raw+jpeg then I realised with this setting the in camera jpeg functions are mostly unapplicable. That really take away the fun of shooting. I am still a jpeg shooter so that's is ok.

Having touched the 1650 on the a77 last Sat and love the lens. The price of a57 is very good now so getting the a57+1650 is like big bargain.

Back to topic, both camera is good. Choose base on budget pick either one is in win win situation.

yorugua wrote:

I went for the A65 for having memories of my two sons.

I mostly take pictures of them playing, so I usually have the A65 coupled with a 18-250mm sony superzoom: you never know what they are going to be doing, so you need to be flexible, and switching lenses say in a beach is a no-no. As they do their thing mostly outdoors and with good weather, then you get good light for shooting.

I choose the A65 with its 24MP for "future proofing" my pictures as much as I could with better resolution. I usually shoot jpeg + raw, and process with After Shot pro or similar if I need more out of the jpeg (the jpegs on the A65 could do better, that's my opinion).

Can't actually compare with the A57... but the A65 looks good. If you are going to do jpeg+raw, be sure to get a fast SD card.

doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photoviewer, Jul 25, 2012

I've been shooting both for the past month or so and both
are superb.

But... I just sold my A57 body and am buying another A65.

I keep a 16-50 on one body and usually have my 70-400G
on the other one, on tripod.

For my shooting, I like the OLED and the 24MP imager of the
A65 better. And call me crazy, but I do think the images from
the A65 are more "organic". Which I like. I never did feel
limited by the so-called "high ISO" issue of the A65. Hence
my decision to go with two A65's.

I shoot JPEG.

good shooting, Chris

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads