Do you use a tripod with your M4/3 camera?

Started Jul 23, 2012 | Discussions
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Do you use a tripod with your M4/3 camera?
Jul 23, 2012

If so, which one? And, for what type of work?

I thought it would be interesting to take this survey.

Thanks.

Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you use a tripod with your M4/3 camera?
In reply to dezignman, Jul 23, 2012

I do. It's a Manfotto non-carbon with a Manfotto head. I will be switching out or an Acratech head shortly, they are hanging a design to me of their heads.

I use a tripod or mono anytime stabilization is required, which is quite often. I shoot a lot a landscape/cityscape stuff...

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace

http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/

I'd Rather Be Over The Hill Than Be Under It

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

dezignman wrote:

Thanks.

Once in a while, I use a monopod. It's an old, but still effective, Bogen with a small Manfrotto ball head. With the EM-5 not yet used a tripod, and seldom did with the EP3. Hard to be specific about circumstances of using the monopod, it varies quite a bit, but doing close-up work of nature subjects, flowers and the like, would be one instance.

However, I do use a copy rail, which I designed and built, where the camera is mounted and locked in position. Mainly used for making photographs of fine-art prints (monotypes, block prints, etchings, etc.), or old photographs and other objects. So in that use, it's similar to a tripod. Just have to remember to turn off the IS when so mounted.

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
I am a big fan of tripods...

I used a Manfrotto 190 CX3 for these shots http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42088230

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,799Gear list
Like?
Oh yes.

Feisol 3442 and photoclam pc30 ballhead.

I found them essential for my old DSLR 400mm+ (35mm equiv) even with IBIS in anything less than bright sunlight. With m43, I don't have a long telephoto lens yet, but I plan to get one eventually. Even so, the tripod gets plenty of use for product shots, macro etc..

I'd also consider getting a bigger ballhead too. Arca-Swiss P0 looks interesting. After using a full-sized, centre column-free CF tripod I don't think I'd feel happy with anything less solid despite the smaller size/weight of m43.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?

I do not think so. They have bought m43 because they do not want to lung around bulky gear. Roaming around with tripod would defeat the purpose of their buy. Tripod is for the users who buy dslrs and keep them in drawers at home.

dezignman wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

Albert Ang
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?

Manfrotto 190XPROB which I bought originally for my dSLR. yes, it's heavy, but that's why it can withstand a quite strong wind!

Tripod is used mostly for long exposure shooting such as: http://www.flickr.com/photos/albert-ang/5746157347/in/photostream (taken by X100 instead of m43) - something i haven't done since I owned m43 last months ago because the weather is too cold at night
or when I use 10 stop ND filter.

Now, i'm planning to try to use tripod to take multiple shots and create a composite photo.

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Zavo
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

I use a Vanguard Nivelo 204BK. It's a lightweight travel tripod (600g), so it's a good companion for m43. I use it for landscapes mostly.

Zavo's gear list:Zavo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,977Gear list
Like?
nt)Only if I'm bracketing, i.e., need multiple shots exactly the same.

nt=No text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
yes, as with any camera

dezignman wrote:

Yes,
Velbon Sherpa (or Carmagne) 630 CF with an ArcaSwiss P0 head

architecture, long exposures, HDR work, focus bracketing works, whenever framing is important and a tripod is possible at all, sometimes when waiting for the right moment shooting semi statical subjects, when in the mode for careful shooting, when having set up the lights correctly, and so on

I have an E-M5 and the tripod beats the IBIS every time...

Having said that I also should mention I make heavy use of the IBIS and for me it works fine. I don't always bring the tripod, far from it actually, but when I do the results are superior and that often with regards to camera shake and framing.

Essentially it is the same as always. The IBIS offers a possibility to shoot hand-held a little longer than we could do without IBIS and that's good, especially indoors when equipped with a fast lens. IBIS also works fine when standing on something vibrating a little but you have to take several images making sure something is useful.

"the tripod is my best lens" (or something like that, and I think it helds a good portion of truth).

Jonas

Davey1
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
M43 Tripod
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jul 23, 2012

I've used a Gorilla Pod for a while. It's cheap, light and holds a camera but it's a pain to position accurately; not that much better than nestling the camera on top of a bag or jacket and using the 2 second shutter release.

I've recently bought an EBay Gitzo 1542T with an old Lindof ball head. The tripod is excellent, lives up to the hype although I'd struggle to justify the new price.

The head looks good but doesn't work very well (no surprise it was free with the tripod) it doesn't handle fine adjustments well and settles a bit once you've locked it down.

I've got a Markins Q3 quick release head on it's way and a Kirk PZ-130 plate which fits my G3 perfectly.

I'm not sure how much use it will get, if I don't use it enough the this type of kit holds it's value so nothing lost (or not much at least!).

ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 Tripod
In reply to Davey1, Jul 23, 2012

I use the Induro 213 with the Induro BHL2 head. The head uses arca swiss plates.

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_CT213.html

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_BHL2.html#2

When:
HDR photography
longer than slow Shutter speeds
Macro with Novaflex mini rail
When I want to best stabilization I can get

When I don't:
Street Photography
Parties
When where I am shooting tripods are not allowed

-- hide signature --

Elliot

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Absolutely yes!

A tripod is absolutely necessary.

Velbon El Carmagne with Markins ball head

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

DrWu
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Naturally: Do you use a tripod with your M4/3 camera?

Always when needed and especially when shooting landscapes or still lives.
P.

ELLIOT P STERN
Like?
Re: Naturally: Do you use a tripod with your M4/3 camera?
In reply to DrWu, Jul 23, 2012

absolutely. Truthfully I am never without a tripod.

DrWu wrote:

Always when needed and especially when shooting landscapes or still lives.
P.

-- hide signature --

Elliot

ELLIOT P STERN
Like?
Re: Absolutely yes!
In reply to wildwilly, Jul 23, 2012

Beautiful image
--
Elliot

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,283Gear list
Like?

dezignman wrote:

Yes. And a monopod, too. I use a wired shutter release with my GH2 when using it on a tripod. I use it for macro, low light and long telephoto (birds and things).

Tripod: Gitzo GT1542T
Ball Head: Really Right Stuff BH-30 with standard round platform.

Monopod: Gitzo GM2561T
Ball Head: Really Right Stuff BH-25 with standard round platform.

Since I use only one camera, really didn't see the sense in getting into the added size, weight, expense and complexity of using an Acra-type head and plates. Trying to keep things simple. Isn't that part of the appeal of M4/3? For me it is.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,613Gear list
Like?
eschew IBIS

dezignman wrote:

If so, which one? And, for what type of work? I thought it would be interesting to take this survey.

Gitzo G1158 carbon fiber with RRS BH30 PF ball head. I also have an aluminum Gitzo Series 0 "Weekender" tripod and head that I bought new about 20 years ago. It's still a great tripod for m4/3 and compact cameras.

I use a tripod quite often unless it just doesn't make sense, such as a fast-moving family function or in an area where tripods are not allowed. My photos are much sharper when using a tripod, even at some shutter speeds normally considered "safe" for hand-holding. A tripod makes every lens a better lens, even my awful kit zoom. Switching to the lightweight Gitzo Series 1 carbon fiber has made lugging around the tripod/camera combo pretty much a non-issue for me. An added bonus is that my framing is much more precise and bracketing is easier when I employ the tripod.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
James Pilcher
Like?
better than IBIS
In reply to Jonas B, Jul 23, 2012

Jonas B wrote:

Velbon Sherpa (or Carmagne) 630 CF with an ArcaSwiss P0 head

architecture, long exposures, HDR work, focus bracketing works, whenever framing is important and a tripod is possible at all, sometimes when waiting for the right moment shooting semi statical subjects, when in the mode for careful shooting, when having set up the lights correctly, and so on

I have an E-M5 and the tripod beats the IBIS every time...

I'm glad to know at least one person agrees with me. I have been chided in this forum for my staunch support (pun intended) of tripods in this sloppy hand-held era of "IBIS solves everything."

"the tripod is my best lens"

I've never heard that saying, but I'll remember it now! My Gitzo makes every lens better (see my post below).

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
James Pilcher
Like?
Never without a tripod
In reply to ELLIOT P STERN, Jul 23, 2012

ELLIOT P STERN wrote:

absolutely. Truthfully I am never without a tripod.

I keep a tripod in my car, even when I don't happen to have a camera with me. It's always there when I need it, whether to make photos or beat off an attacking bear.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads