People who are disappointed by Canon's mirrorless...

Started Jul 22, 2012 | Discussions
Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
People who are disappointed by Canon's mirrorless...
Jul 22, 2012

To people who are disappointed by Canon's mirrorless camera that hasn't even been announced yet: It sounds like you may be interested in a DSLR.

Pete4
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: People who are disappointed by Canon's mirrorless...
In reply to Starshot, Jul 22, 2012

Well, people who are looking for barebone expensive camera with APS sensor but without VF, without build in flash, without any meaningful dial or dedicated control buttons, come Monday Canon will announce camera just for you.

Starshot wrote:

To people who are disappointed by Canon's mirrorless camera that hasn't even been announced yet: It sounds like you may be interested in a DSLR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Starshot
Like?
In reply to Pete4, Jul 22, 2012

That's what I don't get
WHAT were people expecting?

How could they have expected something that somehow ended up making them disappointed?

A mirrorless camera with an APC-C sensor? christ that's awesome.

What do you mean without a meaningful dial? Looks like it has one to me, plus thumb controls and a touch screen. What more do you need???

Like I said, if you want all those things, GET A DSLR

BrianPriceUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?

The majority of posters in this forum will expect the M1 to be a mirror-less D800E for less than $500.
They obviously won't get it, but they will still whine about it.

Brian

nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
In reply to BrianPriceUK, Jul 22, 2012

Correction - they're already whining about it

BrianPriceUK wrote:

The majority of posters in this forum will expect the M1 to be a mirror-less D800E for less than $500.
They obviously won't get it, but they will still whine about it.

Brian

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,926Gear list
Like?
I agree...
In reply to BrianPriceUK, Jul 22, 2012

I agree with everything posted here so far.

And about all the whiners here: People these days want a four course meal for the price of a cup of coffee. It seems to be human nature to want more than just good value and just because a manufacturer doesn't offer you an OVF or a Flip-LCD or some other accessory, it doesn't mean the product itself is worthless... and yet that's the way people seem to act these days.

Go buy another brand if you don't like what's on offer. But don't tell me that brand-X has mastered the lens, the processor and ergonomics because very few have done do. I sure don't care if Canon drops the ball (again) but you just know they're going to be conservative with a camera like this. They actually have a long history of crippling new models just to preserve the high profit margin in other lines like lenses or DSLRs.

I was going to buy one of these mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras as long as I can stick a Canon EF f/1.2L USM lens on it. I just want to do it and see what sort of results I can get from it. When I picked up my G1X yesterday to bring it out with me I chuckled to myself: " LOL! This is probably the same size as the smallest configuration of the EOS-M. "

If the announcement reveals more appealing information, I'll consider getting one of these because I think it makes a great backup to a regular sized DSLR.

Personally, I think there's going to be more to this camera that just a few leaked pictures. Let's see what the announce in the next day or so. I think it's going to be interesting... and there will HAVE to be a new forum for it.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,536
Like?
Can't condem or praise..

.. until we know what it is. Rumors are only rumors.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

Starshot
Like?
Re: Can't condem or praise..
In reply to Doug J, Jul 22, 2012

Not exactly rumors at this point though.

I'm surprised that I'm excited for one since I was like what the hell is a point of a mirrorless. But now if it's the same sensor size and mirrorless I'm wondering if this is going to help with FPS and focus in video maybe?

I kind of just want a "toy" camera that I can take everywhere but still take good photos.

I wonder if a single 22mm lens would be good for all times?

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,536
Like?

Nothing wrong with a "toy' that produces decent photos

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
It was expected... / Sensor choice

It was expected that Canon's first mirrorless camera would be an entry-level model, because that is what sells the best. In the future, they will release an enthusiast-level model.

The important thing is that they decided to go with an APS-C sensor, rather than going the Nikon 1 route.

straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pete4, Jul 22, 2012

Pete4 wrote:

Well, people who are looking for barebone expensive camera with APS sensor but without VF, without build in flash, without any meaningful dial or dedicated control buttons, come Monday Canon will announce camera just for you.

That's the majority of the general public. Why would Canon release a high end model for a much more smaller target audience as it's first mirrorless camera and then lose sales? Average joe doesn't need an EVF and would prefer a 'cool' touch screen over a plethora of external dials.

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,935Gear list
Like?
Also the stupid complain about no EVF, canon will have multiple models soon

Another stupid thing is the endless complain about EVF. What's to complain about? Sooner or later, canon will also release an EVF version, much like every competitor. One model doens't satisfied everyone . There is usually 2-3 modles of mirrorless from every maker. For example:

• Nikon V1 has EVF

• Nikon J1 has no EVF

• Olympus E-P3 has no EVF

• Olympus E-M5 has EVF

• Panasonic GF2, GF3, GX1 has no EVF

• Panasonic G3, GH2 has EVF

• Sony NEX C3, 5n has no EVF

• Sony NEX 7 has EVF

So what if the leak photo of the current Canon Mirrorless is the one without EVF? Canon will release another model that had it anyways.

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?

overgeneralization. there are some that are disappointed that Canon went the Sony NEX route -- small body but once you add lenses other than pancakes like the 22mm, you have an awkward combo of small body and big lenses. some (like me) would have preferred Canon go smaller with sensor so that the lenses could be proportionally smaller like in m4/3.

but Canon gets to pick where it wants to play and it prefers to play against Sony instead of m4/3, which is fine. I am not disappointed, just disinterested where I might have been interested. more choices is always good and competition from Canon may force Sony to do more to build up its NEX lens portfolio.

for now, I will stick with my Canon G11 and m4/3 kit set up. I did the dslr thing and just got worn down by the gear size and weight.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
dmartin92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug J, Jul 22, 2012

Doug J wrote:

Nothing wrong with a "toy' that produces decent photos

If the surprise of tomorrow is that there will be an EVF that fits on to the flash mount, then I'm interested. If not, then I'm not.

Even if it takes great photos, I don't want to be using an LCD in bright light to try to frame the image. I'm just not interested, at all.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
altendky
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?

Starshot wrote:

But now if it's the same sensor size and mirrorless I'm wondering if this is going to help with FPS and focus in video maybe?

This is where I'm lost. Is there some technical reason for mirrorless to be faster or better at CDAF than a DSLR/T? FPS shouldn't be any better, it would just be a question of whether you can see through the OVF of the DSLR with high FPS.

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Jul 22, 2012

RaymondR wrote:

overgeneralization. there are some that are disappointed that Canon went the Sony NEX route -- small body but once you add lenses other than pancakes like the 22mm, you have an awkward combo of small body and big lenses. some (like me) would have preferred Canon go smaller with sensor so that the lenses could be proportionally smaller like in m4/3.

but Canon gets to pick where it wants to play and it prefers to play against Sony instead of m4/3, which is fine.

there's no winning .. because then you have some like me that would be disappointed that current EOS lenses would be a 2x crop factor.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
photoholiko
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
In reply to straylightrun, Jul 22, 2012

There are a lot of joe's in this forum and the majority are not average, they want something more than a P&S with an APS-C sensor.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,697Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-Pro1 set the bar

Fuji X-Pro1 set the bar, and this looks way way under that bar.

Very disappointing - a real lack of innovation from Canon

Basically rolling an existing sensor into a consumer point and shoot shell to fill a gap.

No optical viewfinder, no manual controls, no sensor improvements, no EVF, no improvement on low light performance etc etc.

Sure, they'll do a beter model in the future - but right now they've been caught flat footed and only have this to show.

Too much of an installed base of EF lenses and DSLRs to protect me thinks...

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
locke42
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-Pro1 set the bar
In reply to Chris Dodkin, Jul 22, 2012

The Fuji X-Pro 1 is $1700 WITHOUT A LENS.

That's not a "bar." That's a goddamn skyscraper radio tower.

If anything, it's Sony who set the bar for CSCs with the NEX-5N.

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Fuji X-Pro1 set the bar, and this looks way way under that bar.

Very disappointing - a real lack of innovation from Canon

Basically rolling an existing sensor into a consumer point and shoot shell to fill a gap.

No optical viewfinder, no manual controls, no sensor improvements, no EVF, no improvement on low light performance etc etc.

Sure, they'll do a beter model in the future - but right now they've been caught flat footed and only have this to show.

Too much of an installed base of EF lenses and DSLRs to protect me thinks...

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

locke42's gear list:locke42's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
locke42
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoholiko, Jul 22, 2012

photoholiko wrote:

There are a lot of joe's in this forum and the majority are not average, they want something more than a P&S with an APS-C sensor.

Funny, from all of the people creaming themselves over the RX100 and X100, I would have thought that a P&S with an APS-C sensor would be the holy grail of this place.

locke42's gear list:locke42's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads