Should I buy NEX-5N or wait for NEX-F5?

Started Jul 21, 2012 | Discussions
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Should I buy NEX-5N or wait for NEX-F5?
Jul 21, 2012

I've been shooting with a Canon S95 for a 15 months and feel that my skills have matured enough to warrant an upgrade to a more capable system. Sony's NEX-5N looks like the ideal camera for me, but I've heard rumors about a successor (NEX-F5?) being released soon (this summer?).

So my question is simply, should I wait for the F5 or just get 5N? Will the F5 actually by released "soon"? Has it even been announced, or all the information we have based on leaks and rumors?

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: Should I buy NEX-5N or wait for NEX-F5?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 21, 2012

Should I be happy on Thursday or should I wait until Sunday?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 21, 2012

Kalabalik wrote:

So my question is simply, should I wait for the F5 or just get 5N? Will the F5 actually by released "soon"? Has it even been announced, or all the information we have based on leaks and rumors?

A lot of new things are coming. That is for sure. When? Photokina is in September. So it will be August or early September.

FuzzyQball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 22, 2012

Take a look at the F3. Does it have any thing that you want that the 5n doesn't have? Is there anything you want that the 5n does not provide? There will always be new models in the offing. In the meantime you could be enjoying your new cam. You will be "blown away" by the image quality of the 5n. The next model will have some changes, but it won't be huge.
--
Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
pcmechanic99
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 24, 2012

if you're happy with the S95 for 15months now. no need to rush. I am super happy with my 5n, already sold all Nikon gears, but at this point. If I were you, I would wait in a month or two for the 5F. 5N is great, but the add on flash looks weird.

pcmechanic99's gear list:pcmechanic99's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Wait... here's why...

A new 5 series model is due pretty soon now.

If you wait for it to be announced, the current model will go on some good sales. Then you have a choice to either buy the 5n at a nice discount, or choose to buy the new model because you prefer its features and advancements.

If a new model announcement was 4+ months away, I would say buy now. But in this situation I think it's worth it to wait a little.

I tend to buy things at the beginning of their life cycle. That way I always avoid the "damn, wish I waited a little bit" blues. For example, I recently bought a NEX F3 and RX100. I love them both. And it will be a long time (probably a year) before they are replaced with new models.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
waitwat
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re: Wait... here's why...
In reply to Tapper123, Jul 24, 2012

You replace a camera every year? wow...

waitwat
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

buy it... i bought it and i'm happy with it, i've learned that for getting a real IQ improvement you have to wait a few years... well, maybe you can wait for a price drop, maybe.

Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait... here's why...
In reply to waitwat, Jul 24, 2012

No, I meant a year before Sony replaces the models. Bad wording.

But I do tend to buy new cameras every 2 years.

waitwat wrote:

You replace a camera every year? wow...

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 25, 2012

This is not answer, but I think you should not expect much improvement in new model. May even be 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Now that Canon M if failed to beat NEX-5n (specwise), Sony will have no need rush.

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
rinkos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Jul 25, 2012

Kalabalik wrote:

I've been shooting with a Canon S95 for a 15 months and feel that my skills have matured enough to warrant an upgrade to a more capable system. Sony's NEX-5N looks like the ideal camera for me, but I've heard rumors about a successor (NEX-F5?) being released soon (this summer?).

always wait if u can ..especially now that its around the corner.

worst case scenario you would buy the 5N ..maybe slightly lower price now that its replacement is up .
best case the 5F is a nice improvement over the 5N

also beside launch deals there is always Xmas area to get better prices ..or kit for that matter to come with .

either way even if u do end up with the 5N u made a very smart choice and i hope ull enjoy it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads