Ever seen this problem with a D200 or other Nikon?

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
onedawg
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Ever seen this problem with a D200 or other Nikon?
Jul 20, 2012

So last month my dad gave me a pristine D200 body (less than 150 shutter actuations) that had mostly sat on a shelf in his closet for five years without being used. I immediately started using it and really liked the body (much more comfortable to hold and used than my D40X).

After taking about 800 pictures with it (so still less than 1000 shutter actuations) the camera started behaving oddly. It would take pictures but they had vertical lines running through them. The camera would always take a picture with the shutter button pressed, but the Menu and Playback buttons didn't always work. Now the camera is completely unresponsive and won't turn on even though the battery is fully charged. At first I thought that perhaps the CF card (Sandisk Extreme) had become corrupted but it read fine in my computer and trying a second card didn't change anything). I've included two pictures showing the phenomenon, one a 100% crop and the other the full picture (both from NEFs).

Do you think the camera can be reasonably fixed or is it just a goner? It'd be such a shame to junk such a great body like this, even if it is an older camera.

The D200 with my SB-700 on top and 50 1.4G on the front. Dad's EM-5 on the right with the bigger grip (so comfortable) and tiny external flash.

A picture of my niece taken with the D200 before it broke.

100% crop of the first bad photo.

A painful to look at full size photo exhibiting the same problem.

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,214Gear list
Like?
Re: Ever seen this problem with a D200 or other Nikon?
In reply to onedawg, Jul 20, 2012

If I were you, I'd send it in for service. They'll tell you what it will cost to fix after they get it and determine the problem. Then you can decide if it's worth the money.

IIRC, you can buy good, used d200 for about $500 to $600 or so, but probably not with the shutter count you have.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
28to70
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,040
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jul 20, 2012

It must be one of the early D200's that had bad banding problems. This is a bad sensor. The camera is out of warranty, and I bet Nikon will want $1200.00 for a new sensor.

Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,622
Like?
In reply to onedawg, Jul 21, 2012

Send it in to Nikon for a free quote. It only costs you postage.

It does look like a bad sensor, but the sticky buttons point to other damage. Perhaps the camera was near moisture in the closet all these years and is corroded inside.

You will never know until you send it in for a quote. Be sure to jot down the full list of symptoms on the request for repair quote.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
In reply to Catallaxy, Jul 21, 2012

some early ones did that ,maybe thats why it ended up on a shelf with only 150 shots recorded .
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2006/02/11/nikond200banding

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13872

ICUC
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, Jul 21, 2012

TITCHY wrote:

some early ones did that ,maybe thats why it ended up on a shelf with only 150 shots recorded .

Unless my (biological) memory is totally out of gear, the OP’s problem is way more pronounced than the D200 banding problem discussed at the time, and I used to have one of those bodies. Typically, banding would manifest itself as very fine horizontal lines and only in very high-contrast areas of the photo, not coarse, vertical and all over, as in the OP’s examples. In his first shot (of the two cameras), banding would be most likely to show up e.g. in and around darker woodwork of the chair against the blown-out background just to the right if the speedlight.

My uneducated guess would be some component in the readout/processing circuitry gone bad, and if I’m halfway right, it can hopefully be fixed for less than a sensor exchange would cost. So I agree with previous posters who suggested sending it in for a repair estimate – it’s still a fine camera.

Grelber

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
In reply to ICUC, Jul 21, 2012

My D200 had banding ,it was an early one ,ordered at launch , there were around 7 in the club I was then a member of ,and at least two would throw out the occasional shot with banding ,every bit as bad as the OPs , they were returned under warranty ,and had been repaired ,with some components being replaced . there were only a few early models that suffered from this and later models were free of the banding .

obviousely it will have to be seen by Nikon for an estimate . yes it could be a damp atmosphere , or maybe it had a minor bump ,or maybe any one of a dozen other possibilities . but as the shutter count is so low ,I think it possible it was one of the (very problematic) early ones.

send one of the bad pics to Nikon ,and include the serial , I am sure they will sort it out ,either way.

azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,102
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, Jul 21, 2012

I also had one of the very first D200s during the "banding" issue. What the OP is seeing is not what was the banding problem, but something more pronounced, perhaps circuitry problems as has been mentioned. I would also recommend it be sent to Nikon to see what they say. At that shutter count, and the price, you can afford a certain amount to fix it.
--
JohnE

onedawg
Like?
In reply to azguy, Jul 21, 2012

The camera worked fine when I was given it. Dad bought it in April 2007 so it wasn't one of the first ones produced.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

onedawg wrote:

The camera worked fine when I was given it. Dad bought it in April 2007 so it wasn't one of the first ones produced.

The D200 uses a dual channel sensor like the D2X, with 4 lines out to off chip analogue digital conversion, if they are out of balance slightly then banding occurs, this was corrected at the factory and lead to very good quality control in the D200.

I think the sensor is probably OK and moisture has accumulated in the camera maybe even just in the interconnect cables and is cutting off one or more channels.

Send for a service quote.

John

photoeng
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?

I have nothing to add.

Just want to say that's a great baby picture! It made me giggle!

-- hide signature --
 photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
onedawg
Like?
In reply to photoeng, Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for the kind comment. When she was swinging in the swing the EM-5 had trouble focusing on her but the D200 nailed it almost every time.

n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to 28to70, Jul 21, 2012

28to70 wrote:

It must be one of the early D200's that had bad banding problems. This is a bad sensor. The camera is out of warranty, and I bet Nikon will want $1200.00 for a new sensor.

Whatever this is, it is not the banding problem. And before Nikon sees it, we don't know what it is

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?

onedawg wrote:

You can go online to Nikon Service and report the problem. They will probably ask you for one of the bad images, which you will be able to upload to them. Then follow whatever instructions they give you to send the camera back to them.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads