Like?
EOS mirrorless. Is this real?
Jul 20, 2012
Edymagno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,798Gear list
Like?
Re: EOS mirrorless. Is this real?
In reply to Edymagno, Jul 20, 2012

A thing that startles me is that the strap lugs are Hasselblad V style , I've been asking for this during 5 years for the EOS dslr's!
It's really late. I must be having an alfa dream.
Never mind.
Eduardo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Canonero
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
!!!ARGG!!!! Ugly, Ugly

VERY UGLY camera.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,660
Like?
re: EOS-M = a huge disappointment :(

quite clearly it doesn't have a built-in eye-level VF:

perhaps there will be that newfangled concept of plopping
an auxiliary one on the hot-shoe, but for me this is a kludge
solution;
open questions are:

• sensor's size (and whether it will have T4i's on-sensor PDAF)?

• flange distance, and posibility to mount/AF existing EF/EF-S lenses through an adapter?

jpr2
--
~
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/

Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

NC_Glider
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?
In reply to jpr2, Jul 20, 2012

Don't you guys get it, a mirrorless camera is the future. That's why (in my opinion) Canon didn't put it's heart and soul into the 5d3. The camera depicted in this subject link above may not be the replacement, or may not even be real, but it will come in the next year. And that's why I didn't upgrade to a 5d3 from my 5d2.

Richard

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,781Gear list
Like?
In reply to NC_Glider, Jul 20, 2012

I don't think that a mirrorless camera is the future. The AF is lousy. I have two such sytems.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,660
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Jul 20, 2012

indeed, nowhere even close to what we have with even entry level
dSLRs; however, their capacity to focus through EVF in real low
light scenarios is even lousier, I mean MF focusing, so a very
primal usage - nothing fancy, but it is just not possible to see
anything let alone to focus !!

jpr2

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I don't think that a mirrorless camera is the future. The AF is lousy. I have two such sytems.

Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?

The tech is no where near ready to replace a DSLR and the IQ will be no where near a 5D3, if its good Ill get it, we'll see the full specs on Monday, would be fun to see it mounted on a 500 f4

more here http://www.canonrumors.com/

Ross

NC_Glider wrote:

Don't you guys get it, a mirrorless camera is the future. That's why (in my opinion) Canon didn't put it's heart and soul into the 5d3. The camera depicted in this subject link above may not be the replacement, or may not even be real, but it will come in the next year. And that's why I didn't upgrade to a 5d3 from my 5d2.

Richard

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ross Murphy, Jul 20, 2012

looks like it will be aps-c and have on-sensor PDAF
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,046
Like?
and cars will fly

Stripping out a lot of marketing BS word, what is better about mirrorless? Cell phones are smaller. Others have better image quality, better focusing, more shots, more lenses selections, faster FPS, more controls, better viewfinders.

Hey, aside from that they're the future. Just like flying cars were in the 1950's.

NC_Glider wrote:

Richard

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Re: !!!ARGG!!!! Ugly, Ugly
In reply to Canonero, Jul 20, 2012

Canonero wrote:

VERY UGLY camera.

Not very pretty is it. Arguably Canon's design aesthetics have always been a bit lacking, apart from a few notable exceptions such as the original Ixus.

Still do a camera's looks have anything really to do with the pictures it takes.

Also I think this may only be the simpler of two forthcoming mirrorless products from Canon. Perhaps there'll also be one aimed more at enthusiasts?

gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Jul 20, 2012

Mirrorless cameras are in the future, but it is not correct to say that they are the future.

Dan

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Jos van Eekelen
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to gdanmitchell, Jul 20, 2012

Unlikely. The body is simply too thin to provide the correct flange to sensor distance for an EF lens. Let's wait fot the real thing.

meland
Like?
Re: and cars will fly
In reply to tko, Jul 20, 2012

tko wrote:

Stripping out a lot of marketing BS word, what is better about mirrorless? Cell phones are smaller. Others have better image quality, better focusing, more shots, more lenses selections, faster FPS, more controls, better viewfinders.

Hey, aside from that they're the future. Just like flying cars were in the 1950's.

NC_Glider wrote:

Richard

I'm not sure mirrorless is the future for everyone. But the fact that mirrorless now commands 23% of the world interchangeable lens camera market suggests that they appeal to quite a few people. I suspect for many there is an undeniable attraction in a smaller than conventional DSLR sized interchangeable system, especially if the quality is more than acceptable.

meland
Like?
In reply to Jos van Eekelen, Jul 20, 2012

Jos van Eekelen wrote:

Unlikely. The body is simply too thin to provide the correct flange to sensor distance for an EF lens. Let's wait fot the real thing.

In the short term that's theoretically easily solved with an EF to EF-M adapter. But in the long term it would also allow the creation of some smaller sized lenses, especially standards and wide angles, precisely because of the shorter flange to sensor distance and because that enables non-retrofocus designs. Whilst they may not be quite as small as some of the Leica M lenses because of the inclusion of autofocus motors etc., they could still be significantly smaller than EF or EF-S lenses.

Jos van Eekelen
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to meland, Jul 20, 2012

meland wrote:

Jos van Eekelen wrote:

In the short term that's theoretically easily solved with an EF to EF-M adapter. But in the long term it would also allow the creation of some smaller sized lenses, especially standards and wide angles, precisely because of the shorter flange to sensor distance and because that enables non-retrofocus designs. Whilst they may not be quite as small as some of the Leica M lenses because of the inclusion of autofocus motors etc., they could still be significantly smaller than EF or EF-S lenses.

quite right but that does not show in the picture in the original link. See also the canon rumors website. Also: there is a significant colour difference between the body and the lens. Let's see what they come up with on the 23rd of July, whenever that may by.

Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
LOL

NC_Glider wrote:

Richard

Your future maybe.

John_A_G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,203
Like?
Re: and cars will fly
In reply to tko, Jul 20, 2012

tko wrote:

Focusing, number of shots, lens selection, faster fps, viewfinders are all technical hurdles. Interchangeable lens capability still greatly ups the ante on image quality though.

The mirror itself offers very little benefit. We already know focus systems have to change for video performance. There's no real reason why a mirror has to be involved there. The biggest benefit is the view finder. EVF isn't up to OVF now, but it soon will be.

I'll take it another step - say goodbye to APS-C. semi-pro will go full-frame and below that will go smaller-than-APS-C. Why? SIZE. Having a smaller body only really helps if the lenses are smaller too. We're just about at the point where m4/3 sensors are "good enough" for the vast majority of entry level and enthusiast photographers.

The problem with existing DSLRs - and specifically APS-C is they're too bulky. Too many people buy one but then drift back to digicams because a DSLR is too bulky.

For the people that aren't satisfied with those results, you'll still have full-frame cameras. For now, with pentaprisms - but expect in 5 years those are gone too and even professional grade ILCs are mirrorless. There is just no benefit to a mirror/prism that can't be overcome.

It's no different than video. People on this forum screamed video on DSLR was a gimmick and didn't belong on a DSLR. Now, it's standard. And, within a couple more years the AF will be worked out. Same with technical issues related to removing pentaprism / mirror.

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?

NC_Glider wrote:

Richard

We had mirrorless cameras throughout the film era and they did not prevail over the SLR. What is different now all of the sudden? Photography has not changed; photographers have not changed; only the capture medium has changed. Apparently, I don't "get it" so maybe you could explain why you think that doing what seems to amount to “the range finder redux” will somehow produce a new paradigm when it did not before?

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Cineski2
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: EOS mirrorless. Is this real?

Please tell me there's a way to manually control the f/stop and shutter via dials.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads