Who votes for the challenges?

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
Jane S
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Who votes for the challenges?
Jul 20, 2012

Is it just anyone that wants to have a look see? Or is it some sort of more formal judging forum? Not really clear for the casual observer. First time looking here.

Thanks......jane

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?
Re: Who votes for the challenges?
In reply to Jane S, Jul 20, 2012

Anyone that wants but mostly people who are entered in it I would guess.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?

I vote on things that interest me and things that I think I know something about. When I vote, I vote on every entry in the challenge. I never vote in a challenge that I have an entry in (a subject of much discussion but one that seems to be practiced by a lot of people).
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life".

(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
RaptorUK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?

Any DPReview member with an ID is able to vote in the Challenges.

I vote in the Challenges that I enter, I have an interest in them, that is why I entered them, I also have an interest in the subject matter that is why I have a picture to enter in them . . .

For example, I have no idea about the f64 group so I didn't vote in that Challenge, but I do know what a Triumph motorcycle is . . .

I think it is grossly hypocritical for Challenge entrants to enter Challenges and expect everyone else to vote for their entry and then never vote for anyone else in any other Challenge . . . . I'm not even slightly referring to anyone in particular so please don't read anything into my post that isn't explicitly written.

By way of a general illustration, there are members that have entered many hundreds of Challenges and have received many thousands of votes yet have not cast a single vote themselves . . . this in not against any general rules but in principle I think it is just plain wrong.

The ONLY practical way to enforce voting by all Entrants is to make it mandatory to vote in any Challenge that one has entered. Some Hosts are already stipulating this in their Challenge rules . . .

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . http://www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
RuthC
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

Hi Jane, all DPR members can vote in any, or all of the challenges once they reach the Voting period, and that time lasts for one week.

There have been lengthy and heated debates about voting in challenges in which you have an entry. I personally think that if I enter a challenge, I know something about the topic at hand, so I can give a fair knowledgable vote to the other entries. (There are many areas of photography that I know very little about, and expecting me to vote in those challenges with understanding and sympathy would waste everyone's time.... B&W street photography, B&W portraiture, cats, HDR would be examples of this, for me.)

If you decide to vote in any of the challenges, I strongly urge you to do it in the 'Slideshow' mode. Open up any challenge at the first photo, go to the top of the page where it says 'slideshow' and click. You'll then get full screen, and the voting stars are at the bottom of the pictures. Click on the number of stars that YOU think that particular picture deserves. Arrow right to the next shot, and do the same. It's the speediest and best way to see the entries at their best resolution, though you won't be able to see any written comments which are under the photos.

Voting also is a great way of learning about other photographers' approaches to the challenge topic; and after the challenge has finished, it is interesting to see how YOUR votes tallied with the winning entries.
I hope you enjoy getting involved. Ruth

RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 3,063
Like?
In reply to Slynky, Jul 20, 2012

Slynky wrote:

I vote on things that interest me and things that I think I know something about. When I vote, I vote on every entry in the challenge. I never vote in a challenge that I have an entry in (a subject of much discussion but one that seems to be practiced by a lot of people).
--

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life".

I agree with all the above, and do similar. Most or at least some people are honest and can vote in a challenge that have entered, but if the the standard is very high and there is 3 or 4 that could be winners a few rotten votes could make them looses.

Jane S
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
In reply to RuthC, Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for all the information. I've poked around the other forums some, but have never looked here much. I did take the plunge and enter a photo.

It seems to me, that it would be ok to vote in the category that you are entered in. It is a place that you have interest and maybe some knowledge. I understand that voting for yourself is a no no.

I would vote in other categories as well, I may not have the full knowledge of how difficult the photo was to get or post process, but I do understand what moves me.

Like the saying goes..."I know it when I see it."

Jane

Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?

Jane S wrote:

Thanks for all the information. I've poked around the other forums some, but have never looked here much. I did take the plunge and enter a photo.

It seems to me, that it would be ok to vote in the category that you are entered in. It is a place that you have interest and maybe some knowledge. I understand that voting for yourself is a no no.

And, actually, you can't even do it.

I would vote in other categories as well, I may not have the full knowledge of how difficult the photo was to get or post process, but I do understand what moves me.

Like the saying goes..."I know it when I see it."

Jane

-- hide signature --

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?

This article explains the current voting system fairly well. I understand that some changes are under consideration, but that nothing has been implemented as yet.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Help/ChallengesHelp_01.htm

CG33
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrtrent, Jul 20, 2012

I agree 100 % with Slynky, Mike, RaptorUK, Ruth and RossAndrew statements. Even thou Mike Ronesia doesn't like people voting on the challenges they participate, I do. I also prefer people voting on every entry of the challenge.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads