please help with mac video question

Started Jul 20, 2012 | Discussions
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
please help with mac video question
Jul 20, 2012

I'm a novice user of imac.The computer came loaded with imovie but this software doesn't do HD output. I'm not sure whether it would be best for me to buy imovie HD or would you recommend some other software .I'm interested mainly in editing home videos captured with my HD Panasonic camcorder.And yes, my budget is limited. Thank you for your help.
--
Berghof G.C.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,435
Like?
Re: please help with mac video question
In reply to Berghof, Jul 20, 2012

If you just bought a new iMac (not a used one from several years ago), I'm pretty sure that the included version of iMovie would include support for editing HD files. What it might not handle is output to standard-definition DVD-Video (a job handled by the no-longer-included iDVD) or output to Blu-Ray. The iMovie blurb on Apple's Web site seems to assume that everyone wants to upload their final movie instead of getting hard copies.

If you are looking to burn Blu-Ray discs of home videos, you'll probably need to get an external Blu-Ray burner (the iMac's burner is for CDs and DVDs) and something like the most recent version of Toast. Another possibility might be the Mac version of Adobe Premiere Elements, but I forget what HD and disc-burning capabilities it has.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Berghof, Jul 20, 2012

Berghof wrote:

I'm a novice user of imac.The computer came loaded with imovie but this software doesn't do HD output. I'm not sure whether it would be best for me to buy imovie HD or would you recommend some other software .I'm interested mainly in editing home videos captured with my HD Panasonic camcorder.And yes, my budget is limited. Thank you for your help.

You must have an old version of iMovie. The current version of iMovie '11 (9.0.6) can export video up to 1080p.

Its only about $15 in the Mac App Store so for me its a no-brainer.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, Jul 20, 2012

Kind of depends on what you want to do with the HD output. If you edit your HD footage in iMovie, and then you use the "Share" menu to "export" your movie, you can choose up to the full 1920x1080 format. Or you can totally customize your output by exporting via Quicktime. This will give you an HD video file, stored somewhere on your disk. When you double click it, it will play back via Quicktime on your monitor. If you load your movie into iTunes, you can use AirPlay on your iPad or iPhone to play it on your HD TV through your Apple TV gizmo. Or you can download "Air Parrot" and play it through your Apple TV via your iMac. Or you can upload it to a video sharing site (although you are probably going to want to shrink it considerably before doing this).

I suspect though, that you are trying to burn a DVD with the HD video on it. Standard DVDs do not support full HD. They will support a 16:9 format, but only at something like 720 x 367? They are only capable of standard resolution, which you can achieve by exporting a file at SD resolution, and then using the program "Toast" to burn it to a DVD (or somehow find an old copy of iDVD to do this). If you want to really output an HD file, you really only have one choice. Get a BluRay DVD recorder to plug into your iMac. Get "Toast", export an HD movie, use Toast to burn it to the BluRay. Now you have the problem that very few people have a BluRay player, and the DVD you just burnt won't play in a standard DVD player. Also, the disk cost your a lot. So you are limited more by current video technology than what iMovie will or will not do. IF you can explain exactly what you wish to accomplish, we can give you better suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
DVD and HD file
In reply to Alpha Doug, Jul 21, 2012

thanks for your advice, I always thought I can burn any type of file on the DVD disc as long as it fits the disc, so if I create a short HD movie then I believe I should be able to burn it to DVD disc but of course I wouldn't expect this disc to run on a HD player , thank you all for your help
--
Berghof G.C.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,435
Like?
Re: DVD and HD file
In reply to Berghof, Jul 21, 2012

Berghof wrote:

thanks for your advice, I always thought I can burn any type of file on the DVD disc as long as it fits the disc, so if I create a short HD movie then I believe I should be able to burn it to DVD disc but of course I wouldn't expect this disc to run on a HD player

If what you want to do is to burn a data file to a DVD, you can do that. The procedure would be something like:

• Export video from iMovie to a temporary area.

• Insert a blank DVD into the Mac, and let the computer open it with the Finder.

• Drag the file created in the first step to the DVD volume. (At this point, the DVD volume is really just a "files to be burned" list masquerading as a disk volume.)

• Click the button (or select the menu item) to burn the DVD.

Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Jul 22, 2012

The issue here is that if you want to be able to just stick the DVD into a standard DVD player, the limit for resolution is 720x480. Obviously not even near HD quality. However, if you just want to share an HD video movie, in Quicktime format with someone else who will then play the file on their computer, not their DVD player, then you can burn an HD "file" on a standard DVD.
--

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
John C.H.
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Jul 22, 2012

You can, in fact, burn Blu-Ray discs on standard DVDs with Toast to play in Blu-Ray players. I believe you can get about 20 minutes on one. See:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/plugin/overview.html

Hope this helps.
John

Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to John C.H., Jul 22, 2012

Yes you can, but you still have to have a BlueRay player to play it back.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads