S100 Repair Experience

Started Jul 19, 2012 | Discussions
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Really: so few problems to report?
In reply to Kirwin, Aug 25, 2012

I was simply trying to get a tally of the number of cameras actually defective.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,349Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Aug 25, 2012

Carl, I wonder if most who had the lens problem dislike thinking or writing about it? The lens issue is certainly real. There is simply no way I could buy an S100 now. When it is healthy it is a good camera. I hope there is an S200 in the future with a bigger sensor and at minimum the lens issue settled once and for all.

I know it cost a lot more money but we have an RX100 and it is a ton of fun to shoot with. Our S95 and beloved S90 stay in the drawer now. Will the still new RX100 develop lens, screen or sensor dust issues? It is always a possibility and part of the point and shoot camera world's great unknown.

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,629Gear list
Like?
mcshan
In reply to mcshan, Aug 25, 2012

mcshan wrote:

I know it cost a lot more money but we have an RX100 and it is a ton of fun to shoot with.

What do you mean by fun? Does it have features that make it more fun to use than the S series cameras? How do you like the image quality, high ISO performance; shot-to-shot time? Is it worth the extra weight?

Thanks.

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
mcshan
Like?
Re: mcshan
In reply to gail, Aug 25, 2012

Hi Gail, Yes, the camera has more features. I am even using the watercolor/illustation mode and I hate gimmicks. The screen is really good. When set on daylight (rather than "auto") it is the best camera screen I have ever used from the list of cameras in this post. It is the best "auto" point and shoot I have ever used. Even though I loved it I never considered the S90 a great camera in auto mode. I usually shot aperture or P. The Sony has two auto modes and both work well+. Shot to shot time is good+ (I don't shoot sports or kids however). It is really good in low-light. I have not tried it at 3200 etc. but up to 1600 it has been a nice surprise.

I know "fun" is an odd word but the camera is fun to shoot with. I remember having the same feeling getting and using the S90 (by the S95 I knew what to expect) when it first came out. We have an LX3, G11, S90+95, X1, EPL1 and G1X yet the RX100 is the first thing I grab when we are going for a drive. It is heavier than the two S series we have but I quickly got used to it because it is still small.

You can tell I am very fond of the RX100. This is my first Sony in 25 years so it isn't coming from a fanboy. The G1X really IS terrific, the X1 can take amazing photos but the RX100 is my new take everywhere camera. On vacation we took the G1X and RX100 (arthritis has ended my large DSLR days) and thought we had pretty much every shooting situation covered.

gail
Like?
In reply to mcshan, Aug 25, 2012

Thanks so much for your reply!

mcshan wrote:

the X1 can take amazing photos but the RX100 is my new take everywhere camera. On vacation we took the G1X and RX100

How is the high ISO performance of the RX100 compared to the G1x and the S series cameras that you own? Is the shot-to-shot time better than both?

Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
mcshan
Like?
In reply to gail, Aug 26, 2012

I would say the G1X is better at high ISO shots but considering sensor size not a huge surprise there. Shot to shot seems pretty much the same with the S series. I can't imagine a happy S shooter not liking the RX100.

mcshan
Like?
Attn Gail
In reply to mcshan, Aug 26, 2012

Gail, I just added some non flash (somewhat) lower light shots. Two are the mall tonight and another is our local post office a night or so ago. Lastly there is a shot in the pet food aisle again a night or so ago. Needless to say these are not posted as art etc. but rather proof that I carry the camera everywhere. Having only had the camera two or three weeks I have been trying to figure out how it will do in a variety of situations.

The two from the mall were tonight and both on auto (possibly "superior auto" where two shots are combined BUT no tripod etc. needed). These are legitimate straight from camera downloads...not even brightness has been adjusted. Nothing has been touched. I believe the post office was auto but I am not sure (could be the low light "scene" setting to try it out..I just can't remember). The pet food aisle shot: I turned down brightness in pp but only because I was surprised that the shot almost had a bokeh effect with the closer items sharper than the far end of the row.

Found an older amusement park ride shot so I'll throw that in the mix too.

All of these shots were basically out of curiosity on how the camera would handle the various shooting situations at hand. The pet aisle was colorful and I thought the camera did a good job. I'm certain if I handed the RX100 to a grandchild (etc) with it set on auto a high percentage of shots would be pretty good.

I know you didn't ask for these but thought you might find the shooting conditions interesting.

BTW: Not trying to hijack a camera repair thread so please all others accept my apology. Just wanted to show Gail some examples.

The S series are good cameras. I loved my S90 but there is another choice or two out there with the RX100 being the most recent.

rowlandw
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Aug 26, 2012

Mine broke several days ago and in to Canon it went.

rowlandw's gear list:rowlandw's gear list
Olympus C-3020 Zoom Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +5 more
PanaNewbie
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Aug 27, 2012

The search function is your friend, search on s100 error for example. Another good resource is Amazon and you can view all of the one star or two star ratings as of those people generally had an error or problem with it. You can then do a very rough approximation and figure if there are hundred and 75 reviews and 25lens errors you can see that it's a relatively higher than comfortable ratio.

skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Story of my S100
In reply to CameraCarl, Aug 28, 2012

So I'm an S100 user residing in Malaysia (hot and humid place). I bought my camera in the 4th of March, 2012. Was a happy consumer. My camera's serial number was within the 'could be affected' range.

http://support-my.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?fuseaction=support&prod_type=notices-digitalcameras-powershots100

On the 24th of July, 2012, I was in a football stadium watching a game when I first saw the lens error message. A press of the power button solved it, and the camera functioned back to normal. I ignored the event.

The next time I saw the message was on the 28th of August, 2012. I was in a park at night, and the lens error was in full force. This time the lens really could not retract, and when I hit the power button...

1) Rapid clicking sounds
2) Start up screen appears + 6 beep sounds.
3) Lens error message:

Lens Error
Will shut down automatically
Restart camera

I am sending it to Canon's "Corporate Head Office, Showroom & Service Centre" first thing in the morning tomorrow. Good thing it's not terribly far away from where I live.

Will keep it posted on this thread.

skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
gail
Like?
Re: Attn Gail
In reply to mcshan, Aug 28, 2012

Thanks so much for sharing the information and sample photos. The RX100 does a very nice job. Up to ISO 800, it seems to be on par with my S100, at least to my eyes. I looked at some higher ISO images at pbase. The s100 can't touch the quality of the RX100 at ISO 3200!
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

skisagooner
Like?
Re: Story of my S100
In reply to skisagooner, Aug 29, 2012

So I just came back from the Canon place. Sat down and talked with the woman at the counter.

Here's a summary of our conversation.

1) It'll take a minimum of 10 working days to fix it. Then I'd have to go back there and collect it. Delivery would cost 30 MYR. ( 10 USD)

2) The defected part inside will be replaced, not repaired.

3) I asked for the camera to be replaced with one that is without the 'affected' serial number. Not possible.

4) I asked if they could guarantee that the same error will not happen again after the repair. They couldn't guarantee.

5) I asked how many S100 lens error cases they have handled. About 50, she said.

6) I said out of those cases, how many came back to repair it for a second time. About 2, she said.

Am really NOT assured about the whole thing. Any thoughts?

Canon PowerShot S100
PanaNewbie
Like?
In reply to skisagooner, Aug 30, 2012

It seems like the numbers have been dropping... but like you, it will always be in the back of my head now when on vacations. Will it fail? Just not a pleasant experience owning this "high end" product, in fear of it failing....

Yours may not get that error a 2nd time, but you could be unlucky in repair like Gail was and it comes back out of focus. That would just about put me over the edge

skisagooner wrote:

So I just came back from the Canon place. Sat down and talked with the woman at the counter.

Here's a summary of our conversation.

1) It'll take a minimum of 10 working days to fix it. Then I'd have to go back there and collect it. Delivery would cost 30 MYR. ( 10 USD)

2) The defected part inside will be replaced, not repaired.

3) I asked for the camera to be replaced with one that is without the 'affected' serial number. Not possible.

4) I asked if they could guarantee that the same error will not happen again after the repair. They couldn't guarantee.

5) I asked how many S100 lens error cases they have handled. About 50, she said.

6) I said out of those cases, how many came back to repair it for a second time. About 2, she said.

Am really NOT assured about the whole thing. Any thoughts?

skisagooner
Like?
In reply to PanaNewbie, Aug 30, 2012

PanaNewbie wrote:

Yours may not get that error a 2nd time, but you could be unlucky in repair like Gail was and it comes back out of focus. That would just about put me over the edge

I did ask about what would happen is there any mistakes made during the repair... and all she said was... that it's unlikely.

Really, everything she said to me was not very reassuring.

Canon PowerShot S100
gail
Like?
In reply to skisagooner, Aug 30, 2012

skisagooner wrote:

PanaNewbie wrote:

I did ask about what would happen is there any mistakes made during the repair... and all she said was... that it's unlikely.

I don't recall saying that. Are you sure it was me? If so, please give me a link to the post.

There have been, unfortunately, a number of S100 owners who have said their camera had to go back for a second repair, including my own. Yes, it is very unsettling. Since Canon will not replace our cameras that have the affected serial numbers, there is not much we can do except to always have a backup camera for important events.
--

PanaNewbie
Like?
In reply to gail, Aug 30, 2012

Whoops my bad, I thought your 2nd issue was a focus one, it was the LCD issue. Someone had mentioned getting it back from repair and then it stopped focusing, but that wasn't you - sorry about that!

gail wrote:

I don't recall saying that. Are you sure it was me? If so, please give me a link to the post.

There have been, unfortunately, a number of S100 owners who have said their camera had to go back for a second repair, including my own. Yes, it is very unsettling. Since Canon will not replace our cameras that have the affected serial numbers, there is not much we can do except to always have a backup camera for important events.
--

BillCat
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Aug. 13 shipped, return date Aug. 30
In reply to CameraCarl, Aug 31, 2012

I'm in California near San Jose and used the Irvine center. It seems to work fine now. They reset my camera settings so I had to set up things again.

-- hide signature --

-Bill

skisagooner
Like?
In reply to gail, Aug 31, 2012

gail wrote:

That is ludicrous. Two buyers walk into the same shop and buy the same camera and one is defected, and Canon says you can't replace it.

Really, I applaud Canon for at least acknowledging the issue and offering free repairs, and that'd have sufficed if they can guarantee that the same error would not happen again. But they can't. And rightly so, looking at the number of second cases on the Internet.

In my opinion, those who went to Canon because of a second lens error deserves a full one-to-one replacement. They deserve that peace of mind. Canon have caused enough inconvenience, and I think they are a company big enough to offer such a thing.

Canon PowerShot S100
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Gail
In reply to gail, Aug 31, 2012

Hi Gail,

How is your S100 now? Have they fixed it? Mine is still working just fine, but these stories make me nervous.
--
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +16 more
gail
Like?
Re: Gail
In reply to Alastair Norcross, Aug 31, 2012

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Hi Gail,

How is your S100 now? Have they fixed it? Mine is still working just fine, but these stories make me nervous.

It's after 6 p.m EST here, and I have not received my camera. I will keep you posted once I receive it. Darn, according to the tracking info, I was supposed to receive my S100 by this time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads