Can you recommend a dye sub printer for..

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions
byawk
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Can you recommend a dye sub printer for..
Jul 17, 2012

We're looking into getting a dye sub printer to be used primarily in a photo booth, so speed and economy are big factors. However, it would also really help us if the same printer could also print onto CDs or CD labels. Does anyone know of a printer that can do both reasonably well? Even if we had to buy an extra accessory (say a CD tray), it'd be worthwhile.

Here are a few printers we've been looking at so far, but I don't know if any of them could do CDs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615086-REG/HiTi_Hi_Touch_Imaging_Tech_88_D0935_00A_P510S_6_Dye.html#pr-header-615086

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770287-REG/Dnp_DS40_DS_40_Professional_Photo.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839312-REG/Dnp_900_921_RX1_Dye_Sub_Color_Photo.html

Any insights would be welcome!

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,677Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you recommend a dye sub printer for..
In reply to byawk, Jul 17, 2012

Dyesub printers generally need specially formulated media for the dye to transfer properly (the media has a dye receiving layer). Unless you can find dyesub receiver cut in a format to make CD/DVD labels, you're unlikely to be able to print dyesub disk labels. I doubt that you will find a dyesub printer that can print directly onto disks.

When I worked for Kodak on their line of thermal printers, they were experimenting with adhesive backed thermal receiver, so it can be done. The question is whether there is a sufficient market for it for a manufacturer to bring out a disk label product.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
byawk
Like?
And a second question
In reply to Bob Collette, Jul 18, 2012

Thank you!

I actually have a second question I just thought of. We have a photobooth client who would like us to print 2x6" film strips and then adhere those prints to a guestbook. The printers we're looking at can handle the 2x6", but I was looking for suggestions on adhering the prints to the guestbook. Do you know of any good dye sub printers that use a paper with a peel-off adhesive backing? Or if not that, is there any other type of product (double-sided tape, glue, etc) you'd recommend for adhering the photos?

Thanks again!

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,677Gear list
Like?
Re: And a second question
In reply to byawk, Jul 18, 2012

Unfortunately, I don't know of any peel-off adhesive receiver. As I mentioned, Kodak had developed a peel-off adhesive receiver, however it was designed to be compatible with their line of thermal printers and ribbons. Thermal printing systems are just that: systems. The ribbon, receiver, and printer all have to be designed to be compatible with each other. In other words, you can't take a receiver that is made by one company for one printing system and necessarily have it work satisfactorily in another system.

I don't have any experience with adhesives that are compatible with dyesub prints. However, I suspect that double-sided tape will be better than a liquid adhesive. My concern is that the liquid adhesive would migrate through the receiver backing and attack the dye layer.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
byawk
Like?
Re: And a second question
In reply to Bob Collette, Jul 19, 2012

Thanks a lot for the help, Bob! I appreciate it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads