RX100 video IQ impressive

Started Jul 16, 2012 | Discussions
satureyes
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Rx100 vs older camcorders
In reply to Markr041, Jul 18, 2012

just wondering if the rx100 trumps slightly older camcorders. I have a handycam HDR-TG7 and trying to figure out if I should sell it and put towards the RX100.

Heres what it looks like:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/HDR-TG7VE/specifications

It's about 2/3 years old now but I still love the form factor and it's simplicity. I assume the audio would still be better even on an old camcorder and the zooming probably easier but for IQ I am interested in how it compares. From the specs my camcorder has I think16Mbps recording at 1080i so apart from progressive and a slightly higher bitrate I am not sure the RX100 would be so much better?

Perhaps some of you could help me?

Rick

-- hide signature --

feed | your | minds | eye
http://www.satureyes.com
twitter: @satureyes

satureyes's gear list:satureyes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Markr041
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 vs older camcorders
In reply to satureyes, Jul 18, 2012

"just wondering if the rx100 trumps slightly older camcorders. I have a handycam HDR-TG7 and trying to figure out if I should sell it and put towards the RX100.

Heres what it looks like:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/HDR-TG7VE/specifications

It's about 2/3 years old now but I still love the form factor and it's simplicity. I assume the audio would still be better even on an old camcorder and the zooming probably easier but for IQ I am interested in how it compares. From the specs my camcorder has I think16Mbps recording at 1080i so apart from progressive and a slightly higher bitrate I am not sure the RX100 would be so much better?

Perhaps some of you could help me? "

There is a perfect replacement for you: The new Sony HDR-GW77. It has the exact same form-factor as the TG7, but the performance is way superior in the quality of the video, the zoom, the audio - evrything. It does 108060p ar 28Mbps. It's video is superior (except perhaps in very dim light) to the RX100 in the form factor you like (and it is waterproof!).

See the GW77 thread on this camera in the forum on "Digital Video." There are example videos there that you can download.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
satureyes
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Re: Rx100 vs older camcorders
In reply to Markr041, Jul 18, 2012

Markr041 wrote:

There is a perfect replacement for you: The new Sony HDR-GW77. It has the exact same form-factor as the TG7, but the performance is way superior in the quality of the video, the zoom, the audio - evrything. It does 108060p ar 28Mbps. It's video is superior (except perhaps in very dim light) to the RX100 in the form factor you like (and it is waterproof!).

See the GW77 thread on this camera in the forum on "Digital Video." There are example videos there that you can download.

Ah- but I don't want to replace my camcorder with another. I am in the market for a high end compact and was hoping to just use the RX100 instead of my camcorder.

Trying to cut down on baggage...

-- hide signature --

feed | your | minds | eye
http://www.satureyes.com
twitter: @satureyes

satureyes's gear list:satureyes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
shawnfb
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 video IQ impressive
In reply to javafool, Sep 16, 2012

sorry.. that was a crappy response...

shawn

shawnfb's gear list:shawnfb's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
RyanNoah
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to Flashback, Sep 16, 2012

I think the RX100's 60p video looks fantastic. From the candid, unedited stuff people post on youtube, vimeo, etc., the quality of the video is incredible. I have a Sony A57 and use the 18-55mm kit lens, which does fine for video, but for some reason, I cannot get that same sharpness from it like the RX100 does.

8140david
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to RyanNoah, Sep 16, 2012

1) I find the image quality of the videos excellent in avchd.
But then the files are so big, it becomes very hard to share them!

(And if you record in the smallest format, so as to have managable files, then quality becomes much less impressive.)

2) Sound is less satisfactory, I find:
You can hear too many things, including the zoom....
Has anyone met the same problem?

8140david's gear list:8140david's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 20D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads