some pics taken with TG-1

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions
karlwitt
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
some pics taken with TG-1
Jul 13, 2012

just some pics to share. macro super macro and some action. most needed color saturation adjust and all are off hand pics around the garden and camper

karlwitt's gear list:karlwitt's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,943Gear list
Like?
Re: some pics taken with TG-1
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 13, 2012

These are nice pics, especially for an all-terrain P&S. What settings were you using? When you mention saturation tweaks, turning it up or down? Thanks.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
karlwitt
Like?
In reply to geoffmalter, Jul 13, 2012

more saturation I let the camera do its thing and played with macro modes, flash on off and fill I think most of these are at the 8 mp setting. I am very new with the camera and just getting back into it more manual part of the hobby. I am hoping that the telephoto will allow better distance with less noise we will see. I know its not a DSLR but for now I thought it would be the best fit for what I do and still be able to play around a bit.

Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
montrealcanada45
Regular MemberPosts: 326
Like?

Great shots - i really love the effect of number 4, it looks as if it they were in an ocean..nice !
--
Luc - EPL-1 + 14-42 http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucmontreal

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,954Gear list
Like?

These are good shots, there is no need to apologise for using the TG-1.

It is what you have done with it that counts.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
karlwitt
Like?
In reply to Henry Falkner, Jul 13, 2012

when I was doing some close ups I could not believe what detail that the camera picks up. I know there may be some that don't like bug pics but check out the wing structure on this dragon fly. really gave me an idea of the depth of field and what detail the camera would give me. this pic is not touched up and the camera was at 8 mp. I am new to this forum and am not sure you can do it but if you can zoom on this pic try zooming down as far as it will let you and really look at the detail. It is truly unreal.

geoffmalter
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 14, 2012

karlwitt wrote:

when I was doing some close ups I could not believe what detail that the camera picks up. I know there may be some that don't like bug pics but check out the wing structure on this dragon fly. really gave me an idea of the depth of field and what detail the camera would give me. this pic is not touched up and the camera was at 8 mp. I am new to this forum and am not sure you can do it but if you can zoom on this pic try zooming down as far as it will let you and really look at the detail. It is truly unreal.

This is really nice! When I asked you earlier about saturation, I did so because as a new TG-1 owner, I read some comments including one review that complained about the "flatness" and subpar saturation of colors produced by OOC stills, especially with yellows and greens. This has not been my experience, as demonstrated by the following pics, using iAUTO, I took this afternoon straight OOC:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +4 more
karlwitt
Like?
In reply to geoffmalter, Jul 14, 2012

I have mostly used P mode so I can changs a few things... I will try auto today and see how the sat is. Your pics look nice and clear with good color.

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 15, 2012

A few more.

aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 16, 2012

Hi - i really like that 4th picture - very nice composition - and the speed/reflection shots are ok for a compact that is purported to be 'limited' in its settings. Hope you continue to have fun with it.
--
Aloha,
jan/aja
FCAS Member #128, Oly Division
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=14354990
http://aja2.deviantart.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmitchell_photography/

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to aja2, Jul 16, 2012

I just can't get away from those closeups. I did get a hummingbird in flight so you can see there is some wing blur. Still playing.

geoffmalter
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 16, 2012

Karl, another good set. I like the wing blur, as it adds to the pic's "story".

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to geoffmalter, Jul 16, 2012

I got the accessory lenses today so I will be taking some pics and showing here.

aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 17, 2012

Next time, try shooting with the light behind you - the CA is pretty bad in that shot of the humming bird. Shooting into the light with all those tree limbs, etc. makes it worse. Otherwise, it's a good try!
--
Aloha,
jan/aja
FCAS Member #128, Oly Division
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=14354990
http://aja2.deviantart.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmitchell_photography/

Salvador Moreno
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 17, 2012

Hi, can you say me if the camera have the possiblity to compensate the exposition like slr or advanced compact cameras?

I've see that do not hava S, A or M modes but I have not read anything about this.

Thanks in advance!

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to Salvador Moreno, Jul 17, 2012

It does have some manual functions but not as many as DSLR would have. You may be able to download the complete manual for the camera from Olympus and find out what you are looking for. I am no expert by any stretch but I can say I am having fun with the camera and love it so far for closeup pics macro and super macro are great.

I just got the tele converter and the fisheye and will be fooling with those also. I am finding that the digital zoom is kinda noisy with most or the pictures I have taken wih it so I am thinking of disabling it. There are some very cool thing the camera does in the magic mode and I will share some of those. This is like an ongoing test of the camera for me so I am kinda using this forum as a sounding board to get comments from people that know what they see in a pic. Ok now for the fun..these are a few pics taken with tele converter. My cat checking out the new lens. The one with the dark circle is going below where the camera sets the base zoom when you set the camera for the optional lenses. kind of a cool affect for framing the picture I think. The cat was very close to the lens maybe 12" and with the teleconverter it does let you use macro but not super macro. I was in macro mode for cat.

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 18, 2012

Does anyone know if a polarizing filter will take some of the wash out of the pics and do they even make a 40.5mm size?

karlwitt
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 24, 2012

A few more playing with the tele converter lens. These are with Magic pop art and tele converter 2 of them pop art one not to see diff

geoffmalter
Like?
In reply to karlwitt, Jul 24, 2012

karlwitt wrote:

Does anyone know if a polarizing filter will take some of the wash out of the pics and do they even make a 40.5mm size?

Karl, there are plenty of 40.5mm filters, including NDs. Recommend that you get a circular polarizer for adjustment. Don't know where you are, but check out B&H Photo or Amazon online. Tiffen brand is good and reasonably priced. Made in USA too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads