Sony A57 OR Nikon D5100?

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions
Nazeer Halawani
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Sony A57 OR Nikon D5100?
Jul 13, 2012

Been confused, VERY confused lately with both choices of the D5100 and the A57.
Here goes the Dilemma,
They BOTH have the same of each:

• sensor size

• price range (in my location at least)

• resolution

• dimensions/weight

then there are the differences:

• The Sony is newer than the Nikon

• The Sony has the translucent mirror technology (thus 12fps, shooting while rec, etc..)

• Nikon has much more amount of history and user satsifaction

• Nikon, alongside with Canon, are pillars to the world of photography

• etc etc..

Help? Anyone?

-- hide signature --
 Nazeer Halawani's gear list:Nazeer Halawani's gear list
Nikon D3000 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +1 more
Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,324
Like?
Re: Sony A57 OR Nikon D5100?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 13, 2012

Get a couple of small pieces of paper. Write the name of one camera on one piece and the name of the second on the other piece. Fold the papers and put them in a hat. Shake the hat and draw one piece of paper from the hat with your eyes closed. The one you pick is the one you should buy.

Honestly, they are both fine cameras that will help you produce some nice photos.
--
Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Miller, Jul 13, 2012
 KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
Nazeer Halawani
Like?
In reply to KCook, Jul 13, 2012

unfortunately this has dragged me into more confusion.
HEEEEEEEEELP!!
--
The Dusty Wyndow: http://dustywyndow.blogspot.com

Nikon D3000 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +1 more
KCook
Like?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 13, 2012

Heh! I was afraid of that. If you expect to eventually go nutz with lenses and / or flash then stick strictly to Canon and Nikon. If you just want to have fun, with basic gear, Sony will be fine. I started out with a Sony DSLR for the nice price. Learned plenty with it, no regrets for that phase of my practice. Later switched to Canon. In no hurry to return to Sony, but that's just me.

Kelly

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,684Gear list
Like?
Do you own any lenses yet ?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 14, 2012

If not, the Sony, especially with the upcoming 18-135 kit lens.
SLT is the better system and it's mature in the @57.
You should study the SLT results being obtained here
in the Sony and Sony SLR forums.
Otherwise, opinions here will go directly along ownership lines.

Above all you should handle both cameras
with a selection of lenses fitted,
one might match your personal
ergonomics better than the other.

Both will take staggering pictures.
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
Nazeer Halawani
Like?
Re: Do you own any lenses yet ?
In reply to Ron Poelman, Jul 14, 2012

Thank you for the precious hints

Actually last night a friend of mine pointed out that a Sony owner with a few lenses in hands can (or will) stay lonely compared to the whole population of nikon users who often switch lenses for experimentation and trying out new possibilities.

I guess that's a major issue as far as i'm concerned
--

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,684Gear list
Like?
Re: major issue

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sony&ci=15492&N=4288584250+4291215468
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp
Not to mention a host of cheap adapters for other brands
M42 for one.

-- hide signature --

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57
KCook
Like?

Nazeer Halawani wrote:

Actually last night a friend of mine pointed out that a Sony owner with a few lenses in hands can (or will) stay lonely compared to the whole population of nikon users who often switch lenses for experimentation and trying out new possibilities.

--

This may depend on the culture? Here in the USA owning a Canon or Nikon does not mean you will automatically be a magnet for Canon or Nikon owners offering to loan their lenses. But if you find a local club, expect to find a lot more Canon or Nikon users there, at least in the USA. There are basic items for Sony that will match Canon and Nikon. But you will have to beat the bushes more to find sellers for these items. Everybody in the camera biz sells either Canon or Nikon, it not both.

Kelly

1eyedjack
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
In reply to KCook, Jul 14, 2012

Don't forget that Sony has Stabilizer built into camera body, therefor there
"very good" lenses are less expensive than Nikon's..

1eyedjack's gear list:1eyedjack's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony SLT-A35 +1 more
003tvd
Contributing MemberPosts: 697
Like?
In reply to 1eyedjack, Jul 14, 2012

"friends don't let friends buy Sony" to paraphrase an old drinking and (not) driving commercial. Just my Nikon bias, however.

TimeTrial
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 15, 2012

Hi,

I had the same dilema last week as my Samsung GX1S died on me and I needed a new camera in a hurry. It was late in the evening and the only camera shop nearby was a Jessops and they had the Nikon 5100, 3200, Sony A57 all in stock (No Pentax mount cameras though ) and I had a play with all 3.

The D5100 just felt better in my hands so I bought it, even thought it was an older model than the D3200 and the A57 and so far I am very pleased with it, no regrets. It came with a kit lense of 18-105 which seems nice enough.

Cheers.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 16, 2012

Unless you have a friend (professional or advanced amateur) who has a lens you want to use and you can't afford buying one and moreover, unless that specific friend is willing to lend you his expensive lens (which is unlikely particularly if he is a pro), all fancy Nikon lenses out there owned by other people are out of your reach. You can only dream of having them unless you can afford buying them yourself.

Really, vast majority of people (%99) around me who own Canon or Nikon, have a simple zoom lens or at best 1-2 fixed focal lens (a 50mm say). None of their lenses is worth asking them to lend it and even otherwise, they are mostly reluctant to do so.

There is an advantage of buying a Nikon though: you can always think good about your purchase because you see everybody around you does so and they do not look at your camera down but even admire you for what you have and even may compliment you for being like a professional photographer which certainly boosts your ego or at least, make you feel you did not make a mistake in purchasing your camera. However, owning Nikon or any other brand will not make you a good photographer. You may continue to take mediocre to banal pictures whether your camera is a Nikon, Canon or Sony because you failed to focus on your skills and failed to spend adequate time to learn.

But otherwise, these two cameras can both be good tools in your hands if you decide to focus on the output of your efforts rather than the tool itself.

Ramin

Nazeer Halawani wrote:

--

Nazeer Halawani
Like?
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 17, 2012

what about the fixed mirror Vs. the usual one issue?

I've been hearing about the problems with Sony's translucent mirror, such as mirror cleaning difficulties and of course the famous EVF instead of the OVF. Any recommendations about this? This is getting really tricky..
--

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

You better post these questions in the Sony SLR forum where many actual owners of TSLR cameras can answer your questions from their own personal experience.

Nazeer Halawani wrote:

what about the fixed mirror Vs. the usual one issue?

I've been hearing about the problems with Sony's translucent mirror, such as mirror cleaning difficulties and of course the famous EVF instead of the OVF. Any recommendations about this? This is getting really tricky..
--

JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327Gear list
Like?

EVF versus OVF is a highly subjective personal decision.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any EVF cams. If I am shooting moving objects or dim rooms, I find and EVF doesn't work well for me. But thats me. Perhaps it will be fine for you.

Both cameras have decent sensors and lots of choice for lenses. The Nikon 18-105 is a particularly good value.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Nazeer Halawani
Like?
Great News!
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Jul 24, 2012

Great News People!
After much research and consultation, Winner is: Nikon D5100

I'll be buying this sucker in a few days now
Thanks for all the tips and advice
--

embarkr
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Great News!
In reply to Nazeer Halawani, Dec 30, 2012

Any regrets on the d5100 purchase?  I'm making the same decision myself (d5100 vs a57).

Paul C
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to embarkr, Dec 30, 2012

I was (still am...not bought yet) in a similar position but at the end of the day, I narrowed down the list of manufacturers for a DSLR to Canon and Nikon. The reason being, these manufacturers have been making cameras for a long time, and aren't going anywhere soon, or about to 'change tack' and go off on a new technology.

Also regarding the Sony translucent mirror: I shoot in low light situations. There seems to be an inherent wrongness in putting something in between the lens and the sensor, which only allows a percentage of that light through. I know it gives advantages on live preview, video, different types of focusing, etc but I'll stick with the established technology just for now.

I'll probably also be buying a D5100 soon too, its just a question of money etc...

goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul C, Dec 30, 2012
I have now a EVF camera (Sony A77) and am really glad to use it in dim conditions and night shooting. If somebody tries to tell me that he needs an OVF for that he shows that he has no idea about that. After more than 30 years of film SLRs I did twice the change to EVF and did not regret it.
 goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads