Need improptu wide angle solution (10 mm or wider)

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions
TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,100
Like?
Need improptu wide angle solution (10 mm or wider)
Jul 12, 2012

I have to shoot some tight interiors and need a lens solution. My 12-60 isn't wide enough.

I don't want a fisheye, but a rectilinear solution. I can't rent any Oly lenses in SF, and I have no time to buy one.

Are there any options? Even a wide-converter on the 12-60 may work, if there's one that doesn't introduce a whole lot of distortion.

Images are for Web use, so optical quality is not super-critical.

Any suggestions?

Oh, has anybody in the SF Bay Area tried borrowlenses.com? They rent Oly lenses.

Bob tucker
Forum ProPosts: 11,437
Like?
Re: Need improptu wide angle solution (10 mm or wider)
In reply to TheEye, Jul 12, 2012

Hi.Olympus has a 9-18 wide zoom that's a pretty good lens for not a lot of money Cheers Bob.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ayt
ayt
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?
In reply to TheEye, Jul 13, 2012

why not stitch multiple shots into a panorama?

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +37 more
TheEye
Like?
Don't want to buy 4/3 lenses at this point
In reply to Bob tucker, Jul 13, 2012

Unless I know the AF issues of 4/3 lenses on m4/3 will be addressed in a satisfactory manner, I'm not buying any further 4/3 lenses.

I could rent the 9-18 from the place I mentioned, but then I'd rather go with the 7-14. My guess is that I will rent the latter.

TheEye
Like?
In reply to ayt, Jul 13, 2012

ayt wrote:

why not stitch multiple shots into a panorama?

It's not only about horizontal but also about verticle coverage. I also don't want to futz around with stitching.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,116Gear list
Like?
11-22 mm wide angle or pano solution for interiors

I know you asked for 10 mm but Olympus doesn't make one. The HG 11-22 mm lens is sharper and has less distortion at the wide end than the 12-60 or the 9-18 lenses do.

The post above about stitching images in a panorama is a good one. But for an interior pano you need to find the nodal point of the lens at that focal length. You'll need a nodal rail and a tripod level. Acratech makes a good level and RRS has a good nodal rail. They're both in California so shipping could be quick.
Links about nodal rails:
http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorials/360/photo/nodal.html
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114189
--
Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: 11-22 mm wide angle or pano solution for interiors
In reply to dave gaines, Jul 13, 2012

And the 11-22mm is closer to 10mm than the 11mm specified, being a 2X zoom the distortion is minimal and it's sharp across the range.

Rgds, Rob

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
TheEye
Like?
What's wrong with the 7-14?
In reply to Banger, Jul 13, 2012

Banger wrote:

And the 11-22mm is closer to 10mm than the 11mm specified, being a 2X zoom the distortion is minimal and it's sharp across the range.

Rgds, Rob
--

This is for fairly small images used on a Web site.

TheEye
Like?
Re: 11-22 mm wide angle or pano solution for interiors

dave gaines wrote:

I know you asked for 10 mm but Olympus doesn't make one. The HG 11-22 mm lens is sharper and has less distortion at the wide end than the 12-60 or the 9-18 lenses do.

The post above about stitching images in a panorama is a good one. But for an interior pano you need to find the nodal point of the lens at that focal length. You'll need a nodal rail and a tripod level. Acratech makes a good level and RRS has a good nodal rail. They're both in California so shipping could be quick.
Links about nodal rails:
http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorials/360/photo/nodal.html
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114189
--
Dave

For my budget-minded client this is not an option. Thanks for the links, though!

HACY
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?

TheEye wrote:

It's not only about horizontal but also about verticle coverage. I also don't want to futz around with stitching.

That is your loss. Taking panorama 12mm but camera in portrait position, the vertical field of view is the same as single landscape shot with 9mm lens.

You can also tilt camera up or down around nodal point and build multi row panoramas for more vertical coverage. Easily done with Hugin (and free).

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,116Gear list
Like?
Good interior photos do not come cheap

TheEye wrote:

For my budget-minded client this is not an option. Thanks for the links, though!

Good photography is not low-budget. If you bring the SHG 7-14 mm f/4 lens or purchase a new 11-22 mm lens for the job, you can't do it for cheap. If you do a pano then there's lots of equipment required and more time in shooting and post processing.

If your client is low-budget, offer them more views at 14 mm (28 mm EFL) that he can post on his web ad. Be sure you get a fair rate. If he wants Ultra Wide Angle images, requiring a 7 to 10 mm lens, or pano shots requiring all the gear I described above, plus considerable lighting experience, he needs to pay what it's worth.

You've gotten several good ideas from everyone here. None of them are low-budget, except maybe the 9-18 mm lens, which is still not cheap. And now we realize you're shooting with a m4/3, which limits the usefulness of some of the 4/3 HG and SHG lenses for other applications that require quick focus.

If they want it for cheap you have to shoot it with what you have and charge a fair price for your effort. Don't give it away for free, otherwise the rest of us can't earn a fair rate.
--
Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?
Re: What's wrong with the 7-14?

TheEye wrote:

I'd be you I'd get any of the Samyang 8mm clones (Opteka, etc) which is a fish eye on APS-C but less so in the center, for under $300, then straighten out the edges in some simple PP.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to HACY, Jul 13, 2012

I wouldnt be so sure a pano would work out in a small space, say like a bathroom. Its fine for distant subjects, but close up can be very problematical. Ive done panos of large rooms back in my 11-22 days, and sometimes it was a bit nightmareish when furnishings were unavoidably close

realistically his options are renting buying or borrowing lenses

for which 7-14 is ideal for bathroom size projects as it will get all 3 corners in shot, his choice to reduce from there... Or 9-18 which is fine in itself.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
TheEye
Like?
Re: Good interior photos do not come cheap

dave gaines wrote:

TheEye wrote:

Good photography is not low-budget.

That depends on the type of photography.

If you bring the SHG 7-14 mm f/4 lens or purchase a new 11-22 mm lens for the job, you can't do it for cheap.

Who said I was doing it for cheap? Renting the 7-14 is no issue. It costs only $54 (for 3 days).

If you do a pano then there's lots of equipment required and more time in shooting and post processing.

Again, it's not within my client's budget. So I'm not considering panos.

If your client is low-budget, offer them more views at 14 mm (28 mm EFL) that he can post on his web ad.

I've said repeatedly the client had a low budget.

Be sure you get a fair rate.

I always do.

If he wants Ultra Wide Angle images, requiring a 7 to 10 mm lens, or pano shots requiring all the gear I described above, plus considerable lighting experience, he needs to pay what it's worth.

See about the budget.

You've gotten several good ideas from everyone here. None of them are low-budget, except maybe the 9-18 mm lens, which is still not cheap.

I said I wasn't going to buy any 4/3 lens at this time of uncertainty. Renting a lens is no problem.

And now we realize you're shooting with a m4/3, which limits the usefulness of some of the 4/3 HG and SHG lenses for other applications that require quick focus.

I'm not shooting with a m4/3.

If they want it for cheap you have to shoot it with what you have and charge a fair price for your effort.

I don't work "for cheap." They will get for what they pay.

Don't give it away for free, otherwise the rest of us can't earn a fair rate.
--
Dave

Thanks for implying I'm wrecking everybody's photography business by being a low-bid snapper, Dave.

TheEye
Like?
In reply to HACY, Jul 13, 2012

HACY wrote:

TheEye wrote:

That is your loss. Taking panorama 12mm but camera in portrait position, the vertical field of view is the same as single landscape shot with 9mm lens.

You can also tilt camera up or down around nodal point and build multi row panoramas for more vertical coverage. Easily done with Hugin (and free).

I'm not getting paid for doing panos. That's why it's not a consideration.

TheEye
Like?
In reply to Rriley, Jul 13, 2012

Rriley wrote:

I wouldnt be so sure a pano would work out in a small space, say like a bathroom. Its fine for distant subjects, but close up can be very problematical. Ive done panos of large rooms back in my 11-22 days, and sometimes it was a bit nightmareish when furnishings were unavoidably close

realistically his options are renting buying or borrowing lenses

for which 7-14 is ideal for bathroom size projects as it will get all 3 corners in shot, his choice to reduce from there... Or 9-18 which is fine in itself.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

That's in line with what I was thinking. I have to actually check the location before I know how wide a lens I will need. I'm pretty sure the 7-14 will be my best option.

TheEye
Like?
In reply to goblin, Jul 13, 2012

goblin wrote:

TheEye wrote:

I'd be you I'd get any of the Samyang 8mm clones (Opteka, etc) which is a fish eye on APS-C but less so in the center, for under $300, then straighten out the edges in some simple PP.

It's a shame there is no rectilinear 9 or 10 mm lens. MF woul be just fine.

Rather than buying a $300 fish, I'd rent the 7-14, though.

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
sigma 10 -20 mm

You might still be able to get hold of a Sigma 10mm to 20 mm zoom
Ive stil got mine and LOVE it

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?

TheEye wrote:

It's a shame there is no rectilinear 9 or 10 mm lens. MF woul be just fine.

Word is that the Samyang and its clones are actuall pretty rectilinear in the area used by 4/3 cameras. Have not verified it myself though.

The least expensive clones are Bell & Howell, at around $250. Then again, if you won't need it later, renting sounds better.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182
Like?
FT 9-18 on mFT
In reply to TheEye, Jul 14, 2012

Works nicely on EP3 anyway. As far as a know it's a bit better than the mFT-version. It is not the fastest focusing lens, but I rarely use it for sports... And if I do, it is best to go with MF and lock the focus to certain point. DOF does the rest.

The lens is not too large or heavy on an mFT-body - much smaller and lighter than the 12-60, and focuses faster (optimised).

But, if you have an option to rent the 7-14, do it. Optically it is better.

Jouko

'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'

http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads