GX1 Gold Box Deal of the Day

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,241Gear list
Like?
Jul 12, 2012

$395 for black body only.

6 configurations on sale for varying prices: Black, Silver, Body Only, w/14-42 kit, w/14-42 Power X.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kschles
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Re: GX1 Gold Box Deal of the Day
In reply to Chas2, Jul 12, 2012

An incredible offer, but I wonder what it says about GX1 sales in general (can't be good if they are discounting so heavily). Maybe a new Panasonic GX model is on the horizon????
--
Ken S

Kschles's gear list:Kschles's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe talks photography gear
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to Kschles, Jul 12, 2012

Adorama sells a kit for $492 that includes a $16.95 sdhc card, video editing software(good to use for re-sale later), cheap case and a card reader(again, good for when I sell). And the kit lens gets sold on receipt.

Panasonic definitely handles pricing better than Olympus...to the customer's favor.

Kristi Guin
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?

Ironically, the price on this camera dropped silutaneously to me deciding to sell mine:(

My new Oly OMD shows up today. I'll likely end up giving a friend a really good deal in the GXI, or passing it on to my husband.

Steven 2
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?

Super deal. I guess they have to move them. Probably was not a huge seller at original retail.

There couldn't be a GX2 coming soon, could there?? G5 is strongly rumored and I guess would be in the same price bracket so better for them to move out as many GX1 units off the shelf as possible.

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,241
Like?
Really great deal!

This is a really great deal. If I didn't already have an E-M5, I'd probably buy this.

As far as people wondering how or why Panasonic is selling the camera for so little money, maybe they should ask why it was originally so expensive? This camera has no EVF, no tilting LCD, no in-body IS, it's no doubt just as inexpensive to manufacture as an E-PM1.

I think the pricing just reflects that the camera is no longer the latest technology, and it no longer has the best sensor available in m43 cameras, and Panasonioc may be aware that Olympus is going to be improving the sensors in its lower-end cameras really soon (I mean if the rumors website guy knows about it, I'm sure that Panasonic executives know about it also).

But I do think it's a little odd that the GX-1 is less expensive than the GF5.

Steven 2
Like?
Re: Really great deal!
In reply to sigala1, Jul 12, 2012

sigala1 wrote:

But I do think it's a little odd that the GX-1 is less expensive than the GF5.

Haha, yeah that's a real headscratcher . Who would get that GF5 except a complete newbie who doesn't know what's going on??

dgreene196
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven 2, Jul 12, 2012

Steven 2 wrote:

Haha, yeah that's a real headscratcher . Who would get that GF5 except a complete newbie who doesn't know what's going on??

Or someone who's afraid of all the buttons on the GX1?

I know some of the rumor website have suggested a G5 will be released soon with similar specs, but possibly with a revised body. If that body were more rangefinder-like, could that be a reason the GX1 is being cleared out?

I'm not complaining. As the price has dropped, I've gotten great deals on the GX1 and its associated EVF. As much as I wanted an OM-D, it was just too hard to pass up the chance to get most of the performance in a smaller and much, much cheaper package. And now I have more money to invest in glass!

dgreene196's gear list:dgreene196's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Steven 2
Like?
In reply to dgreene196, Jul 12, 2012

dgreene196 wrote:

I know some of the rumor website have suggested a G5 will be released soon with similar specs, but possibly with a revised body. If that body were more rangefinder-like, could that be a reason the GX1 is being cleared out?

The pictures of those rumors show a G3 like body with a rubberized grip similar to GX1 material. It would be strange if Panasonic changed G series from its DSLR like form. I expect a slightly improved processor, maybe the same one as in GX1 and a slightly different body.

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,241Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kschles, Jul 12, 2012

Indeed, I wonder if sales have not been so great, especially with the advent of the OMD.

Gold Box deals are one day things, great if you can get in on it. I remember that during Black Friday time period, say November 2011, there was a Gold Box Deal on the LX5 for something like $275. Today, the LX5 is still selling for $359, even with the rumors of an LX 6 or LX7 introduction in the very near future.

Perhaps we won't see fire sale prices again until next year after the GX2 has not only been introduced, but is on sale, and people are trying to get rid of old stock.

Kschles wrote:

An incredible offer, but I wonder what it says about GX1 sales in general (can't be good if they are discounting so heavily). Maybe a new Panasonic GX model is on the horizon????
--
Ken S

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
sigala1
Like?
Don't forget the good deal with kit lens for $493

Chas2 wrote:

6 configurations on sale for varying prices: Black, Silver, Body Only, w/14-42 kit, w/14-42 Power X.

If you don't have a 14-42 lens, I highly recommend getting the the camera/kit lens bundle. I really think this is the best image quality you will get from any camera available today for under $500. I've been using the Panasonic kit lens with my E-M5, and I like it a lot; it's not small and cute like the new 14-42x lens, but it produces very high quality images for a great price, and it's optically image stablised when used with a Panasonic camera.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,299Gear list
Like?

Chas2 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the heads up on this GX1 body only deal.

I just ordered one, as I could not pass up the price and it will an upgrade to my GF-1.

I got fed up waiting for my pre-ordered OMD silver body only from B&H. Had been waiting since early March.

And when I thought more about the OMD, and after reading real OMD owners reports of bugs and quirks I decided the OMD was not for me on a $1000 body. Too bad for Olympus ;). Also, the great shots from G1X shooters like Marla208, Don Santos, ryan2007, and others.

I'm not a pro, just a casual family and vacation snapper. So I think the GX1 will be more than enough camera for me. Will be using Panny 7-14, 50 1.4, and 14-45 lenses for now. 20 will stay on the GF-1.

Now just wondering if I should get the EVF-2?

Kind regards, and again thanks!

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jul 12, 2012

Len_Gee wrote:

Now just wondering if I should get the EVF-2?

Depends on whether you intend to use the camera in bright sunlight, or with heavy lenses (making it too heavy to hold in front of you).

sygyzy
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?

Since it's the body only and I feel like having a prime lens like the 20mm or 14mm is essential, has anyone considered the following tactic?

1. Buy the GX1 body only.
2. Also buy the GF3 kit with the 14mm pancake lens.

3. Either keep or sell the GF3 body and now you have the GX1 + 14mm lens + body for not much more than the cost of the GX1 + 14mm alone.
--
Peace!
sygyzy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sygyzy/

renttoown
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jul 12, 2012

I need to join a 12 step program for cameras.

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the GX1 black body for the killer price of $395. Could not find any options as to body or lenes. Already have two 14-42mm lens. Would like to buy a nicer m43 lens.

Was looking to upgrade from my Panasonic LX3. Missed out on an Olympus XZ1 for $150 on craigslist. Couldn't get my head around a white camera. Then missed out on a Panasonic LX5 for $200 because somebody got to it 1st. Yesterday I bought a GF1 sans lens with a spare battery for $175. Do I really need a GX1?

I guess I do need a GX1. Wish it was pocketable like the LX3. Paid about the same as I did for the LX3 when purchased new.

Marty
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner student & Street Photographer
--
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

renttoown's gear list:renttoown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Steven 2
Like?
In reply to renttoown, Jul 12, 2012

I guess I do need a GX1. Wish it was pocketable like the LX3.

I am also upgrading from LX3 and I have to say I never really found it very pocketable, so for me the GX1 was not a huge bump up in size, as long as you use it with one of the smaller prime lenses or the Panasonic 14-42mm powerzoom.

Steven 2
Like?
In reply to sygyzy, Jul 12, 2012

3. Either keep or sell the GF3 body and now you have the GX1 + 14mm lens + body for not much more than the cost of the GX1 + 14mm alone.

you can buy the 14mm lens on ebay from Asia based sellers for well under 200USD.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,299Gear list
Like?
Re: To buy a GF-3 kit to resell body and keep 14 mm. Making money on it.
In reply to sygyzy, Jul 12, 2012

Hello

Camera bodies depreciate fast and don't hold value like lenses. And there will always newer camera bodies introduced like it seems every month.

I would not take a chance hoping to get good money for GF3 if wait too long from now.
How much GF-3 on eBays?
How much 14mm on eBays?
After fee how much money you think maybe you could sell you GF-3 for?

Thank you for the idea though.

Regards.

sygyzy wrote:

Since it's the body only and I feel like having a prime lens like the 20mm or 14mm is essential, has anyone considered the following tactic?

1. Buy the GX1 body only.
2. Also buy the GF3 kit with the 14mm pancake lens.

--
Peace!
sygyzy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sygyzy/

-

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kschles, Jul 13, 2012

Kschles wrote:

--
Ken S

Not incredible, though good, and doesn't say anything about sales. I bought one a month ago on Amazon for $4 more. Amazon pricing is very volatile, and gold box pricing is completely random (and limited to a single day). Panasonic is definitely not trying to "clear out" the GX1, as someone else posted.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to renttoown, Jul 13, 2012

renttoown wrote:

I need to join a 12 step program for cameras.

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the GX1 black body for the killer price of $395. Could not find any options as to body or lenes. Already have two 14-42mm lens. Would like to buy a nicer m43 lens.

If there is a 12 step I'd need to be in line. I purchased an EPL1 earlier this year, then a Nikon D800 and now I want an OMD, but this GX1 is looking pretty good (I'd give the EPL1 to my son). How does the GX1 sensor compare to the OMD?

On second thought I think I'll wait and get the OMD, I sure do like that flip screen for street photography.

-- hide signature --

Allen
I yam what I yam and that's all that I am. Popeye

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads