Exposure Issues with SEL16F28

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions
Jerry Canon
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
Exposure Issues with SEL16F28
Jul 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

I am finding that my recently acquired SEL16F28 constantly gives me very under exposed images on either my 5n or 7 bodies. I realize exposure is tricky with wide-angle optics due to their large field and the fact that it is apt to contain areas of extreme brightness differences, but seems that exposure with this lens is just a pain in thr butt no matter if I set the camera to "multi" or "spot". Is there a trick here that I'm not doing? I always shoot RAW.
http://500px.com/JerryBrendle

Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,789Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure Issues with SEL16F28
In reply to Jerry Canon, Jul 10, 2012

Jerry Canon wrote:

-- hide signature --

I am finding that my recently acquired SEL16F28 constantly gives me very under exposed images on either my 5n or 7 bodies. I realize exposure is tricky with wide-angle optics due to their large field and the fact that it is apt to contain areas of extreme brightness differences, but seems that exposure with this lens is just a pain in thr butt no matter if I set the camera to "multi" or "spot". Is there a trick here that I'm not doing? I always shoot RAW.

I get reasonably exposed photos usually, but adding the UWA, I realized that I was getting enough sky (I assume) that the subjects might be a bit underexposed. I dialed in +.7 EV on my last outing. This overexposed some photos, so it's not like things were all that severely underexposed, just in some cases.

Usually if I take a photo that is severely under-exposeed, I've forgotten that I'm in manual mode. Try taking a photo in the daylight and see if it's still underexposed. Try using Aperture priority mode or manual mode.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?

Jerry Canon wrote:

Is there a trick here that I'm not doing? I always shoot RAW.

The "trick" is nothing more complicated than to learn how to meter accurately with the aid of the histogram, adjusting EV compensation appropriately. Then it doesn't really matter which lens you use.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Jul 10, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

The "trick" is nothing more complicated than to learn how to meter accurately with the aid of the histogram, adjusting EV compensation appropriately. Then it doesn't really matter which lens you use.

+1... I think John's got it right. Several lenses have similar transmisivity issues to your 16mm, especially when you add filters like a polarizer or converters like the 16mm's UWA or fisheye.

How far off are your images? I haven't seen a huge error with my 16mm.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Bowman, Jul 10, 2012

If you have sky and ground objects in your photo, perhaps you could try hdr and see if that makes a difference? If all parts of the photo are still underexposed, you might have an ondocumented problem? Just an amateur speaking here though...

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Jerry Canon
Like?
In reply to Bruce Bowman, Jul 10, 2012

Bruce Bowman wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

+1... I think John's got it right. Several lenses have similar transmisivity issues to your 16mm, especially when you add filters like a polarizer or converters like the 16mm's UWA or fisheye.

--
Bruce

-- hide signature --

They look about a stop to 1 1/2 under usually.

Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?

Jerry Canon wrote:

Bruce Bowman wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

--
Bruce

-- hide signature --

Using what mode - is the camera claiming they're exposed correctly and then they come out dark?

My SEL16 seems to work ok (allowing that the NEX-5 over-exposes in bright light, so -3/-7 is 0-equivalent):

Alan

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,008
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Jul 10, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

It is generally more difficult to get the right exposure with a wide angle lens, because the images include regions which are very differently lit. A long lens is usually looking at a small part of the scene, all of which is lit much the same.

Boardsy's picture of a trolley car is a good example - the shadow areas are very much darker than the sky and have come out underexposed by 2 or 3 stops - in real life you would easily see detail in those shadows. There is a limit to what a camera can record in one exposure.

A long lens aimed at the shadow area would have given full exposure with details.

I found the hardest case was when using panoramic film cameras. It is often impossible to get an exposure that will cover both the brightest and darkest parts of a panorama on film. (Although now that you can scan them into a computer, "Highlights and Shadows" can help.)

Jerry Canon
Like?
In reply to boardsy, Jul 10, 2012

boardsy wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

Bruce Bowman wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

--
Bruce

-- hide signature --

Using what mode - is the camera claiming they're exposed correctly and then they come out dark?

My SEL16 seems to work ok (allowing that the NEX-5 over-exposes in bright light, so -3/-7 is 0-equivalent):

Alan

-- hide signature --

I always shoot aperture priority. The camera says it's right but the images are considerably underexposed.

Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Jul 10, 2012

D Cox wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

It is generally more difficult to get the right exposure with a wide angle lens, because the images include regions which are very differently lit. A long lens is usually looking at a small part of the scene, all of which is lit much the same.

Boardsy's picture of a trolley car is a good example - the shadow areas are very much darker than the sky and have come out underexposed by 2 or 3 stops - in real life you would easily see detail in those shadows. There is a limit to what a camera can record in one exposure.

A long lens aimed at the shadow area would have given full exposure with details.

Given all that, I wouldn't call the image mysteriously under-exposed though - this was mid-day sun and the shadows were & should be darker than the sky! Obviously RAW (or even from JPG) one could push the shadows & pull the highlights, but overall it's a good exposure as chosen by A mode.

I don't think Jerry would complain about a shot like this. Or maybe he would - can you post an example pic Jerry? Otherwise we're all just speculating.

Alan

Crono_DL
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?
In reply to Jerry Canon, Jul 12, 2012

You mentioned having tried using spot and multi segment metering, but have you also tried center? I find that center gives me better exposures than multi, on my 5n and my friend's nex5 as well.
--
Danny

Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to Crono_DL, Jul 12, 2012

Crono_DL wrote:

You mentioned having tried using spot and multi segment metering, but have you also tried center? I find that center gives me better exposures than multi, on my 5n and my friend's nex5 as well.
--
Danny

The trick is that all metering types function relatively the same way.

Spot finds the best compromise between all pixels within the area metered. Center does the same thing but for a broader range. Multi does the same but over the entire frame.

If you have a high contrast scene where you can't help but have some highlights blown out or shadows crushed, use the one most suitable for your scene to meter what you'd want to be properly metered. If you want the best compromise for the entire scene, use multi.

I usually change metering methods depending on what I'm shooting. If it's a landscape, I often find matrix the best, but I'll typically use the reading with a grain of salt and try to adjust to find the best compromise to my eyes and the histogram.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
Jerry Canon
Like?
In reply to Crono_DL, Jul 12, 2012

Crono_DL wrote:

--
Danny

-- hide signature --

That makes sense, I'll give it a try.

Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Bruce Bowman
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jerry Canon, Jul 12, 2012

Jerry Canon wrote:

--They look about a stop to 1 1/2 under usually.

That's a bunch, Jerry! Earlier comments mention the issues with WA exposure and that may be a contributor. But if you're dialing in +1.5 EV to get what you recall of the scene, there seems to be an issue.

If you're using Spot exposure metering, one thought would be to try the broad area exposure metering. I'm not a fan of 'averaging gone crazy', but it may be a help.
--
Bruce

Bruce Bowman's gear list:Bruce Bowman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads