D200, a few weeds

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
JLR9
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
D200, a few weeds
Jul 9, 2012

Hi all,

just a few shots with my trusty D200. I use this camera exclusively for macro and have a Tamron 90mm f2.8 permanently attached with a Sigma Ringflash. I feel no urge anytime soon to 'upgrade'. I also have a D2x permanently attached to a 500 f4/P and a permanent Sigma SD14 IR setup.

You might say what's the point in having a DSLR permanently taken up with one lens? Psychology here. I am waiting for a D400 and this way my wife won't be able to say 'you don't need another camera', to which I reply, 'but dear I haven't got a walk around DSLR' (the X100 doesn't count, neither does the DP1). Anybody else know a way to persuade the better half you 'need' another camera?

Borage

Window box flower

More Window box flowers!

Harlequin Ladybird on Clover

Regards, John

-- hide signature --

'A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.' - Ansel Adams

JLR9's gear list:JLR9's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +18 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Nikon D2X Nikon D40 Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marvin Clapp
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Re: D200, a few weeds
In reply to JLR9, Jul 9, 2012

These shots are amazing! They represent everything that I would like to do with macro someday.

I just tell my wife that she can have whatever jewelry she wants if I can buy the camera equipment I want. We have one limiter. We do not buy anything "unnecessary" on using payments. We always pay out of currently available funds after the budget is taken care of. (There's always a catch isn't there?)
--
M. Clapp

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JLR9
Like?
In reply to Marvin Clapp, Jul 9, 2012

Thanks Marvin,

there is indeed a catch. My central heating boiler has just given up so I have a bill for £2,000. My car refuses to start so is going in tomorrow, kerching!

I am trying to find ways to soften the blow, although your jewellery idea has got some mileage, unfortunately not much aint going to stretch very far........

Regards, John
--

'A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.' - Ansel Adams

Canon PowerShot SD400 Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +18 more
rufusm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086
Like?
In reply to JLR9, Jul 9, 2012

Well done, beautiful images. Let me know how that logic works out with the wife. Me getting divorced a few years ago was bad for the heart but great for Nikon.

-- hide signature --
JLR9
Like?
In reply to rufusm, Jul 9, 2012

Hi Rufusm,

too true, I got divorced four years ago and blew a lot on a couple of his/her Rolexes with my present wife, I just wish they were Timexes now because I would be using a D800 now!

Regards, John
--

MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?
In reply to JLR9, Jul 11, 2012

Yeeeikes! Those are stunning! I mainly use a 24-85 Nikkor 2.8-4 for macro shots (has macro focus from 35-85mm), but I never (ok, rarely) do special lighting and the results show.
--
Michael
http://www.flickr.com/photos/c36sailor/

bartex
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?

Awesome shots! Me myself have been thinking about getting a Macro setup for quite a while! Seems like yours is quite interesting combo!

JLR9 wrote:

Anybody else know a way to persuade the better half you 'need' another camera?

Tell her it'll make you very happy-- almost as happy as she's (but still she's number 1!). Works for me every single time I need something (be it new lenses, flashgun or even high calibre stuff as x100!).

bartex's gear list:bartex's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +2 more
JLR9
Like?
In reply to bartex, Jul 11, 2012

Thanks for the advice,

at present I have gear posted to my work address, sneaky I know but I can't face the earache I know I will get.

I am picking up my car today after the engine started to refuse to start, I warned my wife to expect a worst case scenario of £1,000, so she is prepared. However, just had a call to pick it up and the cost is £300. Looks like a £700 saving to me, if you follow my drift........

Just as an aside, just to prove how sneaky I have become. I convinced myself I 'needed' a Nikkor 300mm f4 for birding along with my 1.4 TC. Now I have a 70-200 f2.8 in tropical grey, I almost bought a 300 in tropical grey knowing she would not know the difference! Even I, winced at my deviousness.

Anybody beat that for sheer cunning? I would like to hear from the ladies or perhaps they have a story to tell ( I have found boxes of unworn shoes secreted away in my wife's wardrobe, perhaps we are as bad as each other).

In the meantime of few more shots with the D200. For those asking about lighting, I recommend a ringflash (ahem, delivered to my work address), I struggled for years with a SB22s and a homemade bounce diffuser, it works but critters could see me coming at a 100 paces.

Wild geese coming in to land at Slimbridge (Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF, the old screwdriver one, I want the latest one )

Nico the Gorilla at Longleat (Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR)

Frogeyes (Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ai-S Micro )

Siskin at my feeder (Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 IF-ED Ai-S)

Evening lights at Tortworth Court (Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM)

Alice (Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF )

Coffee anybody? (Nikkor 17-55 f2.8)

Solitude (Nikkor 17-55 f2.8)

Regards, John

-- hide signature --

mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?

Beautiful images. Nice one of the geese. Are they greylags?

Have you tried getting your wife interested in photography? Does she know how to use your camera?

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
JLR9
Like?
In reply to mothergoose, Jul 11, 2012

Hi Mothergoose,
yes they are GreyLags.

I bought my wife a D3000 two lens kit which she uses and we both belong to a camera club, so yes she is interested in photography though not to the same extent as me.

In fact, she beat me in one competition though I did all the Photoshop post processing, but that doesn't count she says!

Regards, John
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads