5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Re: Reviewer says RX100 kills the PEN
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 15, 2012

photo perzon wrote:

"The RX100 kills the GF, Nikon 1 and PEN series for me. In fact I was always uneasy with mirrorless being a ‘step-up’ from a point & shoot any way. Those models are now a thing of the past."

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/sony-rx100-review

"The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing. Say goodbye to your Canon S100, Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Lumix GF3 with X power zoom. The RX100 is a better all-rounder than all of these cameras and significantly smaller (with lens) than any current mirrorless offering."

I'm sure the RX100 is a very good camera but after your comments (on the NEX forum) about NEX 5n skin tones, it surprises me that you're considering another Sony camera.

I always (secretly) agreed with you about Sony's rendering of skin tones, especially under incandescent lights. I think most of the problem is caused by white balance issues.

Anyway, do you think the RX100 will do a better job with indoor pictures of people?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,499Gear list
Like?
Tedolph banned?
In reply to Nell27, Jul 21, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

Photoperzon, please, please buy another M43s cam; I really miss your trolling and arrogance about being rich over on that forum.

You actually had a couple of good shots; one of your long suffering wife where the WB was correct and one of a toy helicopter that was in focus.

You'll be safe, Tedolph has been banned.

He has?

This is off topic but I had to laugh at your comment.

Haven't visited the Micro Four Thirds forum for awhile but always enjoyed reading the epic posts from Tedolph.

Me too.

How many times has he been banned?

Who can say?

He must hold the record.

He does.

A lot of people get upset with him, and I can understand why, but you have to admit he makes that forum interesting.

Some people prefer to be bored to death, especially if the alternative is to be challenged in any way.

Tedolph,

The Banned

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
rkeller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
Re: Tedolph banned?
In reply to tedolf, Jul 21, 2012

Actually, you ARE deathly boring. Your posts are amusing & entertaining only to yourself. You have apparently done your two-week ban. It was a pleasant stretch with a vastly improved signal-to-noise ratio.

I am sure you have learned your lesson though, and will show more be circumspect in your posting now, right?

tedolf wrote:

Nell27 wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

Photoperzon, please, please buy another M43s cam; I really miss your trolling and arrogance about being rich over on that forum.

You actually had a couple of good shots; one of your long suffering wife where the WB was correct and one of a toy helicopter that was in focus.

He has?

Haven't visited the Micro Four Thirds forum for awhile but always enjoyed reading the epic posts from Tedolph.

Me too.

Who can say?

He must hold the record.

He does.

A lot of people get upset with him, and I can understand why, but you have to admit he makes that forum interesting.

Some people prefer to be bored to death, especially if the alternative is to be challenged in any way.

Tedolph,

The Banned

-- hide signature --

"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan

"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Nell27
Like?
Re: Tedolph banned?
In reply to rkeller, Jul 21, 2012

rkeller wrote:

Actually, you ARE deathly boring. Your posts are amusing & entertaining only to yourself. You have apparently done your two-week ban. It was a pleasant stretch with a vastly improved signal-to-noise ratio.

I am sure you have learned your lesson though, and will show more be circumspect in your posting now, right?

Ouch!!!

Another Tedolph fan.

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?
Re: Reviewer says RX100 kills the PEN (not really!)
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 23, 2012

The only thing it could kill other mirorless ones is "pocketability" nothing else. !

You can always upgrade your camera, if it allow you change lense, and allows you to add anything to its hot shue. That sony RX100 lacking both.

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
80,000 pictures ???
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 24, 2012

How many of those are keepers?

How many are 10s ?

Mark

SimonTay
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?
Re: 5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100

I must be missing something.

212,000 pictures in 12 years, and the same two cameras for the last eight. And they have paid for themselves.

I invest in lenses, not cameras.
--
Simon Taylor - Phooto

LeRentier
Forum ProPosts: 13,622Gear list
Like?

Let's look at the numbers :

80.000 pictures in 5 years but with 30 different cameras, which means you keep your gear for TWO months before you want something else.

Don't you have any serious hobbies, like photography or so ?

You sound like a dealer's nightmare customer, you should be drowned in D76.

A Guy Platt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544
Like?
Tedolph
In reply to tedolf, Aug 12, 2012

This is funny. I have somehow missed all the Tedolph threads but if this is an example of your posts I'll look out for them.

tedolf wrote:

Nell27 wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

He has?

Me too.

Who can say?

He must hold the record.

He does.

Tedolph,

The Banned

-- hide signature --
Dixa
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?
In reply to photo perzon, Aug 12, 2012

30 cameras in 5 years?

i'm not sure you were so much a photographer as a collector, and because of this and the reasoning that lead you to settle on the rx100 i'm not sure how much weight your overall opinion can possibly carry.

maybe to beginners who already have point and shoots, have considered a dslr but not sure if they want to deal with the size or changing lenses just yet. sure, the rx100 makes sense

but rx100 as my only camera? no. for serious work, the serious camera comes out. for play the rx100 (or nokia 808) comes out.

photo perzon wrote:

I've learned a few things.

1) In good light, most cameras over $ 200 will do just fine.

2) The reason to spend over $ 200 is pictures with no flash in low indoor light

3) If you want portability (7.5 ounces, or half a pound), reasonable zoom, and the latest features, as well as good low indoor light flash free photography (which requires a large sensor), the Sony RX100 gives you all that with its large 1" sensor.

History

5 years ago I started with tiny Sony cameras. Took great pictures with flash with my Sony TX1. Quickly got into the Fuji F30 and Fuji F31Fd which would give you good results at ISO 800. No longer a need to blind people with flash at parties and dinners, as well as getting a more natural look and no red-eye.

Got some P&S zooms, got my great birds shots.

In the quest for better low light results, moved to the Nikon D40 with primes such as 50mm 1.4, 35mm 1.8, and later, the 5 pound Nikon D700 with large lenses.

Took a detour into some long 300mm f4 and 200mm f2 and 70-300mm zooms. Unless you are taking pictures of games, or birds, the long zooms are better left to pros, just enjoy the game instead of becoming the unpaid photographer.

Obviously all I say here is for hobbyists. If you are getting paid as a pro, buy $ 50,000 worth of Leica glass (or $ 15,000 of Nikon or Canon) ASAP.

Tried the Sony 5N and 7 and the lenses were "too large still." Ended up with $ 4000 worth of m4/3 (easy with their $ 500 and $1000 lenses each), but at dinners and parties it was still taking a camera bag by my side, and minding it all night.

I wanted a pocketable, decent "wow" IQ camera. A camera that travels easily in a jacket pocket or a belt clip in a tight black case. My Canon S100 was pocketable, but slow to AF, slow lens, typical small sensor P&S results.

So here is the Sony RX100 with large sensor, latest electronics, panoramic, movies, all sorts of effects. Great IQ pictures posted. Fast AF. 1/2 ounce heavier than the Canon S100.

I sold 25 of my 30 cameras. That includes lenses. I had cameras for all kinds of occassions. My favorite lens was a $ 700 Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 1.5pound lens. Half the weight of the 3 lb Nikon 80-200mm. Was gonna use it to reach low light games and events with my Nikon D5100 at ISO 6400. Did it once in one event. Did not enjoy the event, as I became obsessed to take 400 pictures of the rodeo.

The only pictures worth keeping are social snaps with people. Postcards from pros are much better with their 10 pound cameras they lug to tourist events and sites.

We'll see if the Sony RX100 delivers. I think it will. At $ 650 it is cheaper than the $ 10,000 I spent on cameras (most of which I got back on eBay.) It's been a fun 5 year ride. 80,000 pictures.

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Nell27
Like?
Re: Tedolph
In reply to A Guy Platt, Aug 12, 2012

A Guy Platt wrote:

This is funny. I have somehow missed all the Tedolph threads but if this is an example of your posts I'll look out for them.

He is definitely one of the character's on these forums and some people would love to see him get banned for life but he actually seems like a nice enough guy who just loves to "get under people's skin".

He mostly posts in the micro four thirds forum.

You don't have to say anything horrible to get banned. All it really takes is enough people hitting the complain button, about your posts, and dpreview will ban you for awhile.

Tedolph is a man with a bulls eye on him and he walks a fine line every time he disagrees with someone.

I don't agree (from a photography standpoint) with much of what he says but, as I said before, I like reading his posts and think these forums would get boring without people like him.

smallcams
Senior MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
In reply to Dixa, Aug 12, 2012

Dixa wrote:

but rx100 as my only camera? no. for serious work, the serious camera comes out.

What's your idea of "serious?'

krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
In reply to IcyVeins, Aug 12, 2012

Hi, Photoperzon,

I think your post was astute and helpful Not all will agree with it but it will resonate with the experience of some people. Helpful to see that someone who has tried a lot of large and expensive cameras has concluded that smaller is better in this context.

Also, I see nothing wrong with being a camera collector. Lots of people collect lots of things, some much more expensive than cameras. I just came from a visit to an antique car show, for example.

What I do not understand is the angry, almost virulent tone of many of the responses to your post, and the slurs and name-calling.

Of course I am envious of your ability to buy 30 cameras, but not envious enough to call you names.

I have been on the faculty of M.I.T. so I know how difficult it is for a person to achieve the credentials you cite. I respect them.

What would be helpful instead of contumely is a discussion of the exact conditions under which a small pocketable camera gives results difficult to distinguish from those of a large expensive heavy DSLR. Is it bright sunny days with stationary or slow moving objects at ISO 100?

And are there conditions, such as street shooting in a stressful environment, in which an unobtrusive compact camera would be more useful than a large and easily noticeable DSLR?

Krugman

charleyd
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
In reply to photo perzon, Aug 12, 2012

I too have wasted countless dollars on cameras since 1957, oh yes, and cars too. I could sure use some of those coins now.

Essai
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
5 years and 30 cameras later and you are still clueless apparently (nt)
In reply to photo perzon, Aug 13, 2012

5 years and 30 cameras later and you are still clueless apparently (nt)

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,715Gear list
Like?
In reply to krugman, Aug 13, 2012

People vent virulently, unless one is agreeing with the majority.

Yeah I took courses from Thurow things got heated when the grade was 30% (or 50%) how close we could predict GNP of that quarter.

The Sony RX100 with is great performance at ISO 3200 and a fast 1.8 lens can take fast perfect pictures in low light...for practical purposes, the low light of most restaurants and bars and outdoors at night is high enough that the RX100 does a great job with no flash needed. At zoomed positions the f stop goes to 4.9...there the larger DSLRs (or say an Olympus E-m5 with the great 45mm f1.8 lens) do better. I complemented the RX100 with the similar sized Sony HX20V (20X zoom) for reach when needed. Those two cover a lot of situations.

krugman wrote:

Hi, Photoperzon,

I think your post was astute and helpful Not all will agree with it but it will resonate with the experience of some people. Helpful to see that someone who has tried a lot of large and expensive cameras has concluded that smaller is better in this context.

Also, I see nothing wrong with being a camera collector. Lots of people collect lots of things, some much more expensive than cameras. I just came from a visit to an antique car show, for example.

What I do not understand is the angry, almost virulent tone of many of the responses to your post, and the slurs and name-calling.

Of course I am envious of your ability to buy 30 cameras, but not envious enough to call you names.

I have been on the faculty of M.I.T. so I know how difficult it is for a person to achieve the credentials you cite. I respect them.

What would be helpful instead of contumely is a discussion of the exact conditions under which a small pocketable camera gives results difficult to distinguish from those of a large expensive heavy DSLR. Is it bright sunny days with stationary or slow moving objects at ISO 100?

And are there conditions, such as street shooting in a stressful environment, in which an unobtrusive compact camera would be more useful than a large and easily noticeable DSLR?

Krugman

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,026Gear list
Like?
Re: 5 years and 30 cameras later and you are still clueless apparently (nt)
In reply to Essai, Aug 13, 2012

I would suggest far from clueless, the OP comes across as someone with a good understanding of Photography and equipment, my original response was an attempt at humour.

Carl

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
pannayar
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
In reply to IcyVeins, Jan 16, 2013

IcyVeins wrote:

A person with brains would know that it is a logical fallacy to claim his position is more valid just because others are echoing it. Would you like to run back home and grab what you think are your brains before you take a stab at responding?

This thread has been an extremely interesting read for me.  I guess a few more visitors will read it now since this comment will bring it to the top :).  Whether or not I learn more photography skills from here, I am very glad to read all the back and forth arguments on various topics... love the wordings from IcyVeins above (no offense to anyone)

aman74 wrote:

What a narrow point of view, I'm glad I don't live in your world. Who are you to say what someone should do with their time and money? Who are you to assume someone is trying to impress someone with their purchases when you don't even know them. Who are you to say they don't have any talent, it's subjective anyhow and actually quite irrelevant. Some people enjoy the equipment, checking new things out seeing what works for them, etc... Would you say the same thing about someone who likes to collect and work on cars? It's a frickin' hobby man.

My +1 goes to aman4 for that.  And something to learn from the OP's maturity on ignoring the bullying

krugman
Like?
Re: The entire industry thanks you for your $$$ participation...you'll be missed$$
In reply to rfclark, Jan 16, 2013

rfclark wrote:

Am I missing something by owning just one camera body (dslr) at a time (2 total), 2 lenses and shooting about 2-3 k shots in the same 5 years?
--
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/rclarkphotos/?albumview=grid

Yes there is something wrong, your photos are great but there are too many birds in them. Try to keep the birds out of  your pictures, they are flighty and tend to intrude unless you watch them carefully.

Fortunately there is a solution. If  you had more massive  photo equipment you might be able to scare them away. It's worth a try.

Krugman

krugman
Like?
Re: The entire industry thanks you for your $$$ participation...you'll be missed$$
In reply to DuaneV, Jan 16, 2013

DuaneV wrote:

I must be doing something wrong because in 30 years of shooting Ive only owned 9 cameras. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone can go through 30 cameras in 5 years and get to know each and every one of them. I mean, 5 years is 60 months. That means youre buying a new camera every 2 months. WOW!
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

Yes there is something wrong, your photos of gemstones are superb, but this can be cured with  little  bit of technical knowledge, to wit: if  you are using RAW switch to  JPEG. If  you are using JPEG, switch to RAW. Read more articles in photo magazines, read all the reviews, learn all about pixels and postprocessing and always follow the rules of composition, especially the rule of thirds and the rule about curves leading into the image, and your images will be like ours.

Krugman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads