photo perzon wrote:

After all PhotoPerzon does have two degrees from MIT

MIT '75 Mechanical Engineering B.S.
MIT '77 Sloan School of Business S.M.

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award
Winner of the 2.70 robotics competition

He must be smart!

Interesting. When I attended MIT there was no Sloan School of Business.

The Sloan School is named: The Sloan School of Management.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
Re: 5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 13, 2012

Here's one for you -- I wrote a pseudo-review of the Kodak Mini 200 a while ago, as it was obvious that DP Review would never get around to it. Not exactly a Canikon.

VERY small, VERY light -- and, I'd bet, sort of collectable -- one of Kodak's last cameras:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=41381538

Enjoy!
--
Jonathon Donahue -- http://jon404.com

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,804Gear list
Like?
Re: what are you doing with....
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 14, 2012

photo perzon wrote:

Why would anyone need more than 640K?

That's not an answer and is very unrelated.

RedFox88 wrote:

What are you doing with those 80,000 pics? How can anyone appreciate so many photos? In those same last 5 years I have taken about 10,000 photos many of which were deleted, keeping the best, weed the average out ruthlessly.

Viewing all 80,000 of your photos at 4 seconds per pic would take 89 straight hours! Way too long!

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,265
Like?
whatever

I've learned a few things.

1) In good light, most cameras over $ 200 will do just fine.

Well, you forgot AF, burst rate, tracking speed, turn on time, flash sync, accessories, and a few other things. Aside from that you got it complete

2) The reason to spend over $ 200 is pictures with no flash in low indoor light

It took you 30 cameras to learn that?

The only pictures worth keeping are social snaps with people. Postcards from pros are much better with their 10 pound cameras they lug to tourist events and sites.

So, a cell phone would do you just fine? You have no photographic ambitions at all? No pride in doing it yourself? No desire to get better?

Bottom line is, whether you realize it or not, you've just told us you're not really that interested in photography, so you got a RX100 to take snapshots in poor lighting. A glowing recommendation.

Kind of like going to the performance car forums, and proudly announcing "I just realized I had no need for a fast car, so after 6 sports cars, I brought a Smartcar, which gets me to grocery store just fine." Might be true, but is it really interesting to anyone else besides you?

Personally, I live to take photos. It's another way to see the world. I can respect not being interested, most of my friends aren't, but they don't brag about it.

peacefrog33756
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

The RX100 might be all that and a bag of chips, but what will you do when Canon comes out with a comparable model, or Fuji, or even Nikon? Will that number of 30 increase to 33, 34, or 35? Sounds to me that you are really an equipment enthusiast rather than a photography enthusiast. Not that there's anything wrong with that if it's your thing and you have the funds to support it.

f8_accpmpli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?

Is this a modern day example of placing an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters (key boards) such that given an infinite length of time PhotoPerzon will produce ... a single photograph worthy of... pick your own ending.

-- hide signature --

Never put off until tomorrow. . .
that which you can avoid doing altogether.

f8_accpmpli's gear list:f8_accpmpli's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Minolta DiMAGE A1 Olympus C-3020 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +19 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,649Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nell27, Jul 14, 2012

Yeah I spent 2 years at Sloan '75 to '77, eating donuts on the third floor and visited the Faculty Lounge on the fifth floor a few times.

My thesis advisor was prof. Hax. Lester Thurow was a fascinating lecturer we had a connuption when 1/2 the grade was predicting the GNP of the next quarter and if we teamed up to "all win" we'd "all lose."

Nell27 wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

After all PhotoPerzon does have two degrees from MIT

MIT '75 Mechanical Engineering B.S.
MIT '77 Sloan School of Business S.M.

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award
Winner of the 2.70 robotics competition

He must be smart!

Interesting. When I attended MIT there was no Sloan School of Business.

The Sloan School is named: The Sloan School of Management.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?
> photo perzon

A good post. This is primarily a photo equipment site, not a photography site. We all have different drivers for selecting equipment. You shared your experiences, and what your metrics are. These may be helpful to others.

My only issue was the post associated with MIT & that you must be smart. You're old enough now to know that in business a 25+ year old academic credentials get a person an interview, at best. The rest is what a person delivers.

Stay with your passion in photography, it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it works for you. And please post your learnings & observations.

Apologies for my somewhat harsh posts in this thread

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to aman74, Jul 14, 2012

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego
d) No photographic talent

or e) All of the above.

What a narrow point of view, I'm glad I don't live in your world. Who are you to say what someone should do with their time and money? Who are you to assume someone is trying to impress someone with their purchases when you don't even know them. Who are you to say they don't have any talent, it's subjective anyhow and actually quite irrelevant. Some people enjoy the equipment, checking new things out seeing what works for them, etc...

I suggest growing up and worrying about yourself. You sound jealous and ignorant. Would you say the same thing about someone who likes to collect and work on cars? It's a frickin' hobby man.

Try reading the topic in flat mode. Maybe you will understand that I am not the only one who thinks the OP is a narcissistic idiot with more money than brains.

That's about what I expected for a reply. Failure to answer the questions, failure to stop for a moment and reflect instead of getting defensive and posting a reply that makes sense. You're only making yourself look even more ignorant. As someone else pointed out, whether others agree with you or not has nothing to do with being correct. There's some other ignorant folks in here as well, what's your point? People are maybe reacting harsher than normal because it's Photo Perzon, they need to think about that as well and read the OP as it stands, not clouded by their pre-conceived notions.

What on earth are you talking about? I had never heard of this poster before this thread, so there are no "preconceived notions". I based my comments entirely on the content of the first post in this topic. Anyone who "needs" to buy 30 cameras in 5 years has a serious problem. Anyone who then feels the need to post about it has an even bigger problem.

archiebald
Like?
Re: whatever
In reply to tko, Jul 14, 2012

tko wrote:

I've learned a few things.

1) In good light, most cameras over $ 200 will do just fine.

Well, you forgot AF, burst rate, tracking speed, turn on time, flash sync, accessories, and a few other things. Aside from that you got it complete

2) The reason to spend over $ 200 is pictures with no flash in low indoor light

It took you 30 cameras to learn that?

The only pictures worth keeping are social snaps with people. Postcards from pros are much better with their 10 pound cameras they lug to tourist events and sites.

So, a cell phone would do you just fine? You have no photographic ambitions at all? No pride in doing it yourself? No desire to get better?

Bottom line is, whether you realize it or not, you've just told us you're not really that interested in photography, so you got a RX100 to take snapshots in poor lighting. A glowing recommendation.

Kind of like going to the performance car forums, and proudly announcing "I just realized I had no need for a fast car, so after 6 sports cars, I brought a Smartcar, which gets me to grocery store just fine." Might be true, but is it really interesting to anyone else besides you?

Personally, I live to take photos. It's another way to see the world. I can respect not being interested, most of my friends aren't, but they don't brag about it.

Very good answer!!

archiebald
Like?
In reply to f8_accpmpli, Jul 14, 2012

f8_accpmpli wrote:

Is this a modern day example of placing an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters (key boards) such that given an infinite length of time PhotoPerzon will produce ... a single photograph worthy of... pick your own ending.

LOL, perfect!!

mistily
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

having a brain that worked in 1977 is no garantee in 2012.
(speaks out of experience)

aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787
Like?
In reply to archiebald, Jul 15, 2012

archiebald wrote:

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego
d) No photographic talent

or e) All of the above.

What a narrow point of view, I'm glad I don't live in your world. Who are you to say what someone should do with their time and money? Who are you to assume someone is trying to impress someone with their purchases when you don't even know them. Who are you to say they don't have any talent, it's subjective anyhow and actually quite irrelevant. Some people enjoy the equipment, checking new things out seeing what works for them, etc...

I suggest growing up and worrying about yourself. You sound jealous and ignorant. Would you say the same thing about someone who likes to collect and work on cars? It's a frickin' hobby man.

Try reading the topic in flat mode. Maybe you will understand that I am not the only one who thinks the OP is a narcissistic idiot with more money than brains.

That's about what I expected for a reply. Failure to answer the questions, failure to stop for a moment and reflect instead of getting defensive and posting a reply that makes sense. You're only making yourself look even more ignorant. As someone else pointed out, whether others agree with you or not has nothing to do with being correct. There's some other ignorant folks in here as well, what's your point? People are maybe reacting harsher than normal because it's Photo Perzon, they need to think about that as well and read the OP as it stands, not clouded by their pre-conceived notions.

What on earth are you talking about? I had never heard of this poster before this thread, so there are no "preconceived notions". I based my comments entirely on the content of the first post in this topic. Anyone who "needs" to buy 30 cameras in 5 years has a serious problem. Anyone who then feels the need to post about it has an even bigger problem.

I'll answer your question, even though you failed to answer or address and of mine. I said "people" and "MAYBE"...My post wasn't only addressing, hence the use of the word "people" and not "you". Several others commented specifically about it being this poster.

What am I talking about? I already made two posts about it and you refuse to address it. I'm not feeling too good about wasting anymore time on someone so close-minded and bitter. You have a funny idea of what constitutes having a problem. Someone who feels they should dictate what others should do with their time and money is the one with the problem. Take that one step further as you did and I'll add that someone who posts such a critique of another's hobby has an even bigger problem.

Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
Re: > photo perzon
In reply to Doug J, Jul 15, 2012

Doug J wrote:

My only issue was the post associated with MIT & that you must be smart. You're old enough now to know that in business a 25+ year old academic credentials get a person an interview, at best. The rest is what a person delivers.

In most cases I'd agree with you, 100%, but there aren't many people wearing the Brass Rat who are looking for a job.

After 25-30 years they've either taken early retirement or they're running the company.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?
In reply to Nell27, Jul 15, 2012

Nell27 wrote:

Doug J wrote:

In most cases I'd agree with you, 100%, but there aren't many people wearing the Brass Rat who are looking for a job.

No doubt there's a lot of truth in that in the US, in Asia it's sometimes difficult to find qualified candidates for technical/scientific roles. We do an occasional import from the US, but it's rare, and relocating half-way around the world requires an adventurous spirit.

After 25-30 years they've either taken early retirement or they're running the company.

I've seen the early retirement bit too often. Our company's roots are in engineering, so many of our senior execs are engineers that crossed over to business. Makes for OK number crunching, and a lot of process focus - measure everything.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

photo perzon
Like?
In reply to Nell27, Jul 15, 2012

Note most Apple senior executives are over 50.

Nell27 wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
photo perzon
Like?
Reviewer says RX100 kills the PEN
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 15, 2012

"The RX100 kills the GF, Nikon 1 and PEN series for me. In fact I was always uneasy with mirrorless being a ‘step-up’ from a point & shoot any way. Those models are now a thing of the past."

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/sony-rx100-review

"The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing. Say goodbye to your Canon S100, Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Lumix GF3 with X power zoom. The RX100 is a better all-rounder than all of these cameras and significantly smaller (with lens) than any current mirrorless offering."

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Reviewer says RX100 kills the PEN

photo perzon wrote:

"
"The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing.

Don't you find this sentence written for idiots to believe? How can a camera "destroy" other.....ah, never mind.....nice pen you have

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

"The RX100 kills the GF, Nikon 1 and PEN series for me. In fact I was always uneasy with mirrorless being a ‘step-up’ from a point & shoot any way. Those models are now a thing of the past."

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/sony-rx100-review

"The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing. Say goodbye to your Canon S100, Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Lumix GF3 with X power zoom. The RX100 is a better all-rounder than all of these cameras and significantly smaller (with lens) than any current mirrorless offering."

Photoperzon, please, please buy another M43s cam; I really miss your trolling and arrogance about being rich over on that forum.

You actually had a couple of good shots; one of your long suffering wife where the WB was correct and one of a toy helicopter that was in focus.

You'll be safe, Tedolph has been banned.

Come on, you know you want to.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Nell27
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, Jul 15, 2012

The Jacal wrote:

Photoperzon, please, please buy another M43s cam; I really miss your trolling and arrogance about being rich over on that forum.

You actually had a couple of good shots; one of your long suffering wife where the WB was correct and one of a toy helicopter that was in focus.

You'll be safe, Tedolph has been banned.

This is off topic but I had to laugh at your comment.

Haven't visited the Micro Four Thirds forum for awhile but always enjoyed reading the epic posts from Tedolph.

How many times has he been banned? He must hold the record.

A lot of people get upset with him, and I can understand why, but you have to admit he makes that forum interesting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads