5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,519
Like?
So what have you learned?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 12, 2012

Other than how to buy and sell cameras? Seems like you ended up right back where you started.

In a way, it's probably good that someone went to all the time and expense to prove what most of us suspected: that jumping through a lot of cameras doesn't really accomplish much of anything, other than costing one a lot of time and money.

The only real difference between the Sony and a micro M43 body is - the Sony can't take extra lenses. If it could, would you have had the same extra bag to drag along, raising the same issues? A single superzoom on a compact M43 body would accomplish the same goal, while preserving the option to change to more precise glass should a situation arise that would benefit from it, like close macro, ultrawide, or long tele.

To each, their own, I guess. The one benefit I get out of your experience is - the next time I think I need to buy gear, this will simply reinforce the notion that I should first work with what I have. I can probably accomplish the same goal by upgrading my experience, thus saving money and adding knowledge that won't be obsolete with the next product cycle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skatterball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
Re: 5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100
In reply to Digirame, Jul 12, 2012

All light is good. Light is just like car colors - all different but still a car. Photos all have different lighting but all are photos. So the argument that any $200 camera is fine in good like is circular.
--
John

stan_pustylnik
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
why are you taking photos?

After I answered this question to myself - it was easy to set IQ goals.

Sice then I'm not breaking head about "ideal" equipment, but buy what is needed to acieve.
--

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.

http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,794Gear list
Like?
what are you doing with....

What are you doing with those 80,000 pics? How can anyone appreciate so many photos? In those same last 5 years I have taken about 10,000 photos many of which were deleted, keeping the best, weed the average out ruthlessly.

Viewing all 80,000 of your photos at 4 seconds per pic would take 89 straight hours! Way too long!

larrys0411
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to archiebald, Jul 13, 2012

Well said Archiebald!

klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 13, 2012

photo perzon wrote:

After all PhotoPerzon does have two degrees from MIT

MIT '75 Mechanical Engineering B.S.
MIT '77 Sloan School of Business S.M.

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award
Winner of the 2.70 robotics competition

He must be smart!

He wishes that he is smart... But still he buys every fancy new model from any camera manufacturer with the hope that he is able to produce a decent photo. Retailers love customers like that. When do you finally realize that it is not the camera that produces crappy pictures ?>

IcyVeins wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

photo perzon you are one of the most epic posters the dpr forum has ever seen

Anyone who claims to have gotten through 30 cameras in 5 years has no claim to call themselves a "photo person" (however badly they spell it).

Seems to me like a simple case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
"If I buy a new camera it will make me a better photographer."

Look for another post in 3-4 months (probably less) with a list of reasons as to why the RX100 is not a good camera.
--

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

Seems to me like a simple case of You Don't Understand The Greatness Of photo perzon. I have read through many of photo perzon's threads. They are incredible reads because I can never tell if he is being serious, exaggerating, or just making stuff up. This is a rare mind the likes of which are rarely seen and unfortunately you are unable to grasp this posters brilliance.

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,245
Like?
In reply to klauspauk, Jul 13, 2012

klauspauk wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award

He must be smart!

He wishes that he is smart... But still he buys every fancy new model from any camera manufacturer with the hope that he is able to produce a decent photo. Retailers love customers like that. When do you finally realize that it is not the camera that produces crappy pictures ?

The word you are looking for is guilible - "adj. - Easily deceived or duped."

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,049Gear list
Like?
Re: what are you doing with....
In reply to RedFox88, Jul 13, 2012

RedFox88 wrote:

What are you doing with those 80,000 pics? How can anyone appreciate so many photos? In those same last 5 years I have taken about 10,000 photos many of which were deleted, keeping the best, weed the average out ruthlessly.

Viewing all 80,000 of your photos at 4 seconds per pic would take 89 straight hours! Way too long!

Look it from a slightly different perspective: 30 cameras (none proven good enough according to this post) - each camera at least 1000 test shots, you know the drill....walls, focus, corners, low light, high contrast, high ISO, details...it goes on so 1000 sounds reasonably low. It wouldn't surprise me there are 70000 test shots - so you are on the mark about 10K...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,787
Like?

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego
d) No photographic talent

or e) All of the above.

What a narrow point of view, I'm glad I don't live in your world. Who are you to say what someone should do with their time and money? Who are you to assume someone is trying to impress someone with their purchases when you don't even know them. Who are you to say they don't have any talent, it's subjective anyhow and actually quite irrelevant. Some people enjoy the equipment, checking new things out seeing what works for them, etc...

I suggest growing up and worrying about yourself. You sound jealous and ignorant. Would you say the same thing about someone who likes to collect and work on cars? It's a frickin' hobby man.

aman74
Like?
Re: So what have you learned?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Jul 13, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

The only real difference between the Sony and a micro M43 body is - the Sony can't take extra lenses.

Ummm, significant sensor size difference.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award

He must be smart!

Do you also post on Amazon under the ID mgauss ? If so, and based on your post here, it seems you have an opportunity to improve in the area of research-before-deciding. Unless you're a collector, nothing wrong with that.

I've hired MIT science grads, none of whom exhibited this seeming logical discontinuity.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to aman74, Jul 13, 2012

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

What a narrow point of view, I'm glad I don't live in your world. Who are you to say what someone should do with their time and money? Who are you to assume someone is trying to impress someone with their purchases when you don't even know them. Who are you to say they don't have any talent, it's subjective anyhow and actually quite irrelevant. Some people enjoy the equipment, checking new things out seeing what works for them, etc...

I suggest growing up and worrying about yourself. You sound jealous and ignorant. Would you say the same thing about someone who likes to collect and work on cars? It's a frickin' hobby man.

Try reading the topic in flat mode. Maybe you will understand that I am not the only one who thinks the OP is a narcissistic idiot with more money than brains.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Jul 13, 2012

Why would anyone need more than 640K?

RedFox88 wrote:

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?

archiebald wrote:

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

Try reading the topic in flat mode. Maybe you will understand that I am not the only one who thinks the OP is a narcissistic idiot with more money than brains.

A person with brains would know that it is a logical fallacy to claim his position is more valid just because others are echoing it. Would you like to run back home and grab what you think are your brains before you take a stab at responding?

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to aman74, Jul 13, 2012

Correct. I am a camera collector, but I purge cameras based on subjective decisions. Like a stamp collector.

In 6 years of collecting cameras I only showed my collection to two people. And in less than 5 minutes.

Now my collection is small. I am getting into small portable cameras for carry along social snaps.

Cameras less than 10 ounces.

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Why would anyone need more than 640K?

Why would anyone need to consume an average of 6 cameras per year?

RedFox88 wrote:

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Jul 13, 2012

MisterBG wrote:

klauspauk wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award

He must be smart!

He wishes that he is smart... But still he buys every fancy new model from any camera manufacturer with the hope that he is able to produce a decent photo. Retailers love customers like that. When do you finally realize that it is not the camera that produces crappy pictures ?

The word you are looking for is guilible - "adj. - Easily deceived or duped."

Thank you for pointing that out. English is still my second language..But I know at least to use a Spell checker : gullible

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
aman74
Like?

archiebald wrote:

aman74 wrote:

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

That's about what I expected for a reply. Failure to answer the questions, failure to stop for a moment and reflect instead of getting defensive and posting a reply that makes sense. You're only making yourself look even more ignorant. As someone else pointed out, whether others agree with you or not has nothing to do with being correct. There's some other ignorant folks in here as well, what's your point? People are maybe reacting harsher than normal because it's Photo Perzon, they need to think about that as well and read the OP as it stands, not clouded by their pre-conceived notions.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

We'll see if the Sony RX100 delivers. I think it will. At $ 650 it is cheaper than the $ 10,000 I spent on cameras (most of which I got back on eBay.) It's been a fun 5 year ride. 80,000 pictures.

I'm sure it can - but, from the number of cameras that you have been through and from looking at all the photos in your gallery, my guess is that you are actually a person more interested in the fine points of different cameras than in the fine points of photography. (I can't seem to find one photo where you have used any of your cameras to anything like their full photographic potential.) Nothing wrong with being interested in playing with cameras. I suspect you are the kind of person who is always going to want the next camera that gets great reviews - even if the one(s) you currently have are more than enough for the photos you actually take.

Many modern cameras are marvelous pieces of engineering - I can understand the fascination.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to IcyVeins, Jul 13, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

photo perzon you are one of the most epic posters the dpr forum has ever seen

I thought I was a big shot with 5 cameras (2 p&s) . A truly humbling experience.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads