5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,651Gear list
Like?
5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100
Jul 9, 2012

I've learned a few things.

1) In good light, most cameras over $ 200 will do just fine.

2) The reason to spend over $ 200 is pictures with no flash in low indoor light

3) If you want portability (7.5 ounces, or half a pound), reasonable zoom, and the latest features, as well as good low indoor light flash free photography (which requires a large sensor), the Sony RX100 gives you all that with its large 1" sensor.

History

5 years ago I started with tiny Sony cameras. Took great pictures with flash with my Sony TX1. Quickly got into the Fuji F30 and Fuji F31Fd which would give you good results at ISO 800. No longer a need to blind people with flash at parties and dinners, as well as getting a more natural look and no red-eye.

Got some P&S zooms, got my great birds shots.

In the quest for better low light results, moved to the Nikon D40 with primes such as 50mm 1.4, 35mm 1.8, and later, the 5 pound Nikon D700 with large lenses.

Took a detour into some long 300mm f4 and 200mm f2 and 70-300mm zooms. Unless you are taking pictures of games, or birds, the long zooms are better left to pros, just enjoy the game instead of becoming the unpaid photographer.

Obviously all I say here is for hobbyists. If you are getting paid as a pro, buy $ 50,000 worth of Leica glass (or $ 15,000 of Nikon or Canon) ASAP.

Tried the Sony 5N and 7 and the lenses were "too large still." Ended up with $ 4000 worth of m4/3 (easy with their $ 500 and $1000 lenses each), but at dinners and parties it was still taking a camera bag by my side, and minding it all night.

I wanted a pocketable, decent "wow" IQ camera. A camera that travels easily in a jacket pocket or a belt clip in a tight black case. My Canon S100 was pocketable, but slow to AF, slow lens, typical small sensor P&S results.

So here is the Sony RX100 with large sensor, latest electronics, panoramic, movies, all sorts of effects. Great IQ pictures posted. Fast AF. 1/2 ounce heavier than the Canon S100.

I sold 25 of my 30 cameras. That includes lenses. I had cameras for all kinds of occassions. My favorite lens was a $ 700 Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 1.5pound lens. Half the weight of the 3 lb Nikon 80-200mm. Was gonna use it to reach low light games and events with my Nikon D5100 at ISO 6400. Did it once in one event. Did not enjoy the event, as I became obsessed to take 400 pictures of the rodeo.

The only pictures worth keeping are social snaps with people. Postcards from pros are much better with their 10 pound cameras they lug to tourist events and sites.

We'll see if the Sony RX100 delivers. I think it will. At $ 650 it is cheaper than the $ 10,000 I spent on cameras (most of which I got back on eBay.) It's been a fun 5 year ride. 80,000 pictures.

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mistily
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: 5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 9, 2012

se me - touch me - heel me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rfclark
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
The entire industry thanks you for your $$$ participation...you'll be missed$$
In reply to mistily, Jul 9, 2012

Am I missing something by owning just one camera body (dslr) at a time (2 total), 2 lenses and shooting about 2-3 k shots in the same 5 years?
--
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/rclarkphotos/?albumview=grid

mistily
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: The entire industry thanks you for your $$$ participation...you'll be missed$$
In reply to rfclark, Jul 9, 2012

in my opinion only the show-off factor.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,281Gear list
Like?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 9, 2012

All you've learned is what works for you, which is fine. Just don't go giving a sermon like it's the gospel that we all should be following. I like fast telephotos and the ability to use off camera flash. I like being able to swap to a macro or an ultrawide as I see fit. I think the RX100 will be enough camera for many people, but probably not for me.

a1shot
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
Re: The entire industry thanks you for your $$$ participation...you'll be missed$$
In reply to rfclark, Jul 9, 2012

Hi all, at anyone time I owned 4 cameras! (1) P&S Waterproof, well you never kno' when it's going to rain. (2) Canon SD900 P&S (3) Leica R6.2+3 Lenses (4) Leica M6..
Oh boy, my shoulders ache at just the thought of lugging all that equipment..
Now:- Leica X1 & Still with the SD900(always in my car) - Less is More...
--
Ima' nice kinda guy!

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155
Like?
In reply to a1shot, Jul 9, 2012

I must be doing something wrong because in 30 years of shooting Ive only owned 9 cameras. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone can go through 30 cameras in 5 years and get to know each and every one of them. I mean, 5 years is 60 months. That means youre buying a new camera every 2 months. WOW!
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,905Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Jul 9, 2012

Total lack of understanding photography or To much money or wanting boost about how much gear or possibly a tiny w*nk*e.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
I can see that - these days I shoot with little Olympus Pen
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 12, 2012

yes, in a way I agree with you, in good light and average scene even the lower end camera will do a great job , I noticed it when comparing photos from my little Olympus SP 350 to my Nikon D 80 [ Sigma 18 - 200 or Tokina 12 - 24].To my big surprise when I view them on my imac monitor both look pretty good and I really couldn't tell which is which but I can because each lense gives me slightly different colours.By the way the Sigma is very sharp but bit too cool , that can of course be adjusted in the PP. There are situations where I definitely will enjoy my wide lens and than when it comes to zoom over 10X I find the need to shoot DSLR. The high zoom on p & s camera definitely comes out as a p & s product. Anything over 10x on little p & s I call " Greek Salad" but some guys don't mind and that's fine with me.
--
Berghof G.C.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,277
Like?

Yes, in good light using a camera worth between $200 and $600 (USD) would probably suffice if there wasn't a lot of action (and depending on the needs of the photographer). That's interesting to hear your viewpoint.

Where I live in the Portland, Oregon area we just don't have many days with good light, so I've been happy using the lower-end Canon and Olympus DSLR cameras and lenses (after using P&S cameras for years). I've probably taken the same number of photos as you have or thereabouts...about 10,000 digital photos each year. The lower end DSLR cameras and lenses I use are relatively light...relative to other heavier and more expensive DSLR equipment. So that's what I prefer also. There is a demand for smaller and lighter equipment and I think we'll see a continual trend for that type of design in the future.

archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

Note: there are many bullies in the forums, they attack people who don't say "Nikon is great" or whatever. Ignore negativity.

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego
d) No photographic talent

or e) All of the above.

IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?

photo perzon you are one of the most epic posters the dpr forum has ever seen

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
photo perzon
Like?
In reply to archiebald, Jul 12, 2012

I'm afraid you won the too much ego and narcissistic bully award bald archie

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Personally I would only pick on any person who said they needed to buy 30 cameras in 5 years.

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,272
Like?
In reply to IcyVeins, Jul 12, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

Anyone who claims to have gotten through 30 cameras in 5 years has no claim to call themselves a "photo person" (however badly they spell it).

Seems to me like a simple case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
"If I buy a new camera it will make me a better photographer."

Look for another post in 3-4 months (probably less) with a list of reasons as to why the RX100 is not a good camera.
--

To err is Human. To really foul things up you need a computer.

IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Jul 12, 2012

MisterBG wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

Anyone who claims to have gotten through 30 cameras in 5 years has no claim to call themselves a "photo person" (however badly they spell it).

Look for another post in 3-4 months (probably less) with a list of reasons as to why the RX100 is not a good camera.
--

Seems to me like a simple case of You Don't Understand The Greatness Of photo perzon. I have read through many of photo perzon's threads. They are incredible reads because I can never tell if he is being serious, exaggerating, or just making stuff up. This is a rare mind the likes of which are rarely seen and unfortunately you are unable to grasp this posters brilliance.

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,272
Like?

IcyVeins wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

--

Seems to me like a simple case of You Don't Understand The Greatness Of photo perzon. I have read through many of photo perzon's threads. They are incredible reads because I can never tell if he is being serious, exaggerating, or just making stuff up. This is a rare mind the likes of which are rarely seen and unfortunately you are unable to grasp this posters brilliance.

Thanks for clearing that up Icy - I obviously didn't realise I was basking in the light of greatness- LOL.

I completely understand what you are saying (but what I mentioned earleir still applies!)
Irony rules...
--

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?

An interesting journey!

Please get back with an update after you get the new Sony and use it for a month or so.

I have an XZ-1, which also meets the shirt-pocket form factor test. Takes great low-light pictures; am curious whether the Sony's larger sensor will deliver significantly better results. Over ISO 800, my XZ-1 images aren't much good -- the Sony should be better, shouldn't it?

On the other hand, the XZ-1 is bright at f/2.5 at full tele, which is wonderful in the dark.

Keep us posted!
--
Jonathon Donahue -- http://jon404.com

photo perzon
Like?

After all PhotoPerzon does have two degrees from MIT

MIT '75 Mechanical Engineering B.S.
MIT '77 Sloan School of Business S.M.

With awards

The Wunch Crane Award
Winner of the 2.70 robotics competition

He must be smart!

IcyVeins wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

--

photo perzon
Like?
In reply to jon404, Jul 12, 2012

The XZ-1 if Oly would have given it noise control it would have ruled over the Canon S100 and Pana LX5 100%

We are also due for the XZ-2

I got better results sans flash with the Fuji X10, also a delight to operate. But the Fuji is larger, heavier, and results with its flash were wanting.

Focus is better with the XZ-1 than with the X10, but the X10 had a larger sensor

And both were over 10 ounces

Whereas the RX100 is 7.5 ounces

jon404 wrote:

An interesting journey!

Please get back with an update after you get the new Sony and use it for a month or so.

I have an XZ-1, which also meets the shirt-pocket form factor test. Takes great low-light pictures; am curious whether the Sony's larger sensor will deliver significantly better results. Over ISO 800, my XZ-1 images aren't much good -- the Sony should be better, shouldn't it?

On the other hand, the XZ-1 is bright at f/2.5 at full tele, which is wonderful in the dark.

Keep us posted!
--
Jonathon Donahue -- http://jon404.com

archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

I'm afraid you won the too much ego and narcissistic bully award bald archie

archiebald wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

It's clear you have;
a) Too much time
b) Too much money
c) Too much ego

or e) All of the above.

REALLY?

Definitely an e)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads