5DIII and old manual focus M42 lenses

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions
Joe Guthart
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
5DIII and old manual focus M42 lenses
Jul 9, 2012

I've got a number of older M42 mount lenses that I've been using on a 30D and 7D and I am now thinking about moving to 5DIII. Hopefully, I'd still be able to use most of these lenses on 5DIII. I know that the Takumar 35mm f/3.5 lens was incompatible with the 5DII and as it interferes with the mirror when focused to infinity. If anyone owns that lens and a 5DIII please advise. Also -- any feedback from owners of the 5DIII who are using M42 lenses is appreciated.

thanks.

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,397Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DIII and old manual focus M42 lenses
In reply to Joe Guthart, Jul 11, 2012

I'm giving you a bump for grins.

Somebody must have an answer for this. All I can come up with is that if the mirror is in the same location with reference to the lens mount in the 5DMkIII as it is in the 5DMkII, the mirror will hit it. That incredible bit of obvious logic took all the brain power I have left. Maybe you can look around for that measurement spec, if nobody comes up with a definitive answer.

I actually filed metal off the rear end of my Takumar 35/f3.5 to get it to work with my 1DsMkII. As a matter of fact I'm just about to file some more off, so it'll work with the 5DMkII.

Initially I shimmed the lens up off the adapter mount, but I don't think it focused properly when I was doing that. It did clear the mirror though and it didn't take much of a shim. I made it out of thick paper.

Anyway, good luck getting an answer.

Joe Guthart wrote:

I've got a number of older M42 mount lenses that I've been using on a 30D and 7D and I am now thinking about moving to 5DIII. Hopefully, I'd still be able to use most of these lenses on 5DIII. I know that the Takumar 35mm f/3.5 lens was incompatible with the 5DII and as it interferes with the mirror when focused to infinity. If anyone owns that lens and a 5DIII please advise. Also -- any feedback from owners of the 5DIII who are using M42 lenses is appreciated.

thanks.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Guthart
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Schwany, Jul 12, 2012

Thanks for the bump ... I appreciate the feedback ... hopefully there are other folks out there using the 5D3 with some older M42 lenses who can add to this.

I did find this via Google (url below) and It looks like the mirror on the 5D3 is 0.45mm lower profile than the 5D2 and classic.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4839.0

I'm not sure I'm ready break out the Dremel tool yet to make things work together.

Schwany
Like?
In reply to Joe Guthart, Jul 12, 2012

Oops, I forgot that my Takumar 35f/3.5 didn't work in any Canon camera I have (APS-C, APS-H, or FF) without either the shim between the lens and adapter or filing the rear end.

A dremel tool although faster for grinding away material would be scary. One slip and the rear element is ruined. It's hard to get a flat file to fit into the space where the rear element is held because the space is smaller that the width of the file, and it's a recessed opening. I put tape over it and cut it to fit in the recess just to be safe.

My Takumar 50f/1.4 works without modification on all the bodies, so using that as a baseline I think (but of course don't really know) the longer focal lengths would certainly work on the 5DMkIII. It's the wider that 50mm focal lengths that are problematic.

The 35f/3.5 is sharp wide open, but it is f/3.5 wide open. If you like that focal length, like fooling around with manual focus, and don't plan to sell the lens, it's worth making the modification. My lens was free, so making the modification was a no brainer. Everything I do is a no brainer. Nothing new there.

Joe Guthart wrote:

Thanks for the bump ... I appreciate the feedback ... hopefully there are other folks out there using the 5D3 with some older M42 lenses who can add to this.

I did find this via Google (url below) and It looks like the mirror on the 5D3 is 0.45mm lower profile than the 5D2 and classic.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4839.0

I'm not sure I'm ready break out the Dremel tool yet to make things work together.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
frauholle
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DIII and M42 lenses w/AF-adapter
In reply to Schwany, Jul 21, 2012

I have a problem withe the so-called AF-confirm-adapter on my M42 lenses: when I attach them to the 5D III it gives an error message "Err01" and it won't release the shutter but instead it seems to look for a firmware update for the lens on my CF-card, and when it doesn't find one it goes into a kind of sleep.

Anyone running into this too?

frauholle's gear list:frauholle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Schwany
Like?
Re: 5DIII and M42 lenses w/AF-adapter
In reply to frauholle, Jul 21, 2012

No replies?

Apparently if one can afford a 5DMkIII, they are required by law to buy Leica manual focus lenses. The old M42 lenses are for the less sophisticated.

I don't use a focus confirm M42 to EOS adapter. I use one of the cheapest ones I could find because I am as unsophisticated as one can get and still be able to type.

Have you confirmed the adapter works properly on another older Canon body? That might narrow things down to an incompatibility with the 5DMkIII.

Have you tried asking this question in the third party lens forum?

frauholle wrote:

I have a problem withe the so-called AF-confirm-adapter on my M42 lenses: when I attach them to the 5D III it gives an error message "Err01" and it won't release the shutter but instead it seems to look for a firmware update for the lens on my CF-card, and when it doesn't find one it goes into a kind of sleep.

Anyone running into this too?

frauholle
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: M42 lenses w/AF-adapter work on 7D
In reply to Schwany, Jul 21, 2012

Haven't tried the other forums yet, but will.

My M42 to EF adapter with the focus confirm chip works perfectly on my 7D. It really helps me getting the focus right when I see the AF points light up in the viewfinder and hearing that reassuring Canon beep.

I am using the adapter on a Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon lens which I really like. It's darn sharp, has hardly any CA and distortion is minimal.

frauholle's gear list:frauholle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Schwany
Like?
Re: M42 lenses w/AF-adapter work on 7D
In reply to frauholle, Jul 22, 2012

frauholle wrote:

Haven't tried the other forums yet, but will.

My M42 to EF adapter with the focus confirm chip works perfectly on my 7D. It really helps me getting the focus right when I see the AF points light up in the viewfinder and hearing that reassuring Canon beep.

I am using the adapter on a Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon lens which I really like. It's darn sharp, has hardly any CA and distortion is minimal.

Well as a Zeiss owner you should get some help then.

Yeah, sharp they are. I think the old lenses seem to be really sharp because the photographer is forced to manually focus on exactly what they want in focus. AF is prone to little errors, which could make a perfectly sharp AF lens look soft.

The 20mm might show a little more distortion on the 5DMkIII frame than it does on the 7D frame.

Anyway, good luck with an answer. You can always buy a cheap no AF confirm adapter and use live view for the stationary shots.

creole
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Joe Guthart, Oct 8, 2012

I would highly advise to %100 make sure the m42 adaptor AND lens @ infinitity do not touch the mirror.

On a 5dMK2 the mirror is built stronger and will withstand a couple jams. But the 5DMKIII has a VERY sensitive mirror motor. When it jams you have  %90 chance that it will permanetnly damage the mirror motor and electronics.

I bricked two 5DMKIII's when using m42 mount takumars (which worked on 5dMKII with no problems). Luckily enough the shop at the time was happy to change over both bodies.

First body came up with ERR201 which is a mirror motor issue. it would just clack and clack and clack and never flip up to live view (video mode), or would not even take stills.

The 2nd body the live view LCD had vertical lines appear shortly after using the same m42 adaptors and takumars. Because i use the 5d3 for primarily video, the vertical lines appeared in the video footage, along with static in the audio.

It is a real shame that i cannot use these takumars on the 5d3 , as they are a fantastic lenses!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads