Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...

Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
Jul 8, 2012

..., along with Panasonic Mirrorless System Talk, leaving this (MFT) forum as it is.

Thank you!

PS: Olympus MILC Talk would be more precise but it would be the butt of endless jokes, I realize.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Err...No
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

One m43 forum, just get rid of or muzzle the rabid fanboy trolls.
(whom are different from just plain vanilla fanboys who can stay ;))

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,098Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

No, prefer a single m43 forum.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,931Gear list
Like?
Just Stop It
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

For the past few months this forum has been dominated by OMD talk. Before that it was dominated by GX1 talk. And before that G3 talk, and EP3 talk, and GH2 talk.

Every time either of the new founders releases a new body, the forum gets dominated. What the short-sighted of both sides ignore is that this is a fundamentally a good thing.

This is a fantastic forum because of the diversity of choices that users have. Panny users can use Oly lenses. Oly users can switch to a Panny body. And back and forth.

SPlitting the forum would substantially harm the photographic experience for a lot of people, because a lot of people use products from both manufacturers. A lot of people compare and contract Oly and Panny bodies. Splitting the forum would harm everybody - except for the short-sighted.
--
http://jcharding.zenfolio.com/

 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Err...No
In reply to peppermonkey, Jul 8, 2012

Sorry but I want a home for my OM-D, without having to wade through all the retarded sensor-denialist etc topics, that's all.

peppermonkey wrote:

One m43 forum, just get rid of or muzzle the rabid fanboy trolls.
(whom are different from just plain vanilla fanboys who can stay ;))

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

I thought we just had one of these threads.

My vote is to keep things the way they are.

 MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Just Stop It
In reply to jcharding, Jul 8, 2012

jcharding wrote:

For the past few months this forum has been dominated by OMD talk. Before that it was dominated by GX1 talk. And before that G3 talk, and EP3 talk, and GH2 talk.

Every time either of the new founders releases a new body, the forum gets dominated. What the short-sighted of both sides ignore is that this is a fundamentally a good thing.

This is a fantastic forum because of the diversity of choices that users have. Panny users can use Oly lenses. Oly users can switch to a Panny body. And back and forth.

Except under my proposed plan this would remain the same except finally I wouldn't have to wade through gazillion Panasonic topics, topics interesting to me (OM-D) wouldn't disappear from the front page within hours etc etc.

Sorry but I want a home for my OM-D, period.

SPlitting the forum would substantially harm the photographic experience for a lot of people, because a lot of people use products from both manufacturers. A lot of people compare and contract Oly and Panny bodies. Splitting the forum would harm everybody - except for the short-sighted.

This is the silliest and most meaningless argument - following your logic all OM-D owners' "photographic experience is harmed" (sic!) every day by the gazillion worthless topic about Panasonic, sensors or lenses.

It makes no sense, to force people to cut through a boatload of irrelevant topics in order to find their interest, not to mention the fact that the dozens of missed interesting discussions due to the unbelievable amount of (often meaningless) topics that push back everything to the second-third-etc page.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to MichaelKJ, Jul 8, 2012

But why? WHy is it good to block someone else's request when it does not hurt your love object ?

The sheer lack of meaningful reasoning shows what kind of mindset we have here - that's exactly what I would try to avoid if there was a place to discuss my OM-D...

MichaelKJ wrote:

I thought we just had one of these threads.

My vote is to keep things the way they are.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to sgoldswo, Jul 8, 2012

But why?

sgoldswo wrote:

No, prefer a single m43 forum.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?
Re: Just Stop It
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

Surely if your split worked, eventually the Olympus mirrorless system forum will be dominated by the next PEN, etc. and you will then again have to wade through those posts to see anything related to the OMD?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cipher
Senior MemberPosts: 2,275Gear list
Like?
No thanks...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

I don't want to have to go through THREE different forums to glean for info/tips/reviews etc. M43 is a standard and it covers gear from multiple manufacturers so it all belongs in one place. I have bodies from Olympus and Panasonic and also lenses from them. If I ask a question about a Panasonic lens on my E- M5, I'm not posting in 3 forums to try to get an answer. Your request reeks of ELITISM...sorry but your E-M5 is not a precious snowflake. Sooner or later a new m43 model will come out from some manufacturer and everyone will be clamoring for it and the E- M5 will become a footnote in the history books...

 Cipher's gear list:Cipher's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

Because the owners of the forum put it to a vote and the vast majority want to keep it exactly the same.

I'm sorry that you don't think that you can interact or learn from others that don't use the OM-D that is pretty sad.

There are plenty of talented people on this forum that have an open mind about the gear and the fact that there are two major manufacturers involved. For those people brand doesn't really matter.

You are newer to this forum but have been really intolerant since day 1. Why not try ease up a bit.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to TEBnewyork, Jul 8, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

Because the owners of the forum put it to a vote and the vast majority want to keep it exactly the same.

Terry:

This proposal is slightly different, namely the MFT forum remains whilst two split ones are formed in addition.

However the reasons given for this new proposal seem too narrow for it to be more than a very minority movement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Umm...haven't you noticed that...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

szlevi wrote:

Except under my proposed plan this would remain the same except finally I wouldn't have to wade through gazillion Panasonic topics, topics interesting to me (OM-D) wouldn't disappear from the front page within hours etc etc.

most of the posts the last few months have been mostly about 'your' OM-D? There hasn't been gazillion panny topics for at least 3-4 months now. If there were...then there has been gazillion gazillion (whatever is exponentially more than gazillion) more OM-D topics. The reason why 'your' topics that interests you have gone to page 2 or 3 in hours is because of 'other' OM-D topics lol. Certainly not Panny. The only Panny related topics that are frequently talked about in the m43 forums lately were Panny lenses. Now if you don't want to see/hear anything about Panny lesnes and ONLY about Oly lenses, well...I think the grand majority here would be against that quite furiously.

Sorry but I want a home for my OM-D, period.

Umm...as far as I can see what 'you' want is your own 'OM-D' forum all to yourself...and from the looks of it, there aren't that many in favour. Well, at least looking at the posting of others anyhow. Besides, why 'should' the OM-D get treated any differently from other M43 cameras?

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to tt321, Jul 8, 2012

tt321 wrote:

Terry:

This proposal is slightly different, namely the MFT forum remains whilst two split ones are formed in addition.

If you read his other posts it does seem like what he really wants is an OM-D forum...not an Oly forum...though he didn't propose it specifically. But that's just my opinion so I'm quite possibly mistaken.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to TEBnewyork, Jul 8, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

Because the owners of the forum put it to a vote and the vast majority want to keep it exactly the same.

Nonsense. The landscape is changing every and as soon as other mfrs will join the MFT fray you will see the new forums.

I'm sorry that you don't think that you can interact or learn from others that don't use the OM-D that is pretty sad.

I never said that, stop putting up another on of your usual strawman arguments, please.

It's about the giving us the choice of getting into the MFT forum or getting in the OM-D forum , plain and simple.

There are plenty of talented people on this forum that have an open mind about the gear and the fact that there are two major manufacturers involved. For those people brand doesn't really matter.

And they could still talk here, in the MFT forum - you know, just like Olympus Talk vs Panasonic vs vs Olympus SLR Talk, they do not come with mutually exclusive memberships.

You are newer to this forum but have been really intolerant since day 1. Why not try ease up a bit.

Ahh, a personal one... it was only a matter of time, I guess - lack of meaningful argument never fails to bring out some personal comment, it's always a safe bet.

Speaking of intolerancy yes, I hate false pseudo-scientific nonsense (eg comparing different shots taken at different focal, exposure etc and declaring some super-stupid arbitrary conclusion) or plain stupidity (see current denial of the Sony sensor in OM-D by certain Panasonic fans etc.)

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to peppermonkey, Jul 8, 2012

I was very clear: I propose an Olympus Mirrorless System Talk and a Panasonic Mirrorless Talk - which one says "OM-D forum"...?

peppermonkey wrote:

tt321 wrote:

Terry:

This proposal is slightly different, namely the MFT forum remains whilst two split ones are formed in addition.

If you read his other posts it does seem like what he really wants is an OM-D forum...not an Oly forum...though he didn't propose it specifically. But that's just my opinion so I'm quite possibly mistaken.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

 szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Re: Think a lot are interested in M43 - rather than one camera.
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

So I'd vote to stay the way it is. If Panasonic comes out with a comparable camera (which they will) or even superior, should a new forum be formed just for it, and then the OMD 6-7-8? and the GH3-4-5 etc. etc.? once the bull was let out of the barn...where would it stop?
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/
"why so serious?": The Joker

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, DPR, please - make a new Olympus Mirrorless System Talk...
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012

szlevi said:

I was very clear: I propose an Olympus Mirrorless System Talk and a Panasonic Mirrorless Talk - which one says "OM-D forum"...?

szlevi also said:

It's about the giving us the choice of getting into the MFT forum or getting in the OM-D forum , plain and simple.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41975839

 MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
Asked & Answered
In reply to szlevi, Jul 8, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads