!EMERGENCY! 'No card in camera' error in 60D

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions
jordy2324
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
!EMERGENCY! 'No card in camera' error in 60D
Jul 7, 2012

Just spent an hour googling and searching the forums, didn't find a real great answer.

In short:
Getting 'no card in camera' error in 60D and weird grinding noise

• Canon 60D

• 7 different memory cards (old and new)

• 7 different batteries (OEM and off-brand)

• With and without battery grip

• With 17-55mm 2.8 lens set to AF and MF

• All batteries and SD cards have worked previously

• Formatted all cards

• Reset 60D to factory settings

More details:

So I'm getting this error in my 60D "No card in camera" and my 60D is making some strange grinding noise. Obviously I've never had a single problem with this camera until 8 hours before a big wedding. We have 4 cameras total, but that's split between 4 people (2 photographers and 2 videographers). There's no rental shops that open in Chicago until 9 a.m, and our shooting starts before then.

Here's the specifics. We just randomly got this message tonight while formatting a 16gb card. We tested 7 different cards and 7 different batteries. We have a few Transcend cards (2x16gb and 1x8gb, all Class 10 cards) 2 32 gb SanDisk Ultras (Class 10... these are brand new and never used) and a few old Optimas we really don't use anymore. We have 2 or 3 OEM Canon LP-E6 batteries and 4 or 5 off-brand batteries. We tested with and without our third-party battery grip, but still got the error and grinding noise regardless.

Tried formatting all cards. No dice. Removed and replaced batteries. Nothing. Reset 60D to factory settings. Still nothing. I'm stumped. I've done nothing different or new with my camera. It's been working flawlessly all week.

Here's where it gets weird. We're getting the "No card in camera" error at random times. It doesn't appear to be any one certain battery or one certain SD card that is triggering this error. Some of the cards have been used dozens of times without fail while the 2 32 gb Sandisk Ultra cards are brand spanking new. We've tried a bunch of different combinations or cards and batteries, yet we're still getting the error at random (and often.... about 75% of the time we're getting the error).

There's also a crazy grinding noise coming from the camera. This happens when the lens is set in manual and autofocus modes. Tried with and without the battery grip.

I'm guessing it might be the camera's SD card reader connectors? If so, what can I do aside from spraying air in it? Anything else it could be?

I'm really looking for battle-tested options. Time is ticking, but my 60D is not.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bigdaddave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?
Send it to Canon
In reply to jordy2324, Jul 7, 2012

ASAP

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nedelcho
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Re: !EMERGENCY! 'No card in camera' error in 60D

The battery has nothing to do with this. Unfortunately your camera is faulty and have to go to the service. Maybe the contacts in your camera SD slot are dirty or oxidized. You can try to blow in the card slot with a blower (if there is something that is blocking the SD card to contact with the "pins"), but I don't think it will help for this case.
--
My gallery:
http://4coolpics.com/author_pics.php?aut=21355

AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?

Sounds like you need to plan for wedding without this camera. And post another thread begging for anyone in Chicago who can lend you a 60D immediately!

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
It doesn't help today but...
In reply to AC1, Jul 7, 2012

The lesson for others.... no matter how many cameras or shooters.... every camera that is important needs a back up... I wouldn't consider going on vacation without a backup.

Sounds like a fix for Canon.
--
http://esfishdoc.com/blog

My Flickr Photostream Slideshow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33755787@N03/show/

My Images at Photo.net
http://photo.net/photos/esfishdoc

pcb62
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Re: It doesn't help today but...
In reply to ESfishdoc, Jul 7, 2012

I'm not sure about your card error, but the grinding noise could be coming from IS. If you have an IS lens, try turning the IS off and see if the grinding noise goes away.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: It doesn't help today but...
In reply to pcb62, Jul 7, 2012

It looks like the SD card reader on the 60D may be a weak spot. Here is a post from another user who is getting the "Card Write Protected" error with his 60D, and one who had this problem and got it fixed by Canon: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=41920956
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, Jul 8, 2012

I had something similar the other day ("no card" error with a good card in it, no grinding noise, camera went dead). I turned it off and charged the battery while I was at work. When I came home and put it back in everything was fine.

realtor
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, Jul 8, 2012

My experience tells me everything you describe is easily solved except the "crazy grinding noise" symptom. Normally, I would suggest formatting the cards in fat32 on various computers until the body recognized the card(s). The grinding noise suggests a major malfunction in the body.

If I was in your situation and time was of the essence, I would beg, borrow, pay the retail price for a new Canon body and get the job done! You can deal with the malfunctioning 60D later.

BTW there is a reason why I think all or most pro digital bodies use CF cards and not SD cards. But, I could be mistaken.

Best of luck to you!

Opinionator
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to jordy2324, Nov 6, 2012

My 60D also has the mes'g "No card in camera" when I turn the power on. Occasionally it will work, but it is random. So the work around is to use the EOS Utility to download the images before importing them into LR4. Of course you can use any software for image editing or file management. LR4 unfortunately requires users to import files to a collection. It is definitely not a bent pin. There's no way a pin can bend. They're secured at the far end of the slot and lay flat. It's impossible to insert the wrong card as some think. Canon contact suggests removing the battery and card for half an error but that's BS. If it works it is coincidence. I watched a UTube video take apart a DSLR to examine and fix the reader component. Halfway thru I turned that video off. The guy takes a screw driver to everything in sight and no one could possibly remember how to put Humpty Dumpty together again. Actually Canon should have manufactured these as modular so they can be replaced w/o having to be a senior technician. I found the best thing to do to avoid frustration is to use the Canon EOS Utility. It's a bit more laborious but the camera works. All the garbage about formating or not is useless verbiage. Of course u format it when u insert it after downloading if your card reader is functioning correctly. And do the same after using the utility.

I  have an unverified theory that it may not be hardware after all. I noticed and this is a guess by a former application developer so take it w/ a grain of salt because it's merely conjecture and I can't test it. But the usual Sensor Cleaning image that shows up on start up is not performed when the "No card in reader" message appears as the first task on start up. So if I were a troubleshooter at the manufacturer not the home grown photographer, I'd suggest looking at the software start up program. If the sensor cleaning has to be performed first and if the s/w is by passing it erroneously then the error catching portion of the program would send a different message and in this case it is throwing the No card in reader message as a default which shuts down the camera image taking function. That's a lot of explanation for something entirely theoretical. You'd have to have the program to see what its performance objects are.

I noticed as have many of you perhaps that the camera won't function at all if the cover hinged to the camera reader slot is not closed. I did have a problem with that cover before this No card in camera event. I don't have a clue how the cover got jammed. But to think a $1000 camera can be shutdown uselessly because of the cover is a joke. My son had to pry the slot cover open somehow. I tried but couldn't. And btw the memory was working just fine when it was stuck in the camera and worked successfully for a while after the cover was opened, the memory removed and formatted and re inserted. Seems like a very weak link in a fairly good product.

Opinionator
Like?
In reply to Opinionator, Nov 6, 2012

I stand corrected. All my conjecture turns out to be idle thought. Here's a valid explanation I just found.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

Now it may not fit your case. But I did notice that only two of the pins in my 60D were still gold plated. The rest have been rubbed clean down to a silvery color. I would suggest that Canon  either make better contacts if possible or warn us. I've taken 29000 shots in two years. I was not aware that the pins were gold to being with and that the gold rubbed off. In the future when I buy a DSLR under the same mechanical circumstances I will not remove the card until a 32GB card is full. Or if possible a terabyte.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to Opinionator, Nov 6, 2012

Opinionator wrote:

I stand corrected. All my conjecture turns out to be idle thought. Here's a valid explanation I just found.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

Now it may not fit your case. But I did notice that only two of the pins in my 60D were still gold plated. The rest have been rubbed clean down to a silvery color. I would suggest that Canon either make better contacts if possible or warn us. I've taken 29000 shots in two years. I was not aware that the pins were gold to being with and that the gold rubbed off. In the future when I buy a DSLR under the same mechanical circumstances I will not remove the card until a 32GB card is full. Or if possible a terabyte.

So much for SD cards being more reliable because they don't have pins like CF cards.

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,433Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Nov 6, 2012

Since this thread is four months old, could the OP please let us know what the fix was for his problem?

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Opinionator
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Feb 4, 2013

There was no fix. But this happened twice after using the camera on vacations taking a thousand shots in less than a week. The first time I set it down 4 a few days after the usual fixes didn't work. I'm repeating the recipe again and hoping luck returns.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads