Focus point not showing

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions
RonS49
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Focus point not showing
Jul 7, 2012

Hello group,

I hope I have the right forum here. If not, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Here's my question: I have a D90, with an 18-200 VRII lens. All seems to be working fine, except for one little point: When I view photos in Capture NX2 or View NX, the focus point does not always show, perhaps 5 to 10 percent of the time. The photos seem to be in good, or at least decent, focus, but the red rectangle is missing in some. I use AF-C autofocus mode most of the time; could this be the cause? The photos lacking the focus rectangle are mostly good, bright shots with plenty of contrast.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanx, Ron

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus point not showing
In reply to RonS49, Jul 7, 2012

I think you may be right, AF-C does not stop the camera from taking a pic if it is just OOF, try putting the camera into AF-S and see if you can recreate the problem, the camera won't fire unless its infocus in this mode. Take a heap of random pics and see if any points are missing?
--
Hotworks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,960
Like?
Normal

RonS49 wrote:

Hello group,

I hope I have the right forum here. If not, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Here's my question: I have a D90, with an 18-200 VRII lens. All seems to be working fine, except for one little point: When I view photos in Capture NX2 or View NX, the focus point does not always show, perhaps 5 to 10 percent of the time. The photos seem to be in good, or at least decent, focus, but the red rectangle is missing in some. I use AF-C autofocus mode most of the time; could this be the cause? The photos lacking the focus rectangle are mostly good, bright shots with plenty of contrast.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Yes, if you are using AF-C, set for release priority, not every pic will satisfy the requirements to turn on the little in focus green light...which in tern enables the red box to show up in View/CpntureNX2. The Pic may still certainly be in focus but the camera may not have actually met the "focus locked" requirements at exactly the time of exposure. Most often occurs when you or the subject is moving towards or away. Worry not, this is normal.

RonS49
Like?
Re: Normal
In reply to Mako2011, Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for that help. Just one thing, though: The photos in which the red square didn't show up are mostly landscape shots; no chance of subject movement toward or away from the camera. Again, full daylight, lots of contrast. Strange, huh?

Any further thoughts?

thanks again,
Ron

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,960
Like?

RonS49 wrote:

Thanks for that help. Just one thing, though: The photos in which the red square didn't show up are mostly landscape shots; no chance of subject movement toward or away from the camera. Again, full daylight, lots of contrast. Strange, huh?

Any further thoughts?

thanks again,
Ron

If the lens was focused out towards infinity, it may have still been hunting a bit in bright light. If every single shot of that type showed no focus lock (no red box/green light) then I might investigate a bit further. If just a few (no more than 20%), I would not worry. AF sensor do seem to take a tad longer to settle down when the target is far away and complicated in terms of contrast. Good Luck

Joking5065
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?

I have noticed the same thing. I also shoot with the D90 and use either the 18-200 or the 16-85. I usually don't look at the photos in ViewNX2 until after I do some post processing. I find that the post processed photos usually do not show the red focus box when viewed in ViewNX2 after being processed. Maybe that is what is going on with yours as well.

RonS49
Like?

Thanks again, Mako. Who knew these things could be so complicated? Everyone but me, it seems ...

Ron

R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
In reply to RonS49, Jul 9, 2012

Just a comment, when shooting landscapes I would never choose AF-C. To maximise DOF its normal to focus using hyperfocal distances, especially with wide lenses. If you have AF-C or AF-S selected and your focal point is quite some distance off much of the foreground may be out of focus?
--
Hotworks

RonS49
Like?
In reply to R Dunlop, Jul 9, 2012

Yes, point taken on that. Thanks. I'm just trying to find out if it's normal for these red focus rectangles not to show up with some regularity in AF-C mode, even if the subject is not moving. It's just a little thing I can't seem to figure out. Any further insights on this?

Thanx,
Ron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads