How to use 60D for Slow Motion video

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions
jlewisFHG
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
How to use 60D for Slow Motion video
Jul 6, 2012

I am new to shooting video with a decent, DSLR camera, especially one that has manual settings. I want to make a video that has a lot of fast paced to slow motion transitions that appear buttery smooth. What settings do I need to change on the 60D that will set me up for taking footage?

Also, I will be using Premiere Elements if you know any additional tips for that.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
asad137
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
Re: How to use 60D for Slow Motion video
In reply to jlewisFHG, Jul 7, 2012

You can set the 60D to shoot at 60 frames per second at 720P resolution. Then slow it down in your favorite video editor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: How to use 60D for Slow Motion video
In reply to jlewisFHG, Jul 7, 2012

Note that even shooting at 60fps, you won't get the "buttery smooth" slo-mo action you see in the movies. For example, for 10x slow motion from 60fps video, you'll be showing just 6 fps from the original video. That's going to look jerky unless you interpolate frames between frames with your video software. The really high speed stuff from the pros is shot at hundreds or thousands of frames/sec and then shown at a much slower frame rate.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 40 years

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads