Tried out the 75mm f1.8 yesterday (images)

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
Tried out the 75mm f1.8 yesterday (images)
Jul 6, 2012

The new Zuiko 75mm f1.8 is officially out today (July 6th) here in Japan. I was at my favorite camera shop here in Osaka yesterday just as they received the first shipment. The sales person opened a box and let me try it out. Since I'm a regular there, they don't mind if I step outside the shop to shoot a few images.

The lens is very nicely made. Feels like a classy piece of glass. The imaged are also pretty darn sharp.

I'd love to have this lens but I'm personally having trouble with the pricing. As is, it costs exactly the same as the Canon 135mm f2 “L” lens which is not only a good portrait lens, but may possibly be the best “L” series lens out there (I often see it referred to as the “lord of the rings”). But, the Canon comes with a hood and case, the Zuiko comes with nothing. The hood is an additional ¥7,500 (close to $100) and the lens cap comes to ¥3000 (roughly $40). As a person who also uses a 5D Mark II, I find it hard to justify at the moment.

On the other hand, I haven't used my 5DII since picking up the OM-D, so, if I get rid of it I'll seriously consider adding this lens.

Here are a few images, each followed by actual size crops. They are all unedited straight out of camera JPEG snaps.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hinting
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: Tried out the 75mm f1.8 yesterday (images)
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Jul 6, 2012

That's exactly what I thought. Good lens but too expensive at the moment.

I have a black GX1 and would rather spend the money on this lens than the EM5. Does the lens look to big on a black camera?
--
:hinting
http://www.redbubble.com/people/hinting/art
https://plus.google.com/115255826572441766446/posts

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +49 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?

Everytime you post it makes me miss Japan...

Thanks for your pics, they reaffirm everything I've heard about the lens, CRAZY sharp, but a bit on the pricey side.

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,488Gear list
Like?

Ahh, I really do miss going to a real street corner ramen shop...the ones in Canada (well, Toronto anyhow) just don't compete.

Anyhow, I still don't understand the gouging with the lens hood and cap...crazy. The lens itself seems pretty nice though. Won't be getting it but that's more a case of the FL just not being my style. Still, if I had $$$ lying around I may jump (err...which will never happen sadly).

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, Fed 2, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?
Chris...

Sorry but you are the closest so it falls upon your shoulders...

Please stroll down to Oly headquarters and remind them that plenty of EM-5 owners who chose the black EM-5 body would prefer a matching black lens.

I read a rumor that Oly might release a black 45 or 75 (i can't remember which).

Until the day comes that a black 45 and/or 75 are available for purchase it is my strongest intention not to enter a camera shop. I really want a 45 too..pity. My 12-50 and 4/3 50F2 will have to do for now.

In any case Oly may need to check their figures on the 12-50, which is sold in either black or silver to see that enough people/users/money spenders prefer a black lens.
BTW-while you are there tell them to hurry and get the E7 out the door.
Looking forward for your report on all of this.
--
Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
peppermonkey
Like?
Ask them to include a lens hood and cap (nt)
In reply to Paul Auclair, Jul 6, 2012

-
Hubert

My cameras: GF1, Fed 2, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky and my wife's old K110D

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
Size on camera
In reply to hinting, Jul 6, 2012

hinting wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. Good lens but too expensive at the moment.

I have a black GX1 and would rather spend the money on this lens than the EM5. Does the lens look to big on a black camera?

No, it's not too big. You can see it in the image of the customer holding it. It is a bit heavier than your average 4/3's lens.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Ricoh GR-D

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
In reply to M Hamilton, Jul 6, 2012

M Hamilton wrote:

Ahh...sorry? You're welcome?

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR-D

Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
In reply to peppermonkey, Jul 6, 2012

peppermonkey wrote:

Ahh, I really do miss going to a real street corner ramen shop...the ones in Canada (well, Toronto anyhow) just don't compete.

They have Street corner Ramen shops in Toronto? Man, I've been away for a long time!

Anyhow, I still don't understand the gouging with the lens hood and cap...crazy. The lens itself seems pretty nice though. Won't be getting it but that's more a case of the FL just not being my style. Still, if I had $$$ lying around I may jump (err...which will never happen sadly).

I don't get it either. I can see it for low end stuff. That's what Canon does too. But for premium items? It's just wrong.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR-D

Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,342Gear list
Like?

Hello

Regardless od the spin one may try when praising this lens, there is absolutelyn NO excuse for not including the indispensable hood on such a lens at that price
the price of the hood is pure greed

Harold

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
M Hamilton
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?

No worries at all, I spent a year there teaching English with AEON, I was originally from Toronto as well.

It was a pleasure shooting there and the fact that they got EVERYTHING for m4/3 first was nice too

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Chris_in_Osaka
Like?
Re: Chris...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Jul 6, 2012

Paul Auclair wrote:

Sorry but you are the closest so it falls upon your shoulders...

Please stroll down to Oly headquarters and remind them that plenty of EM-5 owners who chose the black EM-5 body would prefer a matching black lens.

I am familiar with the "Olympus Plaza" office here in Osaka. In fact, I had images displayed there once:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=33590287

I'm sorry to say I have little clout with them. In fact, I doubt they even remember me.

BTW-while you are there tell them to hurry and get the E7 out the door.
Looking forward for your report on all of this.

I'm not sure I'd hold my breath for that one. Apart from it not being a priority, considering Olympus are back in the news again for back taxes owed and fines on top of that, plus the potential Sony tie up, I wouldn't be surprised if things get a little more streamlined.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/03/us-olympus-taxes-idINBRE86210Y20120703

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR-D

peppermonkey
Like?

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

They have Street corner Ramen shops in Toronto? Man, I've been away for a long time!

Lol, no there aren't any. There are only a handful of ramen restaurants in Toronto, and all are the typical restaurant style locations and half or over half aren't even Japanese. sigh hope to visit Japan soon so I can have 'real' ramen as it's rather difficult to get them here.

I don't get it either. I can see it for low end stuff. That's what Canon does too. But for premium items? It's just wrong.

$40-$50 for a lens cap is just wrong lol. I wouldn't be surprised with that if it was Leica but an Oly? Crazy. There should at least be an option to get a plastic version...

-- hide signature --

Hubert

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?
In reply to M Hamilton, Jul 6, 2012

M Hamilton wrote:

Thanks for your pics, they reaffirm everything I've heard about the lens, CRAZY sharp, but a bit on the pricey side.

yeah me too, nothing like whale sushi.

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
In reply to Harold66, Jul 6, 2012

Well, they are in an absolute horrible financial situation...
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
peppermonkey
Like?
That may be true but...
In reply to MAubrey, Jul 6, 2012

If they sold the hood for say $30 and the lens cap for say $10, I'm fairly certain they will sell and make more money than if they sold it for $100 and $50.

MAubrey wrote:

Well, they are in an absolute horrible financial situation...
--
--Mike

-- hide signature --

Hubert

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
Re: That may be true but...

Granted.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,827
Like?

Nice lens. I like the photos 7 and 12
Leo

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,600Gear list
Like?
Re: That may be true but...

You can pass on the cap altogether since the lens comes with a plastic one, although I will say, the metal cap on the 12mm f2 IS slick ;), and no doubt the normal suspects will introduce an inexpensive third-party hood.

In any event, come December, if not before, I will have this lens.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, Jul 6, 2012

jennajenna wrote:

M Hamilton wrote:

yeah me too, nothing like whale sushi.

Isn't whale meat outlawed? It know there's black-market whale meat, and there are people hunting whales claiming it's for "scientific research", but I didn't know you could walk into a restaurant and order it. Hmmm.... Some things on this earth shouldn't be harvested, but I digress.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads