RX100 Review on Sony Canada

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions
keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
RX100 Review on Sony Canada
Jul 5, 2012

I just read a review on the Sony Canada site where someone, who doesn't actually have the camera, rated it 1 out of 5 starts. The reason?

"... with the max f-stop of 4.9 it gets dropped out of the running. Maybe the next version will hit f22."

He thinks the camera doesn't go beyond f4.9! Seriously?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,593Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to keven v, Jul 5, 2012

may be confusing f stops digital camera lingo f 1.8/4.9 and f stops 35mm equivalent,

which is f4.9/13.4

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Jul 5, 2012

elliottnewcomb wrote:

may be confusing f stops digital camera lingo f 1.8/4.9 and f stops 35mm equivalent,

which is f4.9/13.4

I'm not too sure about that. The fact that he mentions f22 indicates to me that he isn't aware the camera's max aperture is much higher than 4.9 (f11).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,557
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to keven v, Jul 5, 2012

keven v wrote:

I'm not too sure about that. The fact that he mentions f22 indicates to me that he isn't aware the camera's max aperture is much higher than 4.9 (f11).

Being perhaps pedantic here, but the camera's maximum telephoto aperture is f/4.9. Its minimum aperture is f/11.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Geekapoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to trekkeruss, Jul 5, 2012

....well, it is a preety slow lens on the long end. Let's see what Oly and Panny come up with as XZ-1/LX5 upgrades....both companies know how to make killer lenses, the question is what will they do if now going with a 1" sensor. July 17th will be the Panny LX7 announcement..

Richard

 Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,557
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to Geekapoo, Jul 5, 2012

Geekapoo wrote:

....well, it is a preety slow lens on the long end.

I originally thought f/4.9 as pretty slow (which it is), but given the size of the camera and sensor, it's a reasonable trade-off. A wider aperture at the tele end would no doubt make the camera larger and possibly not pocketable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to trekkeruss, Jul 5, 2012

trekkeruss wrote:

keven v wrote:

I'm not too sure about that. The fact that he mentions f22 indicates to me that he isn't aware the camera's max aperture is much higher than 4.9 (f11).

Being perhaps pedantic here, but the camera's maximum telephoto aperture is f/4.9. Its minimum aperture is f/11.

You are indeed being pedantic lol.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to keven v, Jul 5, 2012

So as not to lose focus here lol, you may select an aperture of f11 at any time, zoomed or otherwise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,740
Like?
Go provide feedback.
In reply to keven v, Jul 5, 2012

keven v wrote:

I just read a review on the Sony Canada site where someone, who doesn't actually have the camera, rated it 1 out of 5 starts. The reason?

"... with the max f-stop of 4.9 it gets dropped out of the running. Maybe the next version will hit f22."

He thinks the camera doesn't go beyond f4.9! Seriously?

The reviewer is clearly incorrect. You can provide feedback:

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&catalogId=100803&langId=200&productId=8198552921666459357#reviews

You have to hover your mouse over the white area to the right of the review to see the feedback options, but you might consider doing the following:

Is it helpful? Vote no.

Report as inappropriate? By all means. The reasoning for the poor review is clearly incorrect.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Re: Go provide feedback. Great Idea Tom...I Think Dimitri's Thread Was Deleted
In reply to Tom Hoots, Jul 5, 2012

He was a 'bit' much to say the least....Sometimes you just wonder how people have no clue about self inflicted damage ....What a contrast to the balanced rational respectful intelligent contributions that you always make Tom.
I learn much from you!

Thank you Tom!

Tom Hoots wrote:

keven v wrote:

I just read a review on the Sony Canada site where someone, who doesn't actually have the camera, rated it 1 out of 5 starts. The reason?

"... with the max f-stop of 4.9 it gets dropped out of the running. Maybe the next version will hit f22."

He thinks the camera doesn't go beyond f4.9! Seriously?

The reviewer is clearly incorrect. You can provide feedback:

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&catalogId=100803&langId=200&productId=8198552921666459357#reviews

You have to hover your mouse over the white area to the right of the review to see the feedback options, but you might consider doing the following:

Is it helpful? Vote no.

Report as inappropriate? By all means. The reasoning for the poor review is clearly incorrect.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,135Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 Review on Sony Canada
In reply to keven v, Jul 6, 2012

Interesting
--
Alan.

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
keven v
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Go provide feedback.
In reply to Tom Hoots, Jul 6, 2012

Tom Hoots wrote:

The reviewer is clearly incorrect. You can provide feedback:

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&catalogId=100803&langId=200&productId=8198552921666459357#reviews

You have to hover your mouse over the white area to the right of the review to see the feedback options, but you might consider doing the following:

Is it helpful? Vote no.

Report as inappropriate? By all means. The reasoning for the poor review is clearly incorrect.

Done and done. Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads